carb parts

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

carb parts

Post by HarleyRon »

Well in inherited an 85 spree that has been sitting up in a garage for the last three years. For some reason the carb was off the scooter and most of the parts were in a box. I purchased a new battery, drained the oil tank and fuel tank and replaced the lines on both. I had 130 lbs of compression so all seems good with this motor. So this leaves me with trying to find a carb rebuild kit (Keihin 29DBYA3). Also does anyone have any recommendations for things I should check or replace before getting this mean machine back on the road? Thanks Ron
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Try a clean/rebuild on the carb b/f you buy a kit. The carb was designed to be rebuilt without needing new gaskets (rubber seals). Besides, there's only two jet, and the tiny, non-replaceable idle jet is the most likely to need cleaning.

You might want to pull the head after you get it running. Believe it or not 130# compression is too high (7.2:1 comp ratio,) so the head is probably carboned up and needs cleaned. $5 head gasket and about an hour's work.
HarleyRon
Noob
Noob

Post by HarleyRon »

Thanks for the help noiseguy. Should I go to my local Honda dealer to get a head gasket or do you have a better recommendation? Thanks Again Ron
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Head gasket

Post by Jerry »

Local Honda dealer is the place to get the correct head gasket. I agree that 130 lbs is way too high compression. You're definitely carboned up.
Scoot safely