Starts, runs, wont do crud...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Starts, runs, wont do crud...

Post by Farfignugin »

Hi, I am new to this forum and have purchased a 1985 spree. I have been able to get it running with a new bystarter, airfilter, carb-clean, gas, and battery. Although it starts, it does not run well: Once you give some throttle it dies, also it dose not idle well. I have moved the throttle needle clip from slot 4 to slot 2. Please help, I would love to get my spree running (better).
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

Oh, just remembered, it also sounds like it doesn't get any gas after a bit because it won't throttle up from idle after a few tries to throttle it up.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

The carb is not clean. See my previous posts, you should be able to get it running with your finger pluggin the bystarter port and using some starter fluid to act as the choke. If it will not run with the throttle wide open like I described in that post, your main jet is clogged, or you are not getting fuel from the tank.

If it runs at full throttle and dies at idle your idle pick up/circuit is clogged. If both of those work with your finger in the by starter then your bystarter hole at the bottom of the bowl is clogged and/or the bystarter is not seated properly.

Look at my post and you will find out what the issue is.

Good luck
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration