Fuel Strainer Petcock Assembly Question - 1987 Aero

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Fuel Strainer Petcock Assembly Question - 1987 Aero

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Old Pal Hal sold me this scooter with a complete carb rebuild kit and a new Old Stock vacuum fuel valve. The valve kit has a cyliindrical plastic strainer enclosed in its Honda shipping box but not fitted to the valve. The strainer is closed at one end, and open at the other end. The closed end fits down inside the rubber washer nicely but the open end features a flange that is too big to seat inside the washer. Putting it in the way it fits obviously would stop the fuel from flowing unless there's something I don't know. The Service Manual picture is too fuzzy to interpret.

Also, the new petcock appears to have a smaller locknut than the (horribly rusted) original part. I have not checked but it doew not look like it will fit the threads on the tank fitting. Any assembly hints from experience will be appreciated.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Hi:

Honda uses at least 2 different size lock nuts on vacuum petcocks that are otherwise similar, depending on the model. You may have got a petcock for a different bike. Its also possible the petcock is an aftermarket unit. Some of the petcocks on chinese scooters also fit Honda tanks.

Your petcock may have a thin rod running up the center, over which the filter sits, or just have a nylon filter. If its just the filter with no rod it goes into the tank from the outside through the petcock hole. Then the washer fits over that followed by the lock nut.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for the reply. The replacement is a Honda part - complete with invoice from the distribution warehouse, but definitely a smaller diameter, which would explain why the filter installation is not self-explanatory. I have to figure out what to do about the resin sludge in the tank before deciding whether to exchange the petcock, adapt it with a fitting or ??. I will post my adventures with ancient fossil fuel residues elsewhere.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH