Got a new Honda Dio! NOW SHE WONT START AT ALL

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Got a new Honda Dio! NOW SHE WONT START AT ALL

Post by scooternewby »

So I picked this 94 Dio scooter up today. Im going to attempt to get it running. Im going to start with a good carb cleaning. Before I take it off, can you tell me if this hose should be connected somewhere? Or if it just hang free like that? Its the brownish one in the pic.

Thanks!!

Last edited by scooternewby on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

The semi-transparent orange-y one appears to be the float bowl drain. Confirm by unscrewing the brass screw adjacent the hose a turn or two and see if gasoline flows out - presuming there's fuel in the system.

I can't quite see where the black one goes from your photos, but maybe someone knows this setup. It's definitely different from my Aero.

HTH
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Its a drain for the carb, open the bottom screw and fuel will oce out of it. Its fine where it is.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

THANK YOU
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

So I got the carb cleaned and re-installed. Now the bike has spark, compression AND(i think) fuel. Still wont start. A couple of times when I kicked it over it sounded a little like it wanted to start. It sounded like it fired a little. It just wont turn over on its own and fire up!! Would a little quick start help??
Last edited by scooternewby on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

OH, and one more thing, the end of the plug cable, the end that sits ON the plug is cracked. It fits on fine, but some of the plastic covering the plug is gone.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

scooternewby wrote:So I got the carb cleaned and re-installed. Now the bike has spark, compression AND(i think) fuel. Still wont start. A couple of times when I kicked it over it sounded a little like it wanted to start. It sounded like it fired a little. It just wont turn over on its own and fire up!! Would a little quick start help??
Take the air cleaner off of it, the whole housing. Remove it from the scoot and set it aside.

Take your hand or if you have a friend nearby use theirs, Take the hand and completely cover the opening to the carb so that no air can enter the carb.

With the hand covering the carb opening, proceed to kick over the bike like you are trying to start it.

After a few kicks remove your hand and try to start it again.

The problem is that it has a vacuum petcock on it. So while covering the carb with a hand and while kicking it over it creates vacuum to allow the fuel to fill up that carb's bowl.

Try that and then report back to us.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

What he said^

My spree ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to so much as pop if the carb was run dry unless I hand choke it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

That carb in the picture is different from the carbs I have on both my Dio's. I have one on my desk in front of me off of my 95 that I just cleaned.

Its pretty similar but yet its different. Most noticeably is where the carb adjusting screws are. Must be a replacement type carb that you have because the screws should go from top to bottom, where as that one it looks like 2 of them are side by side.

Dont worry about it though, lets get it running.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

the japan dio is a rotary pump :lol: , if spray carb starting fluid, motor runs.... then need to get new rotary pump. well , remove floor board, and center cover, w/ gas door. pump is there..... :)
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

the screw on a carb, 1st a/f mixture. next is idle screw. the black hose to slide is oil line.

Polini corsa bore kit has a main jet for japan carb will work.
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

ALOW1 wrote:
scooternewby wrote:So I got the carb cleaned and re-installed. Now the bike has spark, compression AND(i think) fuel. Still wont start. A couple of times when I kicked it over it sounded a little like it wanted to start. It sounded like it fired a little. It just wont turn over on its own and fire up!! Would a little quick start help??
Take the air cleaner off of it, the whole housing. Remove it from the scoot and set it aside.

Take your hand or if you have a friend nearby use theirs, Take the hand and completely cover the opening to the carb so that no air can enter the carb.

With the hand covering the carb opening, proceed to kick over the bike like you are trying to start it.

The problem is that it has a vacuum petcock on it. So while covering the carb with a hand and while kicking it over it creates vacuum to allow the fuel to fill up that carb's bowl.

That totaly worked It fired up and ran for around 20 seconds! I didnt try to restart it after that. Too dark in my back yard!

So i'll try again in the morning. Can I expect it to stay running? Or is that just a diagnostic measure?

Thanks so much. Im REALLY happy with the results!
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

scooternewby wrote:
ALOW1 wrote:

That totaly worked It fired up and ran for around 20 seconds! I didnt try to restart it after that. Too dark in my back yard!

So i'll try again in the morning. Can I expect it to stay running? Or is that just a diagnostic measure?

Thanks so much. Im REALLY happy with the results!
It should stay running after that.

Make sure your air screw is adjusted right. Screw it in till the screw is tight. Do not like tighten it or anything just bottom it out, you do not want to put any torque to it, just finger tighten it.

Then you will need to back the screw out from there.

If it is a SA50P then its an Elite SR.
If its an SA50 then its an Elite S.

For the SA50 you need to back the screw out 1 and 7/8's of a turn.
For the SA50P you will need to back the screw out 1 and 3/4 of a turn.

Those are the factory settings.

For the idle speed screw, your going to want to have it running. Take a screwdriver and adjust it in or out till the clutch stops trying to grab. IE you do not want it idling so high that it tries to get away from you. But you do not want it idling to low or it might try to die on you.

Most people suggest putting it on the center stand (kickstand) and adjust the idle screw till the wheel stops spinning when the bike is running.
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

Thats great advice! Where do I look to see if its an SA50P or an SA50?

Thanks again so much.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

scooternewby wrote:Thats great advice! Where do I look to see if its an SA50P or an SA50?

Thanks again so much.
Is it an Elite S, or and Elite SR? Or do you not know?

I believe it will say under the seat when you open it up. There is some stickers there in the tub that would hold your helmet and what not. I believe it says it there and also will tell you the paint code in case you do not know what color it originally was or is.