AERO '87 Carb Cleaning: Mini-Beast

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

AERO '87 Carb Cleaning: Mini-Beast

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

This process is ongoing in tandem with the Petrified Aero Tank. The carb contained the same stuff as in the tank, only less of it and much much harder. I call it Mini-Beast :evil:.

I set the disassembled carb to soaking in a $50. bucket of NAPA Carb Cleaner - the kind with the little basket inside the can. I couldn't get to the carb after 24 hours, so it had a solid two days soaking. Even at that price, this product is my new best friend!

When I lifted the basket I could not believe my eyes: The carb was CLEAN!! Except for a splotch of persistent sludge nestled in the crotch of the "V" at the carb drain in the float bowl, which was easily picked out, there was not a speck of resin anywhere. I could drink soup through the Idle circuit. Beef broth, not chunky chicken. :) Even the nasty-looking vacuum petcock looked pretty good, although not completely clear. The diaphragm appeared to be holding vacuum, i.e. no cracks or tears. The fuel channel was still a bit gummy, but patent to flow. The Beast :twisted: living in the tank is next!

P.O. Hal included the O-ring and Float rebuild kits. The Float Kit contained no replacement float plunger/needle. The Honda dealer parts guy said the float needle is available as a separate part, and is not included in the float rebuild kit. How f'ed up is that? Lucky for me, the original float needle's conical tip was shiny, black and unblemished to these eyes, so I reassembled with it. We will see if a puddle of gasoline forms under the bike when fuel is added. :? At my age a puddle usually means urine.:oops:

Question: One of the O-rings was much thinner material than all the others. It appeared to be about the same diameter as the throttle slide. I do not recall removing such a ring. Anyone know where it goes?

All advice/experience welcome, and thanks.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
roadcapDen
Goped
Goped

Post by roadcapDen »

Not sure Guy, but could just be an extra one as they usually throw in a few or the old one has just swelled up in comparison.

RCD
Wheelman-111

Mystery O-Ring

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Good suggestion, but negative. It's an unique diameter too. Nothing in the carb is close to that size except the throttle slide bore, and it's not apparent where the ring would go in there or why. Still stumped. As Jimmy says, "Just Ride it!".
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

maybe one of these?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nope, got those. The mystery ring is about half to 2/3 of that diameter and quite a bit thinner material cross-section. Still clueless am I.
Wheelman-111
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

im thinking its prolly the "O" ring that goes aroung the electric choke. :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

I second Chevyguyjay on that one. The bystarter o-ring is very thin and fits in the lower groove.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc