2001 vs 1988 elite interchangeability of parts

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

crowbird
BMX
BMX

2001 vs 1988 elite interchangeability of parts

Post by crowbird »

Although they look very similar externally, how are the two models different internally?

I have an 88 Elite LX and a 2001 Elite SR. What can be used interchangeably, or better yet, what parts cannot be used from one to the other?

Thanks,
Crowbird
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

88-01
They all use the same body parts, frame parts, electric parts, tires, forks. Just about everything but the motor.

In 94 they swapped the motor to a dio motor.

so 88-93 everything is the same. then 94-01 motors are different but everything else is the same.

Oh and FYI, that dio motor in your 2001 elite is a tuners dream.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

And the motors use the same mounts so you can swap complete units of any year.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
crowbird
BMX
BMX

Post by crowbird »

Thanks for the information. What does dio stand for, and how is the engine different from the earlier models?

I can see externally, that the plug orientation in the head is at an angle versus the top mount on the '88.

I read a lot of references to dio, but do not know what it means.

Thanks,
Crowbird.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

dio has wider head/cylinder bolt spacing to make room for the giant transfer ports, other than that its very similar to nb50/sa50/se50. all the transmission parts on my aero are for a dio. the exhaust port is parallel to the chassis instead of 45degrees...
Wheelman-111

DIO-Log

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Like most international companies, Honda used different brands for its products. Language differences are studied and Marketing department focus groups dictate what brand name increases the chance for success. Or failure, in the case of the Chevy Nova. It's said to have sold poorly in Latin America because the name translates into "Doesn't Go" in Spanish.

As I understand it, DIO 50 was just the name for the scooters known as Elite here in the US. Powertrain designations SE 50 and SA 50 changed while the brand name stayed the same. 1994 was a Big Year in 2-Smoke Honda-world. In other words, some of the stuff from a '93 Elite won't fit a '94.

Be advised that sometimes companies introduce their new and improved stuff in one country several years before they do in another. That way they can keep selling off the old stuff to folks who don't know any better, while satisfying a more important market with the new. If you know that your particular bike has the SA powertrain, you know stuff for that will fit, whether it was on a DIO, an Elite, or whatever other brand-name it might be.

Wheelman-111
Scooter Recruiter

PS: "Aero" in Mandarin means "Super-happy cacophony of smoke and buzz" :)
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

94-01 elites have the same motor as the japanese honda "Dio"

The Dio motor is an amazing motor that can be highly modded to go speeds of 90+mph.
About ever part you see on it can be replaced aftermarket.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.