adding a kick start to a 1985 spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dave
Noob
Noob

adding a kick start to a 1985 spree

Post by Dave »

I am going to try and ride this scooter year round in WI i am thinking i will need to add a kick start to it and am woundering how to go about doing so. also a few things going through my mind are parts availblity and difficluty. if anyone could help me out on these questions that would be great!!

thanks for the help!

Dave
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

Cheers!! I'm glad im not the only one scootin in the winter time (but if i stop posting during winter months, you should think the worst :(). Anyways my website might help you out a little bit, not much because it gives very basic help. But it does adress the issue, when somone does post the steps you should also tell me if i can use it on my site. Difficulty finding parts, nah! You can talk to some of the people around here, they might cut you a deal, or local newspapers should give some help also. The difficulty about the project itself. Doesnt seem hard, but you really never know until you experience it. GOOD LUCK!
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You need to add a new sidecover with kickstart and change the main pulley for the engine. There's a FAQ about this somewhere... Jim? Contact drichardson@core.com for parts, or check Ebay.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

yes i have one, but its very vague. " Basicly you need to replace the starter pinion, the front pulley, and the side case with the 86-87 versions. I have also heard that the elite side case will work, unfortunatly the aero 50 will not, it is reverse of the spree spinning direction. " I didnt think it was even good enough to put in the FAQ section. Thats all the info I come across in the other forums.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Dave
Noob
Noob

Post by Dave »

so what should I expect to pay for one of these? here is one on Ebay but dont have a clue if its a good deal, is there somewhere I should be looking for parts?

here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WD1V

thanks
dave
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

Thats way overpriced for its condition. Thats rusty and scratched all over, you would have to air sand the rust off. Thats an average price for it in good condition, mines in good condition so i would assume alot are in good condition. Hold out on that one... email richardson with what you want, and talk to popalobster.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide