So the Dio was on the road today, but its "clanky"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

scooternewby
Spree
Spree

So the Dio was on the road today, but its "clanky"

Post by scooternewby »

So the Dio is now a Screamin' Demon thanks to you guys! I had it out on the road this morning to start the break-in of the new piston and rings (not totaly needed, but wont hurt).

So when the scoot is on the road, it idles nice. As soon as I start to accelerate, I start to hear a "clanking" sound from the engine. At least, it sounds like its coming from the engine. Then, when im at a good speed, the sound is gone and it just has that sweet, high idle sound. Kinda like it hits the power band almost! Like on a dirt bike.

Almost sounds like the exhaust is rattling, but not really.

Any thoughts as to where a good place to start looking for the sound might be?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Piston slap?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

well, if the sound is like what mine was, it was the wrist pin bearing. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3C_PSJrMg
~2004 Geely Fashion~
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Piston slap?
Piston slap? Do you mean at the bottom of the piston? Like its knocking on the sides of the cylinder? Or are you speaking about the top of the piston?
Wheelman-111

Clankage

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So it clanks under load only?

Slap is possible. Ask why. Poor fit in cylinder perhaps? Hope not. Ping or detonation from bad gasoline? Try a tank of premium? Too-early timing can cause ping but static timing is reportedly non-adjustable, so not likely. Excessive compression from carbon build-up, shaved head or too-thin gasket - all unlikely on recent rebuild.

Con.-rod has 2 ends. Either/both can get loose. Crankshaft on 2 bearings too. Hope not even more. But with a history of a broken cylinder bolt and rings, this thing has probably taken a hammering! Reassembly without measuring things like con-rod side play at least may have been unwise.

You can run it with extra oil - per-mix @50:1 + pump until it breaks. I think that will happen soon. Or you can dig in again & check the bottom end parts.

Give the gf yours. Only 24 shopping days left...:)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

does it do it at any other time or running condition? sounds dumb, but check the centerstand. i had an awful vibration at all rpms and load conditions, that went away as soon as it was up on the stand. turns out the rubber anti vibration bushing was gone and it was rattling against the frame.
scooternewby
Spree
Spree

Post by scooternewby »

scooterwerx wrote:does it do it at any other time or running condition? sounds dumb, but check the centerstand. i had an awful vibration at all rpms and load conditions, that went away as soon as it was up on the stand. turns out the rubber anti vibration bushing was gone and it was rattling against the frame.
Its funny you mention that! We noticed the scooter does not sit level on the stand, but we never thought of checking that for the noise. I just assumed an engine problem.

Im going to sheck that today! Thanks for the heads up. . .