Taking a spree down hills @ over 40mph

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rekonize
Noob
Noob

Taking a spree down hills @ over 40mph

Post by rekonize »

So, much thanks to you very smart people here and lots of reading of the manual and a few months of bi weekly work. my Spree is running! ive driven it about 50 miles or so since and its been strong, i just have a few small tuning questions...

1. My spree idles kinda high, and without giving it some gas it starts to pull slightly like it wants to move, and if i let it go on its own it will slowly speed up to about 20mph without giving it any gas. ( i have tried adjusting the screws, but if i take it out 1/16 of a turn it the revs lower and starts to die...?)

2. My spree on flat ground gets up to 35 mph, easy, ( i weigh 140lbs) and up hills about 28ish mph. and down hill 40-45 mph. :shock:

while going down hills im afraid something will break, i dunno its revving REALLLLLLLY HIGH ( because of the speed) . in this situation, would you recommend keeping the throttle pinned, or letting off the throttle completely? the speed stays about the same because of the gears i imagine.

3. driving full throttle ALL the time is ok?

4. cheap gas or premium... i know it only costs me about 72 cents to fill up and i can ride all week long.. so price is no concern? i know premium is used for higher compression engines so the combustion is controlled more, but does it matter in 2 stroke?

5. i bought 2 petcocks for 86 sprees,i have a 85 and 86 and found out the hard way that it wont screw onto the tank of the 85. is there any way to adjust the thread or do i have to get ANOTHER petcock... i also heard someone on this forum made their own petcock. is this a possibility?

6. Tires.... best/cheapest place to buy them online?

thats about it for now.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Let off on down hill runs. Clean carb.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Taking a spree down hills @ over 40mph

Post by Bear45-70 »

rekonize wrote:So, much thanks to you very smart people here and lots of reading of the manual and a few months of bi weekly work. my Spree is running! ive driven it about 50 miles or so since and its been strong, i just have a few small tuning questions...

1. My spree idles kinda high, and without giving it some gas it starts to pull slightly like it wants to move, and if i let it go on its own it will slowly speed up to about 20mph without giving it any gas. ( i have tried adjusting the screws, but if i take it out 1/16 of a turn it the revs lower and starts to die...?)

2. My spree on flat ground gets up to 35 mph, easy, ( i weigh 140lbs) and up hills about 28ish mph. and down hill 40-45 mph. :shock:

while going down hills im afraid something will break, i dunno its revving REALLLLLLLY HIGH ( because of the speed) . in this situation, would you recommend keeping the throttle pinned, or letting off the throttle completely? the speed stays about the same because of the gears i imagine.

4. cheap gas or premium... i know it only costs me about 72 cents to fill up and i can ride all week long.. so price is no concern? i know premium is used for higher compression engines so the combustion is controlled more, but does it matter in 2 stroke?

5. i bought 2 petcocks for 86 sprees,i have a 85 and 86 and found out the hard way that it wont screw onto the tank of the 85. is there any way to adjust the thread or do i have to get ANOTHER petcock... i also heard someone on this forum made their own petcock. is this a possibility?

thats about it for now.
1. So lower the idle spped with the throttle stop screw.

2. Back off on the throttle if it concerns you.

3. Yes.

4. Regular is just fine. Premium will not help preformance. If the scooter motor (2 or 4 stroke) had enough compression, then yes premium would be needed. Since 10 to 1 is where premium become required and your scooter motor is in the 6 to 8 range, regular will work best.

5. Either threads match or they don't.

6. Couldn't tell you.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Re: Taking a spree down hills @ over 40mph

Post by Arnadanoob »

That's a sure sign that your carb and/or fuel system needs to be cleaned and inspected. If you are not experienced with any of this, I suggest taking it to a professional to have it worked on, otherwise clean thoroughly and reassemble. Remember, cleaning your carb doesn't involve merely spraying carb cleaner into the carb while it's running. We're talking full disassembly.
The motor revs that high because stock gearing is very short, similar to coasting down a steep hill in 1st gear. The motor in stock shape doesn't have power so the gears need to be setup for that, hence the higher rpms. If the engine is winding-out, back off the throttle.
This is a harder question to answer. For someone who knows how to tune their bike and knows the condition of their setup, I'd say yes. For the novice or inexperienced, I'd say no. Without going into too much boring detail ideally you want to ride varying the throttle while you ride.

The idea behind WOT running over extended duration revolves around 3 key factors (not easily balanced by a novice). The CHT (cylinder head temp) at WOT, oil ratio and fuel condition (jetting) at WOT.
A combination of ambient temperature, compression and load (therefore heat) is the main factor determining what octane you should use. For 90% of the bikes I've seen, regular is just fine. You don't get more power using a fuel with more octane than your engine can use, in fact it'll likely rob you of power.
Both are different I believe, but I'm not 100% certain.
No idea, we buy ours locally. Our prices aren't cheap either since we have to pay extra for aloha tax (shipping costs to Hawaii is terrible).
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Sounds like the idle passages are clogged up. Clean the carb. WOT on the level shouldn't be a problem. Going down a hill at WOT and high speed tends to lean the mixture and overheat the engine. Back the throttle off a bit going down hills.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
Wheelman-111

Fuel Tank Fittings 85-87 Aero

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The 1985 Aero tank fitting is different from my 1987 also. Previous owner, mistaken that he had a 1985 ordered a new vac. petcock for that year. It does not fit the 1987 - threads and size BOTH wrong. You can't adjust the threads.

I went to Home Depot and purchased the parts shown:

The hose is much bigger than the fittings on the scooter, but the Autoparts store serves as a "reducer"/ It's designed to work with large AND small hoses.

I went ahead and purchased a new Honda petcock anyway, more insurance against a leak at the float needle. I'm selling the fitting along with a few odds & ends soon.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

go to bike bandit realy cheap kenda tires