Leaking Oil Level Sensor

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Chopper Man
Noob
Noob

Leaking Oil Level Sensor

Post by Chopper Man »

My 1997 Elite started leaking clean oil. I opened things up and found that the problem was the oil level sensor (picture on page 2-5 of Service Manual).

The cylindrical sensor fits into a cylindrical tube on the oil tank. There are 3 plastic ridges running around the sensor that are supposed to seal against the plastic cylindrical tube on the oil tank. Oil is slipping though. Any thoughts on best way to get this to seal? When new, was there some type of sealant that was applied to the sensor or are the ridges on the sensor supposed to simply seal against the tube on the tank?

Thanks!
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

I have the same problem. When I put oil in the tank I keep the level below the sensor mounting level. The problem with sealing it is that the area is soaked with oil and nothing will stick.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

keithw wrote:I have the same problem. When I put oil in the tank I keep the level below the sensor mounting level. The problem with sealing it is that the area is soaked with oil and nothing will stick.

keithw
Can the fitting be wrapped with some teflon tape?
Chopper Man
Noob
Noob

Post by Chopper Man »

ALOW1: Regarding wrapping the sensor with some teflon tape, the answer is YES - very doable. If the tank held water rather than oil that's what I would have done. But I haven't tried teflon tape because I don't know how teflon tape will hold up in oil.

In the end that's what I may try. But for starters I was trying to figure out how Mr. Honda intended this to seal.

Thanks for your reply!
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

It was intended to seal by the rubber holding the sensor being soft. Since the rubber is now decades old and hard it doesn't seal so well. New rubber bits might be available.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Chopper Man wrote:ALOW1: Regarding wrapping the sensor with some teflon tape, the answer is YES - very doable. If the tank held water rather than oil that's what I would have done. But I haven't tried teflon tape because I don't know how teflon tape will hold up in oil.

In the end that's what I may try. But for starters I was trying to figure out how Mr. Honda intended this to seal.

Thanks for your reply!
I have used teflon tape on hydraulic fittings building lowriders for several years.

In the lowrider car world most people run straight ND30 weight oil in their systems.

It should hold up to the oil just fine.
Chopper Man
Noob
Noob

Post by Chopper Man »

OK, telfon tape it is.

I'll post back here after I'm done to let others know how it worked.

Thanks ALOW1 and keithw!
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Chopper Man wrote:OK, telfon tape it is.

I'll post back here after I'm done to let others know how it worked.

Thanks ALOW1 and keithw!
No problem, let us know 8)
Chopper Man
Noob
Noob

Post by Chopper Man »

I wrapped the upper 2 (of 3) rubber ridges on the oil sensor with 4-5 turns of teflon tape. Problem solved - no more leak.

If had to do it again I would use 10-12 layers of tape. With 4-5 layers it slipped in plenty easy. I'm sure that it would have slipped in fine with 10 layers.

Larry
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

you may want to check if the oil tank tube has a strainer which plugs up, again most people don't know about this= old school :lol:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Chopper Man
Noob
Noob

Post by Chopper Man »

Good point maddog. Mine does have a stainer (it was clean). The stainer is a good thing to check when you've got access.