Runs great when first started then dies when warmed up

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

forewheelerdude
Noob
Noob

Runs great when first started then dies when warmed up

Post by forewheelerdude »

i got a 1985 spree (Iowa) that runs great when first started and idles but it dies out when warmed up. i put a brand new bystarter on it, new spark plug, i have a running carb from an 86 spree also i honed the cylinder, put new piston rings in, milled the head and all new gaskets. im guessing its either the reed valve or bystarter any suggestions?
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

It's the pilot (idle) jet. It is clogged. When you first start it up, the bystarter circuit is letting gas in (like it should) and playing substitute for the pilot jet, but when it warms up and the bystarter closes off the extra fuel, the bike leans out and dies. I bet if you let it cool down for about 30 minutes to an hour, it'll start right back up. My Spree did this for a while, until I figured out that the jet is clogged. No matter how clean you think the carb is, it isn't clean until you can hold it up to a light and see that light through the pilot jet (not the main jet, silly!).

So, to sum it up, clean your carb, focus on the pilot jet, which is the brass tube just offset from the main jet. Don't try to pull it out to clean, the odds are good that you'll break it if you do. Best bet is to soak carb body in an aluminum safe carb-dip for a day at a time, and blow everything out with compressed air every day, until you see that light through the pilot jet. I'm working on markymark's carb right now.....so far it has taken a whole week to get it clean, and I can now see light through it.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
forewheelerdude
Noob
Noob

i JUST took the carb off my perfectly running 86 spree and put it on the 85 spree to see if it was the carb- it cant be the carb
forewheelerdude
Noob
Noob

today i just put on my old bystarter that doesnt have a needle on it and now the moped runs for as long as i want it too, its a little doggish on take offs but when it gets going it has twice as much power as my 86. but it has a high idle and it dies out after 20 seconds of no throttle. im guessing it is running too rich. i still dont get why a brand spanking new bystarter from honda will not work. the new bystarter leans out the motor which then dies out. this has nothing to do with carb problems because i just put the carb back on my other 86 spree and it runs flawless.

Could the electrical wires from the bystarter short out. all i can see is that the connections are good.
Wheelman-111

Reed Valves

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I would check out the reeds next. if there's a tiny gap, it'll run fine as long as the carb is providing a rich-enough mixture - as in bystarter "on". When it shuts down, the air draw is enough to shut things down. I would hazard a guess that it might reluctantly start and barely continues to run if you roll the throttle to Wide Open. That's how mine behaved with a bad reed.

Look again for air leaks, too. It sounds like your carb is just fine, but there's trouble downstream.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
forewheelerdude
Noob
Noob

dang thats what i figured. the reeds have a chip off one side but didnt affect the seal and i was hoping that they were still good. ill probably just run it just like it is. dont want to put anymore money into it. i got over $300 in parts in it.

where can you buy new reeds? the honda dealership discontinued selling them.
Wheelman-111

Carbon Reeds

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I can make them in carbon fiber. They are working well in my Aero at 500 miles and counting.

I need a template - your metal ones is best - an address and a PP Love Offering to Wheelman's Home for Wayward Aeros. PM if interested.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
timcat
Elite
Elite

Post by timcat »

even a brand new by starter wont work in the cold it has to be at least 40 deg to ride a spree i had probs and couldent figer it out but that wax in there has to be in its temp range
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

timcat wrote:even a brand new by starter wont work in the cold it has to be at least 40 deg to ride a spree i had probs and couldent figer it out but that wax in there has to be in its temp range
You keep believing that...
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

I ride my Spree in 15F weather all the time....starts and runs fine...bystarter works beautifully.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
Wheelman-111

DITTO FOR MY AERO

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It hasn't gotten down to 15 degrees this winter here in Deepinnaharta, but several mornings' temps were in the high 20s. No problems at all, after initial bystarter warmup and a brief "hiccup" at about 3-4 minutes after startup. Long live the (healthy) bystarter!
Wheelman-111