late night with sprees---full throttle when I get them start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Prince
Noob
Noob

late night with sprees---full throttle when I get them start

Post by Prince »

Well, both my spree's were in good running condition but for some reason both now have the same problem. I need to use starting fluid to get them running and once they fire up they idle at full throttle. No matter if you twist the throttle or not nothing happens. What do I do about this? In the process of cleaning out carb so I hope this helps. Let me know what else to do.
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

make sure when you installed the needel valve that it went in the right way.
Mystere

1985 Honda Spree.
Front pully mod, 1" longer belt,
gutted pipe, K&N air filter, #80 main jet,
Intake mod, Leo Vince clutch springs,
40 MPH top speed.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

make sure ur carb is not stripped. my spree had the same problem, when my carb was very loose. it would just hold speed no matter how u adjusted the throttle.
projects galore :nerd:
Prince
Noob
Noob

Post by Prince »

carb is not stripped and the needle is in the right way. I can't get this thing to run. Also it will only start with starting fluid. I don't know what to do. Anyone from MI that wants to help, willing to pay. Need this fixed by Saturday Aug 20
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

starting up w/ starter fluid is normal, if u don't do it frequently.

And if carb is fine, I would think you need to re-adjust your idle jet, since that might cause the full throttle at idle problem. Also make sure ur throttle cable works and isnt just stuck in the pulled position. You can check by looking at the carb from the front and seeing how much of it is open when it tries to idle.
Prince
Noob
Noob

Post by Prince »

the throttle works fine I think. before start up I look at the carb and pull the throttle and can watch the needle go up and down. How do I adjust the idle jet. Please let me know.
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

look in tech documents for that one.
Prince
Noob
Noob

Post by Prince »

well, I'm still having the same problems. stuck at full throttle, doesn't matter if I move the throttle or air/mix screw it's doing the same thing
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

just as a general resource here u go:
http://www.scootertherapy.com/advicepage.html

they had a section about spree carb tuning, ill find it and let u know in a bit.

*edit*
here it is:
http://www.scootertherapy.com/carbrepair.html
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

if you come oround my house ill help you out. i am a visual person i have to see everything befor i can ifx it. i live in troy so. if you going to the cruse i wll be too. maby we ma you and darat can cruse in on our sprees.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

it sounds like u have a leak somewhere, thats letting air in prematurely and making it run full throttle. Look around the carb area in general to make sure it looks ok. sry i cant help much more.
Prince
Noob
Noob

Post by Prince »

myspree---email your phone number to fst351@aol.com and I would like you to come by and check these spree's out. I just took it for a ride and basically, no matter even if I screw in the idle and the air/fuel screw in all the way the spree still runs at full throttle. What's up with that?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

1st the throttle piston goes in 2 ways (the wrong way, and the right way). make sure the throttle piston slides all the way down. the spring should follow it partway down. so try turning throttle piston 180 degrees. if that doesnt work it could be a blocked idle jet. (it would idle through the bigger main jet causing it to race).
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Like Vette said look at throttle piston to make sure it is correct, air screw is set right. If all correct you have a vacuum leak behind the throttle between the reed valve. If both are doing it then it sound like you assembled them both wrong. Did you put the orings back on the thermal gasket between the intake and carb? Oring on bystarter?
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
Prince
Noob
Noob

Post by Prince »

vette--I'm sitting here thinking what the * I did wrong but now that you mentioned the throttle piston slide and I checked in my manual. I think what I did was not put the throttle cable back on properly so the round sleeve doesn't make contact with the idle screew. [/list]