After sitting wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

franco
Noob
Noob

After sitting wont start

Post by franco »

I have an 84 spree that I got up and runing after sitting for years. After it sits for a week or so it doesnt want to turn over till I tip her up on the rear wheel and then it goes. It runs pretty good once its going, any suggestions? Another thing I noticed was the screw below the idle on the carb (forgot what it is called) does nothing, I can remove the screw or turn it all the way in and it has very little if no effect on the engine. Thanks in advance.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

... I think you're talking about the lean/rich adjustment. If it's not working your idle jet's plugged. Clean your carb.

I'm guessing (and only guessing) that by raising it on the rear wheel, you're dumping fuel from the fuel bowl into the intake tract. This primes the motor to start (starts idling on the fumes.) Once it's going, it's running off the main jet rather than the idle circuit, which is plugged.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Search on "wheelie" this was discussed like a week ago
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
kwosha
BMX
BMX

Post by kwosha »

yeah i had the exact same problem. there's a good chance it's the automatic bystarter (i.e. automatic "choke"). Basically, if the problem is in this area, it's either that
1. the rubber o-ring that seals the bystarter in once screwed in is fauly. air would therefore be leaking in as you try to start it and this will prevent from starting cold
2. the bystarter itself if faulty and you'll need a new one.

a good test (that i learned from this site) is to take out the bystarter and plug your thumb over the hole (sealing it...air-tight) where they bystater goes and try starting. if it starts up then the problem is likely 1 or 2 above.

you'll find a ton of info on here about the bystarter if you search these message boards. it's a weak link on these scooters and a common problem.

let us know how it goes

Kevin
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

odd...when i stand my spree up on its back wheel it takes a lot longer to start it....
franco
Noob
Noob

Thanks

Post by franco »

well thanks for the input. Ill give them a shot.