Starter bendix binding

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

svoc
Noob
Noob

Starter bendix binding

Post by svoc »

Whenever I try to start my NQ50 the starter bendix turns a little bit then binds. If I have the transmission cover off and hold the end of the bendix with a screwdriver it spins freely. When the cover is on and holding the bendix in place it won't spin. I tried applying some white lithium grease to the bendix. Any ideas?
Wheelman-111

Binding Bendix Blues

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Check to see if your case cover has its black paper-y gasket. Without it, the cover squeezes the starter axis pretty tight, causing The Binding Bendix Blues. (By Willie Nelson, available on EMI Records :) )

The part number you seek is 21395-GR2-306 for an '86. Honda dealers can still get these for most scooters of this vintage.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Is there supposed to be a bushing in the side cover where the starter bendix goes? That is the only other problem I can think of...
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Re: Starter bendix binding

Post by GIJoeBob »

svoc wrote:Whenever I try to start my NQ50 the starter bendix turns a little bit then binds. If I have the transmission cover off and hold the end of the bendix with a screwdriver it spins freely. When the cover is on and holding the bendix in place it won't spin. I tried applying some white lithium grease to the bendix. Any ideas?
I had the same problem. Most likely the Bendix is bent. Replace it and I bet it will work properly.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

teeoce wrote:Is there supposed to be a bushing in the side cover where the starter bendix goes? That is the only other problem I can think of...
If memory serves - no. The bendix shaft seats in the cover's indent, and as Wheelman opines, the cover needs to align perfectly to keep the Bendix spinnin' free.

However, the Bendix MIGHT be ba-* (bent), in which case replacement is in order. Still, the trans cover has to fit properly no matter what.

CaptDan>
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Let me know if you're gonna need another bendix.... I think I have a couple left
Niftyspree
Noob
Noob

Post by Niftyspree »

Think I need one , no one has in Australia.
Will another model fit?

Thank you
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Think I need one , no one has in Australia.
Will another model fit?
No popular US model I know of. Place a post in the For Sale/Wanted forum here.

Baked into the Nifty 50, and Sprees is a single reduction transmission. Their engines rotate CW (viewed at the drive face). The Elite e (SB50) also rotates CW, however the SB50 bendix output side has more teeth (14?). The engine rotation difference was matched with a reversed thread Bendix.

All other scooters popular on this board - Aero 50's, Elite SE 50, 88-93, 94-01 Elite SA50 engines rotate CCW.
Niftyspree
Noob
Noob

Post by Niftyspree »

Thank you! 😊
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

On US Sprees, the 1984/85 models had 10T on the starter motor and 65T on the bendix.
When then 86/87 model replaced them, the starter had 11T and 63T on the bendix.

I'll try and track down Nifty 50 tooth counts. On your side check both your starter motor and bendix tooth count and make sure the seller has the part that fits your scooter.

-- Edit: Add
Found 'Round Headlight' NQ50 parts fiche model as NQ50M.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nq50_model913/

Bendix tooth count tracks US model. The 1984-85 parts fiche does not identify the Bendix output tooth count.
It's 11T far as I can remember.

Model Year Bendix tooth count
------------------------------
NQ50M (E) - 1984 ?/65
NQ50M (F) - 1985 ?/65
NQ50M (G) - 1986 11/63
NQ50M (H) - 1987 11/63
NQ50M (J) - 1988 11/63