It's ALIVE......(barely)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

caruso
Noob
Noob

It's ALIVE......(barely)

Post by caruso »

My son and I pulled my 86 Spree out of 9 years of storage yesterday. I cleaned the carb, drained the tank (no rust?!?), replaced the oil, and cleaned everything I could find. Although I'm waiting on a new air cleaner element and a carb gasket kit, I reassembled everything, and IT ACTUALLY STARTED. (well, kickstarted....the battery is obviously shot.) Trust me, no one is more surprised than I am, but I did gain some points with the 13-year old son!

Anyway, after running it a few minutes, I noticed a fair amount of fuel coming out of the fuel drain hose that exits the back of the carb. I was running it without the air filter just to see if it would fire, so I'm curious whether that could be the reason, or is there something I should look for. Seems that with no air filter, it would be running extra lean. Possibly something with the float?

Thanks,
Wayne Crannell
Sherman, TX
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

I would hold off on running that without the air filter, you may not think its doing any harm, but in fact your running it WAYY to lean, starving it for fuel, you could pop a hole in the top of your piston. About the fuel, make sure that the float needle is connect to the float plastic bobber thingy, theres a spot specificly made so that it sits in the bobber, that may be contributing to the excess gas.
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
caruso
Noob
Noob

Post by caruso »

Yes...I stopped running it and am holding off until the air cleaner and carb gasket kit get here - I did rig up an oil soaked piece of foam from a lawn mower element, but of course that's not not exactly what Honda had in mind, I'm guessing. I figure there's not much point in trying to fine tune a carb that's all jury rigged together with gas leaking out at the bowl. I am a little puzzled about the float, though. It is hard to tell from the manual exactly how this is supposed to be set up. There is what seems to be a lot of play in the float up and down even though the float needle is sitting in the right place.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Wayne Crannell
Sherman, TX
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

gas leak

Post by Jerry »

Quit panicking....the fuel is coming from the drain assembly on the bottom of the carb. Tighten screw and it should stop.

Don't run without a filter - you will run lean.....
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

BTW, the correct airfilter is available at the Honda shop, preoiled, for $3-$4. Not worth you time even cobbling something up.
caruso
Noob
Noob

Post by caruso »

New air filter element, new carb gasket kit = 1 running Spree

Topping out at around 25 mph (Iowa model). New gaskets stopped all gas leaking, and the pre-oiled filter element did need to be oiled properly.

I need to tighten everything on the front end which is pretty squirrely right now, and I am trying to figure out how to get the muffler off so I can clean the carbon out, as I'm getting a bit of bogging in the high end. I did notice that the carb adjustment can be pretty sensitive....even a slight turn of a screw can change things a lot.

Thanks to all for the help.

Wayne Crannell
Sherman, TX
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

After you remove the exhaust, look for a welded-in washer in the muffler pipe near the exhaust port. Bashing out this restriction is good for some HP/speed (2-5 MPH). It was put in to regulate the HP to legal limits in some states.
funplanet
BMX
BMX

Re: It's ALIVE......(barely)

Post by funplanet »

I got this Honda Tact AB07 it is the Japan version of Aero 50. When I got it , has no filter element but have he airbox. The store is not certain if the airbox has afilter element on it. I know it is sop for manufacturers to have one. So I cut to size a one inch thick dense foam. At first start it seem lackiing of fuel so I adjusted the air mix screw to 1 turn out. Then I adjusted the idle speed to a more firm one without dying. I have not road test it yet. Maybe tomorrow. I hope this will help in any way possible to folks with similar situation oin their scooters. Thanks God bless!!!
Funplanet from The Philippines.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: It's ALIVE......(barely)

Post by zuphilius »

New Record!!!!! 6 year old post!!!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.