SPREE DIES UPHILL

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dagny
Noob
Noob

SPREE DIES UPHILL

Post by Dagny »

When my 1986 HONDA SPREE is ridden uphill, it just slows and dies. I called my mechanic, and he suggested replacing the spark plug first, and going from there. I have put 2200 miles on it, and it has about 2500 miles. He also said I may have to rebuild the top end?:?

Yikes. Is this the only option for me?

They have cleaned the carborator recently. I am super frustrated. :x

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)
Dagny

X-files rules!!!
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

It will die going uphill if it runs too lean, check to make sure your air filter lid is on tight, and the air screw is seated correctly (1 7/8ths out). Check all the air passages, and check to make sure you even have the filter element 8O (never know unless ya look). Hope this helps ya man!
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Rebuild the top end? What top end? "Top end" to me involves valves, but it's a 2 stroke.

He may be talking about decarbonizing the head. To do that you remove the head and clean it. Requires a new $5 head gasket from the Honda dealer.

Mess with the carb first; you're due for decarbonization but that shouldn't be the problem.
Dagny
Noob
Noob

SPREE DIES UPHILL!

Post by Dagny »

I think when he said rebuild that he meant rebuild the engine. Good God! Does it need that already?

I put nothing but high end gas in the scooter. Is premium too rich for the little guy?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Uphill

Post by Jerry »

Do yourself a favor and get a compression check. Is this something that it just started doing or what? What incline is the hill? Are you over 200 lbs?

Compression = power. Under 90 and it gets questionable. HOWEVER these are little 49cc bikes. They are NOT going to pull anything up a dirt hill (even themselves). They weren't made for San Fransisco hills either.
If you're talking a moderate hill on a paved road and you weigh less than 200 lbs my guess is the rings are gone.

Incidentally, the 'top end' means jug/piston/rings. The 'bottom end' is crankshaft/bearings etc.

Top end job at dealer about $150
Scoot safely
Dagny
Noob
Noob

Re: Uphill

Post by Dagny »

<<Do yourself a favor and get a compression check. Is this something that it just started doing or what? What incline is the hill? Are you over 200 lbs?>>

I am only 134. The hills are hills I've always done easily, but just in the last 3 days it won't make them.

<<Compression = power. Under 90 and it gets questionable. HOWEVER these are little 49cc bikes. They are NOT going to pull anything up a dirt hill (even themselves). They weren't made for San Fransisco hills either.
If you're talking a moderate hill on a paved road and you weigh less than 200 lbs my guess is the rings are gone.>>

This sounds most logical to me.

<<Incidentally, the 'top end' means jug/piston/rings. The 'bottom end' is crankshaft/bearings etc.

Top end job at dealer about $150[/quote]>>

Does it sound like something I am going to need?

Thanks for your help!
Dagny

X-files rules!!!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Do yourself a favor and find someone with a compression tester and check the compression yourself b/f you haul it into the repair shop for a ring job. It's a quick test that should clear things up for you.
Dagny
Noob
Noob

Post by Dagny »

noiseguy wrote:Do yourself a favor and find someone with a compression tester and check the compression yourself b/f you haul it into the repair shop for a ring job. It's a quick test that should clear things up for you.

I will! Thanks for all your help!
Dagny

X-files rules!!!