Piston Damage

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

happyfallow
Noob
Noob

Piston Damage

Post by happyfallow »

So... Cleaning my piston today, i stumbled upon this little nitch out of my piston. I'm not entirely sure about it, but is it still usable? Or should I start hunting for a new piston? Thanks in advance.[imgImageImage[/img]
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Re: Piston Damage

Post by wiguy05 »

Sure, you could theoretically JB weld the broken spot and sand it smooth (lol) But this is highly unrecommended.

Hitup marc here on the forum (or his eBay account) and have him send you one of his piston kits. At around $25 its not even an expensive repair.

EDIT: LINK
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
happyfallow
Noob
Noob

Post by happyfallow »

Hey thanks a lot, I'll be sure to do so immediately =]
happyfallow
Noob
Noob

Post by happyfallow »

Oh and one quick question wiguy05, does this work for my 86' Spree?
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Correction: Spree Piston Kit

I see he's even throwing in a head and base gasket, whatta' guy :D
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Gotta wonder where that chunk went! This was from a running motor? My dad tells a story where he sold a ford 302 to a guy, when it was torn down for a quick inspection the oil pan was full of piston skirts! Motor ran good and sounded fine.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
happyfallow
Noob
Noob

Post by happyfallow »

Sadly yes it was from a running motor... The whole story behind this is I found this Spree just sitting in the scrap yard waiting to be trashed because someone was too lazy to find an air filter for it, so I took it home and began a complete rebuild on the thing. Cleaning every last inch of the engine, i was cleaning the piston with a spinning wire brush, and not paying attention, my finger must have slipped and the piston was knocked against the connecting arm on the crankshaft punching the cute little hole =/
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dont wire brush pistons. A guy who has been dealing with small engines longer than half of us combined told me not to, forgot his reason.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
coolgangsta24
Noob
Noob

Post by coolgangsta24 »

I can honestly say I did the exact same thing you did. I was replacing an engine bearing and took that exact same chunk out of the piston. I have it all back together now and it all runs great, even with that chip out of the piston. However I'm not sure about the long run (I've only been riding it around for a week or so) when some more metal might come off of it. But seeing how there isn't too much compression going on on that side of the piston I'm not too worried.

You might be able to get away with it like I did.
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

coolgangsta24 wrote: I have it all back together now and it all runs great, even with that chip out of the piston. However I'm not sure about the long run (I've only been riding it around for a week or so) when some more metal might come off of it. But seeing how there isn't too much compression going on on that side of the piston I'm not too worried.

You might be able to get away with it like I did.
:shock:

yeah......good luck dude.

the next chunk that's missing will take out your crank while it's at it. Although, I do know a guy selling a brand new OEM Spree crank....
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
coolgangsta24
Noob
Noob

Post by coolgangsta24 »

If it was that brittle in the first place who is gonna say it wouldn't have happened first thing when I fired up the engine again?

Could be a good thing it happened while it was out of the case.
happyfallow
Noob
Noob

Post by happyfallow »

Thanks a lot everyone for your help, I've found all of your suggestions to be very useful.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

I would personally replace the piston and rings with it, it's not expensive and it's the right thing to do. KM did mention something very vital, you have to figure out where that missing piece went eventually.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.