Keeping Cool With Mods: Jetting and ?? Fan Options?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dude! Swap in a Dio, Already!!

We told you, and told you, and told you...
25%
Nah, we wanna see how fast you get it before self-destruction.
13%
Consider Nitrous Oxide. Plenty cool heads, especially if huffed.
No votes
Better swap in a stock Spree engine and settle for 30.
13%
That CV carb actually runs?!
25%
Carry a 5-gallon can of water rigged to a shower head...
25%

Total votes: 8

Wheelman-111

Keeping Cool With Mods: Jetting and ?? Fan Options?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So Flash II's now running with a high-compression Malossi 47mm/65cc - installed sans gaskets thanks to ScooterWerx's skillful O-Ringing. Also plugged in my own version of Werx's design of SE/SA reed port adaptor, permitting me to install Toasty's tasty CT manifold, which in turn opened up the possibility of the VE24 Constant Velocity carb from the GY-6 150. All this pushing out through the LV exhhaust, and running RPMs in the 8000+ range. Aye, verily there's the rub.

Honda-san didn't anticipate this prodigious power output when his engineers penned the Aero's Spree-based forced-air cooling system. Colder plugs help a little, surely. I've been steadily upjetting the CV carb upwards and beyond the 110 size, but still flirting with 400 degrees F. and the Dreaded Meltdown at WOT for more than a half-minute or so. The 112.5 and 115 jets are in my pocket, but I anticipate that this over-rich mixture will soon approach plug-fouling proportions, and another dead end.

Do any of the aftermarket fans truly provide tangible cooling benefits? Remember daytime temps here in Deepinnaharta, Texas have been over the Century mark several times already, and it's only June. I'm not prepared to liquid-cool this thing, as if such a kit were even available for Vintage 1987 AF05E blocks. I have read about some cooling fans with a predilection for self-destruction. Any Aftermarket brands recommended or to avoid? Do the higher-output fans produce enough additional drag inertia to self-cancel any benefits?? Otherwise, anyone know of an NGK BPR10 plug??
:)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keeping Cool With Mods: Jetting and ?? Fan Options?

Post by noiseguy »

Are higher capacity fans a realistic option? I haven't seen these before. You could try a fan scoop; I don't think anyone's actually tried one with instrumentation to see if it really helps... might be a first.

Your levers are cooler plug (more mass), more air (more cooling), upjetting, less compression, or higher octane (lower combustion temps). What octane are you running, anyway? Higher octane will cool combustion temps while losing some fuel efficiency. How about some AvGas? :D Lowering your compression would help too, at a loss of some power, which I don't think is what you're trying to accomplish.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Helpful Noiseguy submits:
How about some AvGas?
Sheesh, I'm too lazy even to premix (much). I do choose premium at this compression, but apparently not premium enough. 93 octane! Pffft!! Where's Sunoco 260 when we need it??
Lowering your compression would help too, at a loss of some power, which I don't think is what you're trying to accomplish.
Right you are there. I'm going for 60 Knots and holding. (That's 69 for you lubbers...) :)
Your levers are cooler plug (more mass), more air (more cooling), upjetting, less compression, or higher octane (lower combustion temps)
Right again, and an admirably tight concise summary of the issues.
Maybe a giant PVC elbow bolted onto the intake shroud like JDM120etc. had on his Elite? Maybe I should just tape over the CHT display and hope for the best...

I'm installing the 115 this afternoon. If I don't write again manana, it's because I've crossed over in the Space/Time continuum. Or having a Malossi piston disimpacted from my rectum. :oops:
Last edited by Wheelman-111 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

upjet and buy extra plugs.

aftermarket fans are crap, especially if you turn high rpm's.

also, they do make #10 plugs. I haven't run them (8's do fine for me) but my friend is obsessed with keeping his nicasil bore nice and cool, so he likes them.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Hawai'ianBeemer submitted:
upjet and buy extra plugs.
Doing/done that...
aftermarket fans are crap, especially if you turn high rpm's.
All of them? Nobody makes a fan that'll take 9K? Remember Flash's crankshaft is straighter than sinful Wheelman's path to *.

Thanks for the tip on the plugs. O'Reilly's is where I found BPR7s, no luck on 10s in stock. I'll kep looking unless you can name a source.
Wheelman-111
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You can probably do without the R if that's all you can get, might mess with the GPS.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

So Flash II's now running with a high-compression Malossi 47mm/65cc - installed sans gaskets thanks to ScooterWerx's skillful O-Ringing. Also plugged in my own version of Werx's design of SE/SA reed port adaptor, permitting me to install Toasty's tasty CT manifold, which in turn opened up the possibility of the VE24 Constant Velocity carb from the GY-6 150. All this pushing out through the LV exhhaust, and running RPMs in the 8000+ range. Aye, verily there's the rub.

Honda-san didn't anticipate this prodigious power output when his engineers penned the Aero's Spree-based forced-air cooling system. Colder plugs help a little, surely. I've been steadily upjetting the CV carb upwards and beyond the 110 size, but still flirting with 400 degrees F. and the Dreaded Meltdown at WOT for more than a half-minute or so. The 112.5 and 115 jets are in my pocket, but I anticipate that this over-rich mixture will soon approach plug-fouling proportions, and another dead end.
First of all, go with a DIO. Parts and performance potential are plentiful for the AF16E, the conversion is painless.

Choosing plug heat range is determined by the average (mean) range of temperatures your bore (and thus head) will be operating nominally. Some of this will be affected by the ambient temperature of your riding climate as well (a colder/frozen climate will definitely use a plug range much hotter than one from a temperate area). The spark plug choice for a motor that averages 150-250F will differ from one that operates normally between 350-500F. In my experience about 75% of the bikes I see are using plugs of an incorrect range. Colder does not mean better if you don't know what's going on inside the motor. In fact using the wrong heat range of plug will guarantee that your plug chop readings will be incorrect all the time (this is why I despise using plug chops in favor of reading the mixture ring).
Do any of the aftermarket fans truly provide tangible cooling benefits? Remember daytime temps here in Deepinnaharta, Texas have been over the Century mark several times already, and it's only June. I'm not prepared to liquid-cool this thing, as if such a kit were even available for Vintage 1987 AF05E blocks. I have read about some cooling fans with a predilection for self-destruction. Any Aftermarket brands recommended or to avoid? Do the higher-output fans produce enough additional drag inertia to self-cancel any benefits?? Otherwise, anyone know of an NGK BPR10 plug??
:)
Aftermarket fans are junk. If you intend on spinning over 8k rpms, the stock fan will always be the best. Those whistle fans (KOSO) are simply going to blow up, ask the Hawaii guys and they'll tell you from first hand experience. When we used to build drag air cooled bikes, the stock Honda fan was more than sufficient. We even went as far as to shave down some of the fins to reduce drag further and the temps were always in control. I don't recommend altering the fan for a street driven bike as the tuning approach we use for race is completely different from the approach we use for bikes for the street. An AF05E, even radically modded will never see any benefit from altering the fan, it simply doesn't "hit the performance benefit wall" to justify that mod. A Yamaha Jog (or copy) will always outrev a DIO engine without any modding. A Jog benefits incredibly from reducing drag related to the fan because they can spin 15k all day without blowing up, unlike a DIO which tops out around 11-13k depending on the state of tune.

Temperature control on a bike (like everything else) is about total balance. A lot of folks are under the impression that it takes a lot of heat to seize the engine. Your engine can seize at 100F if you don't know what you're doing. I've built bikes that operates at 400F at part throttle all the way up to 650F at full wide open without seizing riding the bike all day, everyday, for several hours a day (although the belt takes a pounding). I've seen engines that seized with 15:1 oil ratios as well.

The "basic" tuning formula is this, how well you execute it depends on a combination of parts availability and your experience.

- Determine what kind of riding is going to be done.
- Determine the way the rider intends on riding the bike (part throttle, wide open, spirited, etc.)
- Choose a bore and pipe combination that compliments that style of riding.
- Tune the carb and trans to the pipe being used.
- Install CHT gauge and have the rider take the bike around for a spin, noting operating temperature range.
- Put at least 300 miles on the engine before taking a plug reading, noting mixture ring.
- If the mixture ring is good but the plugs shows rich, go 1 step hotter on the plug range.
- If the rider plans on riding for long periods between 1/8 to 1/4 throttle with some 1/2 thottle periods, go 1 up on the pilot jet.
- Based on the average riding temp of the engine, now choose the best oil combo for that purpose. Always start with 32:1 (4 oz per gallon) and rejet if necessary. There's no such thing as an oil that's ideal for 200F temp avg riding all the way to 600F peak temps. Don't change the plug heat range as you've already determined that earlier.

Good luck with your project WM. :D
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
Wheelman-111

Noob Weighs In

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thank you for that comprehensive explanation, Professor A. You've given me a lot to think about.

I screwed in the 115 this evening. Temps stayed below 350 but it was cooler between thunderstorms. Mid-80s. Is my guess. Incredibly, it didn't "feel" rich, but ran pretty well all around. Mostly I ride surface streets with lots of stops and acceleration at WOT to the speed limits of 45-ish to stay with traffic. That seems to require about 1/4 throttle, and the temps cruising steady at that speed read 300 now. No chance for top speed runs tonight. I can't see my TinyTach anyway but the engine seems to be in its powerband with the 5.5s. More later.

I now know to stick with the stock fan.
Wheelman-111
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

I've seen 3 koso fans blow first hand (2 greens and 1 pink). I keep extra stock fans on hand but haven't needed to use them yet :)

treatland.tv has plugs up to 9, although it's up to you if you need em

Nice breakdown on the name, but I haven't been lucky enough to own a BMW motorcycle yet, so I'm a "bimmer" owner ;)
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

808BMW's correct, those green and pink fans are garbage and annoying noise makers. Unless your bike is going to remain stock, stay away from them.

I would normally start with a 7 or 8 (NGK scale) heat range first and see how it goes. On a normal, near stock bike without any custom porting, a 7 range would be ideal for most tropical climates. On a DIO setup where bolt on mods like bore and pipe kits are installed, an 8 plug works best, mostly because the rev range will increase several notches.

A 9 plug is rather too cold for most bikes, even DIO engines with race porting can be tuned very well with a 8 plug. 9 range plugs would perhaps be warranted for those messing with different fuel blends (oxygenated fuels), 10% nitrometh or in areas that are very dry with searing heat. Dry weather will make the jetting run a tad leaner so you'll have to compensate with larger jetting. Higher ambient temps (95F and above) should jet 1 step richer, even if it comes at the cost of the plugs fouling more. Most riders spend 75% of the time in the slow circuit of the carb (in relation to the throttle position), so you can adjust your tuning there. For carbs with an air screw, you can experiment by turning the screw inwards between 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. In = richer, out = leaner. Remember to only make 1 change/adjustment then test for the resulting effect.

Hawaii's known for very humid weather (which makes jetting biased towards being richer so it requires them to downjet to prevent being overly rich) and higher ambient temps. The salt content in the air also affects jetting in such that it thins out the air content to make it run richer, which is why a lot of the Hawaiians appear to be using jet sizes much smaller than what you can get away with in the states, especially in regards to the choice of the main jet size. This is why some of the bikes tuned "on edge" of being on the mark will run erratic when the climate changes from a searing hot and dry day to a cold rainy day.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The 115 seems to be close enough. I will get to try top speed runs this afternoon if the weather permits. Last night the CHT seemed to stay at or below 350, above which I get nervous. Once again I've violated my own rule about making only one change at a time, but I switched between two variators and 2 different belts to see if I can also improve my acceleration from stopped. Polini versus Malossi: The Battle for Variator Supremacy...
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

And Now The Upshot

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Investigating an annoying rattling at idle, worried about the worst. Finally pulled the Right panel skin and found the sheetmetal cylinder shroud dislocated from the plastic blower intake. Just a quarter-inch gap at worst, but some of that forced air was drifting aimlessly around the inside of the panels. Fixed temporarily with angle brackets and sheetmetal screws. Anybody got a straight metal AF05E cooling shroud??
Wheelman-111
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

You might just be in luck! I think i have one!

Let me go look right now as a matter of fact, and shoot me a pm if you're interested!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I didn't realize those shrouds were metal. The one I have is plastic... what year(s) are metal?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The part over the fan is black plastic. The part that was bent (by the P.O) is over the cylinder. It's an '87. I was worried about crank bearings and such. It makes an awful racket when it's not nested in the plastic part. Lets half your cooling air out before it cools the head, too...

Thanks to Toboggan and to GIJoeBob for kind offers of assistance.
Incredibly my call to Deepinnaharta Honda found that there are two (2, count 'em) PN 19620-GN2-621 cooling shrouds in Texas warehouses available in 48 h. For $22 bucks I can't go wrong...

I should have posted this earlier, sorry.
Wheelman-111