Chinging sound at full throttle

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

zajaco
Goped
Goped

Chinging sound at full throttle

Post by zajaco »

I need some help from the professionials :worship:
I was out doing plug chops tonight an noticed a high pitch chinging sound at full throttle. The sound at full throttle was persistent but not constant. In other words, it would ching for a few seconds and then stop for a second or two and then start again. If i backed off the throttle a bit lowering the RPMs and overall speed the sound would go away. I'm not sure where the noise was coming from but I suspect the gears or clutch. All my mods are listed below. Maybe someone can point me to a starting point?

I noticed this noise before when I was riding my scooter at low speeds during the winter. I suspected the noise was because the motor had not fully warmed up and didn't really worry about it.

Also, while doing my chops, full throttle was getting me to about 47mph. With all my mods I would expect a little higher than that.

Mods: (1988 LX50 Elite with a '98 DIO)
28mm oko (145 main)
CT intake
Corsa Bore
Keli Vari
5g weights x 6
SEF ramp plate
Keli clutch
1500 center spring
8:1 gears
PG long
1988 LX50 Elite DIO
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Chinging sound at full throttle

Post by Trafficjamz »

I have heard the same noise
:imo:
Maybe it is centerstand vibration.

Maybe its the electric start bendix rattling around and hitting the start pulley's teeth.

Those are my guesses.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

Unless you weigh 500 pounds that setup/gearing should yeild at least 60, can you prop it up on a stand and make it go wot and look around for where the noise comes from?
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

aerorob wrote:Unless you weigh 500 pounds that setup/gearing should yeild at least 60, can you prop it up on a stand and make it go wot and look around for where the noise comes from?
wow yeah ....I did not read before that you were doing 47mph at WOT

8.1 gears? what tooth count is that?

I just worked on a 44mm dio with 8.4 gears and it went over 60mph.

Do you think the "Chinging sound at full throttle" is the cause of your slow pace?
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

zajaco wrote:I need some help from the professionials :worship:
I was out doing plug chops tonight an noticed a high pitch chinging sound at full throttle. The sound at full throttle was persistent but not constant. In other words, it would ching for a few seconds and then stop for a second or two and then start again. If i backed off the throttle a bit lowering the RPMs and overall speed the sound would go away. I'm not sure where the noise was coming from but I suspect the gears or clutch. All my mods are listed below. Maybe someone can point me to a starting point?

I noticed this noise before when I was riding my scooter at low speeds during the winter. I suspected the noise was because the motor had not fully warmed up and didn't really worry about it.

Also, while doing my chops, full throttle was getting me to about 47mph. With all my mods I would expect a little higher than that.

Mods: (1988 LX50 Elite with a '98 DIO)
28mm oko (145 main)
CT intake
Corsa Bore
Keli Vari
5g weights x 6
SEF ramp plate
Keli clutch
1500 center spring
8:1 gears
PG long
what belt and variator are you using? take the starter gear out and see if the noise goes away.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
zajaco
Goped
Goped

Post by zajaco »

Im a dainty 215lbs... So I am not crazy that 47 is unacceptable :smile: I'll try and get it on a stand and see if I can duplicate the noise. If I can't, I'll take off the center stand and starter and run it down the road.

I'm not sure of the tooth count on the gears. I'd have to pop the cover off and check. It may not be a bad idea to do that anyway and check the fluid. Just to make sure the noise isn't the gears. I don't think the noise is slowing me down. I don't feel any hesitation when I hear the noise.

I'm using a Keli vari with an SEF ramp plate and the stock belt. Maybe the belt has stretched, is that why you are asking??
1988 LX50 Elite DIO
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

zajaco wrote:Im a dainty 215lbs... So I am not crazy that 47 is unacceptable :smile: I'll try and get it on a stand and see if I can duplicate the noise. If I can't, I'll take off the center stand and starter and run it down the road.

I'm not sure of the tooth count on the gears. I'd have to pop the cover off and check. It may not be a bad idea to do that anyway and check the fluid. Just to make sure the noise isn't the gears. I don't think the noise is slowing me down. I don't feel any hesitation when I hear the noise.

I'm using a Keli vari with an SEF ramp plate and the stock belt. Maybe the belt has stretched, is that why you are asking??
I have never heard of 8.1:1 gears is why I asked about the tooth count. I don't think you noise is comming from there.

Belt stretch or flat spots on rollers, could be the reason for the low top speed.

I think the chingy noise is the startter bendix rubbing the front pulley.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

I had that same sound on my Ruckus, the kick start would hang down a bit and chingy-chingy until I pulled it back up.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
zajaco
Goped
Goped

Post by zajaco »

I'll check the starter and kickstand tonight. I bought a multipack of rollers from Daywot so I will throw in the next set higher and see if that improves my speed.

The gears are actually 8.2:1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FINAL-DR ... arQ5fParts

Thanks for the help guys.
1988 LX50 Elite DIO
zajaco
Goped
Goped

Post by zajaco »

Does anyone know what the belt deflection should be?
1988 LX50 Elite DIO
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

zajaco wrote:I'll check the starter and kickstand tonight. I bought a multipack of rollers from Daywot so I will throw in the next set higher and see if that improves my speed.

The gears are actually 8.2:1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FINAL-DR ... arQ5fParts

Thanks for the help guys.
do You have a 72cc corsa?

I would expect your setup to go at least 65mph

What size tire? Is your restrictor plate in place?
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

zajaco wrote:Does anyone know what the belt deflection should be?
??? just nice and tight

Deflection is hard to measure with a variable rear pully.
zajaco
Goped
Goped

Post by zajaco »

Yes, I have the 72cc corsa. Restrictor plate???? I assume you are talking about the one in the stock exhaust pipe? If not then maybe.

I am running the Michelin S1 Performance Scooter Tire (3.50J-10)
1988 LX50 Elite DIO
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

I'm going to go with starter, or if your rollers are really flat spotted, they can rattle I have heard.

The restricter plate they are talking about is the brass colored plate that screws to the back of the variator, thet could be a reason for the sub par speeds.

As long as its the right belt, and its free of signs of wear, your belt is most likely good.

And if that is all good, the low speed makes me think serious carb tuning issues

Keep us posted!
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
zajaco
Goped
Goped

Post by zajaco »

I'm running a Keli vari. I don't recall seeing a brass plate on it but I will check.

I'm running an OKO carb with a 145 main which may be slightly rich. There is really not much to the carb so I dont see how that could drop me 10+ MPH but who knows. I am running 32:1 premix... I have seen threads talk about going to 40:1 and some say stay at 32:1. I'm not sure if that is contributing.

As far as a new belt... Is an OEM replacement best? Or, are there aftermarket ones I should look at in the event I need a replacement.
1988 LX50 Elite DIO