86 Honda Spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

sprig22
Noob
Noob

86 Honda Spree

Post by sprig22 »

I am planning on racing this year with my spree i just put the 48mm bbk on there and it is actually slower than my stock spree right next to it i put a fmf shorty pipe on a high flow air cleaner and the kit came with a jet max speed 25 it sucks i can go thirty on my other one with nothing on i need help i want to be competive this year not last any ideas? thanks
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 86 Honda Spree

Post by fastplastic »

racing it how? the nq50 was the wrong motor choice for almost anytype of racing but it sounds like your suffering from 48bbk sysdrome aka the fixed ploit jet is screwing ya so you have to keep jetting it to find that happy medium between rich and really rich good luck :thumbwink:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I told you on eBay. You are running a straight pipe with a shory on it. You will not get the gains you are looking for with that application. You need to create an expansion chamber then attach the shorty to that. You cannot just make a stright muffler with a shorty on the end and expect good results.
An Expansion chamber is an exhaust system used on a two-stroke cycle engine to enhance its power output by improving its volumetric efficiency. It makes use of the energy left in the burnt exhaust exiting the cylinder to aid the filling of the cylinder for the next cycle. The muffler you made is not doing this and a stock muffler would actually work better than what you made.

Hope this helps
Taz
sprig22
Noob
Noob

Post by sprig22 »

yes that did help thank you. i just put the stock muffler back on and it is faster and i just ordered a expansion chamber for it hope that helps even more. also wondering what the gears you offer for the spree would do for it? and new clutch springs what do you recommend? thanks for any tips, advice .
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Spree motor is limited. Very few performance mods.... If you want power Dude, swap in a Dio!
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
sprig22
Noob
Noob

Post by sprig22 »

where do i find one? are they spendy and do they match up easy?
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

If you need a gear ratio upgrade send me PM. And as for the dio swap you need to fab the engine bracket. You can find out how to make one on this forum.

taz
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

The combo of the gears, and Taz 44mm big bore kit, as well as 3.0 tires get me 38 mph every day. Prior to install my top speed was 27 mph.
1984 Spree With Taz BBK and Gears
1988 Seawind 24 Catamaran
konaking
Spree
Spree

Post by konaking »

Waste money trying to build up a spree motor. You should have picked up a bare elite block for 150 or so and just built that on the side until your ready to swap it for your spree motor. More bang for your buck. :coolcruise:
sprig22
Noob
Noob

Post by sprig22 »

ELITE 50cc? and do those mount up to the spree pretty easy? also where do you look for these engines craigslist?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I heartily disagree with KonaKing. There is challenge and dignity in making any engine as fast as it can be. Getting an Aero or SA50 up to 40+MPH doesn't take much skill or talent, but making an unvariated NQ/05 go that fast sure does, and the effort should be applauded, not derided. If you follow KonaKing's logic, then upgrading an Elite or Dio is a waste of money too, because it'll never be as fast as say, a Hayabusa. A few people were heard to say some discouraging words to me when I decided to modify my Aero, which eventually approached 60MPH despite being "not a Dio".

That said, the SB (Elite "E") and NQ 50 Sprees do impose some compromises in the Take-Off v. Top Speed department because they lack a CVT belt drive. The cost for the necessary upgrades can escalate to nearly as much as it takes to modify the Variated blocks, and the resultant Spree almost certainly won't be as fast and/or take off as quickly.

On the other hand, you already have the Spree block to work on and time plus perhaps a little money to spend. Go for it, sez I. The $100 you'd have to spend on an SE/05 will purchase about half of the Essential mods for the Spree to Be All That It Can Be. (44 or 48mm Big-Bore Kit, and taller Final Drive gears, both from TazLand.)

If you do choose to swap a variated engine in, there's one in the WTB/FS section right now. Browse the Scooter Parts sections of eBay - blocks in various condition pop up all the time. Craigslist usually features complete scooters, but parts appear there too.

Whichever way you go, good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

what kind of racing r u doing
hammer
Goped
Goped

Post by hammer »

I agree with Wheelman. Why butcher 2 scooters to "swap in a Dio". If you want a Dio just buy an Elite.

Attached is a Spree project I done for my daughter. I used all stock parts and it will pull my 235 pounds 35mph with no problem. I used the 1984 Spree gear ratio. However I did use a 2.75 tire. I wanted it to pull the hills at the University of Arkansas so I didn't opt for a pulley mod or the the taller gears. I only used the bigger tires to achieve a larger tire patch.

BTW that is a NOS windshield. Also includes the glove box option and honda floormat. Other adds include and ipod amp and waterproof speakers in the mirrors. Trunk was an ebay purchase.
My last project
My last project
New ride II.JPG (110.31 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You have a stock spree with a windshield that does 35 mph?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
hammer
Goped
Goped

Post by hammer »

I didn't say it was stock. What I said was all the parts where stock. There is a difference. Most everything was massaged a little. I guess it only fair to say I did use the sb50 intake and reeds. Stock parts but not stock to the nq50. (shoot me)

The scoot actually runs 37mph with the GPS but my butt wasn't on it. Doesn't matter. Top end was not the goal on this project. I wanted an improved bottom end and still dependable. I got both.

BTW while messing with the final tune-up I rode with and without the windshield. If anything the windshield helped. I am 54 years old and 6'2" at 235#. I would look stupid bent over like I was on some crouch rocket. With the windshield on it slipped though the air just fine and didn't hurt the top end at all.

I just got a second NOS windshield last week and plan on using on the next built which will also include an expansion chamber, 17.5 Arrechi carb, manual choke, 48 mm BBK, Taz gears, Tach, CHT Gauge, aftermarket shock and 2.75 tires.