Spree performance

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nytelyte
Noob
Noob

Spree performance

Post by nytelyte »

I got my '86 Spree up and running, but ran into a problem. As I accelerated it did fine for about the first 300 feet, but then started sputtering a bit. I turned it around, then playing with the throttle a bit, it took off again, fine. then sputtered again and so forth. :*: I put a new ngk plug in it (heat range 6) as recommended in the manual. I checked the air cleaner, and there wasn't any filter in it, so, no air restriction there.Carb is adjusted to 1 1/2 turns out. Idles fine, ect. I have no idea as to why it flattens out like that (no power for a bit) and then seems to recover. Anyone have any ideas on this? Or have you had this problem, and how did you resolve it? I would appreciate any input, Thanks!
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Re: Spree performance

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

Id definately throw a filter in there and report back.
Un-filtered air + Engine = Angry, Unhappy Engine :evil:

Lol, if you want less restriction then drill a few holes in the air filter cover. There are a few posts about the hole drilling on the forum somewhere.
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

Rty
Petrock's 1984 Spree wrote:Id definately throw a filter in there and report back.
Un-filtered air + Engine = Angry, Unhappy Engine :evil:

Lol, if you want less restriction then drill a few holes in the air filter cover. There are a few posts about the hole drilling on the forum somewhere.
NO just replace tge filter. If you drill holes it will make it worse
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

alot of people, including myself have run into problems with their mopeds without air filters. they preffer to run with air filters installed, or they run like crap and in some cases don't run at all.
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
nytelyte
Noob
Noob

Post by nytelyte »

Well, I went to my nearby Honda dealer, and guess what?? They could order the air filter I needed for the grand total of $5.10! It will be in next Wednesday. He also said it could be the needle valve, and, if I cant get mine clean, he could get me a new one for about $5. Life is looking up! :jack:
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

Haha yeah i love my local honda place. Great people! :smile:
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

i love the prices, but my local honda dealer is run by a dude who seems to think anyone that owns a moped instead of a dirtbike isn't at his level. d***...
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

killerpancake wrote:i love the prices, but my local honda dealer is run by a dude who seems to think anyone that owns a moped instead of a dirtbike isn't at his level. d***...
That's call a stupid businessman. Anything that makes you a profit is good. Driving off customers is the road to bankruptcy. My parts guys call me their "favorite scooter guy."
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
banzijo
Noob
Noob

Post by banzijo »

ok the idle fine then sputter upon accelartion for a couple sec then pickup again sounds like a fuel problem. I would bet its your stupid vacume petcock starting to fail. idle is just enough to let just enough fuel into carb bowl to run but then when try to accerate it cant keep up for a few sec untill the vacum is enough to open it. i have owneed a couple differnt sccoters with those stupid vacume petcoks and they ran better after i replaced it with a regular manual shutoff. just dont forget to shut them off.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

banzijo wrote:ok the idle fine then sputter upon accelartion for a couple sec then pickup again sounds like a fuel problem. I would bet its your stupid vacume petcock starting to fail. idle is just enough to let just enough fuel into carb bowl to run but then when try to accerate it cant keep up for a few sec untill the vacum is enough to open it. i have owneed a couple differnt sccoters with those stupid vacume petcoks and they ran better after i replaced it with a regular manual shutoff. just dont forget to shut them off.
Oh, I agree it is a fuel problem but it has nothing to do with the petcock. I will bet the idle mixture screw is maladjusted and needs to be enrichened. This is a classic symptom for too lean an idle mixture on a 2 stroke with no accelerator pump. See it several thousand times.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree