6-Hour Endurance Race - Spree Upgrade Tips/Recommendations

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ginj
Noob
Noob

6-Hour Endurance Race - Spree Upgrade Tips/Recommendations

Post by Ginj »

G'day All

I've just brought my first Nifty 50 with the intention of having a blast riding locally and taking part in a 6 Hour Endurance Race, later in the year. The Spree was brought off a older gentleman who had brought the bike new from the dealer back in 1986 and was very well looked after, I cruise around 47 kph(29 mph) and if I really tuck down with my chin on the speedo I can just make a smidge over 50 kph(30 mph); this is on the original speedo so I realise this might not be completely accurate.

However, while I'm happy with the performance now, I realise I may have to mod my little Nifty 50 to compete in this mopedathon, the only regulations being that your bike must be a two-wheeler and no bigger then 50cc. This means that I will be competing against both bucket racers and pit bikes( however there is a seperate Step-Through competion; I dream of winning the whole thing though :D ). I've scanned the forum and the Wikispreedia on the paths I can take to upgrade my scooter, but reliability has to take precedence.

What I'm keen to hear is what you guys think would be the best path to take?

Should I keep the engine stock, focus on my riding style and get some decent tyres?

Or should I follow the outline listed here:

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... _and_Spree

I'd really like to utilise the experience that I've read about in these forums to better help me both compete and enjoy my scooter.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 6-Hour Endurance Race - Spree Upgrade Tips/Recommendatio

Post by odinxxix »

keeping it 50cc only leaves you one choice, unless you can do some porting. pm tazland001 hes has gears for the spree. he is the only one to have them. oh and if your doing the ebay thing he is chopchop123 here in the states.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Ginj
Noob
Noob

Post by Ginj »

Cheers for the quick reply,

I've got the tools for porting, but would this require any changes to the airbox or exhaust? If so, I'll have plenty of time to get it all sorted :) I pulled off the exhuast the other day when checking the rear brake - I'm pretty sure Honda didn't design a piece inside the muffler to roll up and down :lol:

What ratio would you recommend?
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

If it were mine, my first task would be to return it back to its "stock form glory" by doing the following:

- De-carbonize the exhaust (fire pit method)
- Check the compression
- Replace the air filter (oil it, of course)
- Replace the rear gear oil
- Check tires and tubes for cracking and pressure
- Inspect cooling system (fan, shrouds, etc)
- Inspect belt and pulley faces/clutch

Also, with running for 6 hours straight, I'd look into modding the clutch cover to cool that baby off!
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

wiguy05 wrote:If it were mine, my first task would be to return it back to its "stock form glory" by doing the following:

- De-carbonize the exhaust (fire pit method)
- Check the compression
- Replace the air filter (oil it, of course)
- Replace the rear gear oil
- Check tires and tubes for cracking and pressure
- Inspect cooling system (fan, shrouds, etc)
- Inspect belt and pulley faces/clutch

Also, with running for 6 hours straight, I'd look into modding the clutch cover to cool that baby off!
If 50 cc is the only requirement then keeping it stock is a waste of time. The only time there is heat created in the clutch is when coming off the line. Otherwise the clutch is locked up solid and creates no heat.

The Taz (tazland001 on the forum here) gears is a good idea for a marathon as acceleration is not as important as fuel economy and top speed.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
If 50 cc is the only requirement then keeping it stock is a waste of time. The only time there is heat created in the clutch is when coming off the line. Otherwise the clutch is locked up solid and creates no heat.
Oh really? 25 year old clutch pads will lock up 100%? What about 25 year old bearings? I'm sure they are 100% efficient as well.

And I already know your next post...."the only heat generated will be negligible, trust me I raced 657 years ago blah blah".

6 hours non-stop on a Spree will make some heat.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

wiguy05 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
Oh really? 25 year old clutch pads will lock up 100%? What about 25 year old bearings? I'm sure they are 100% efficient as well.

And I already know your next post...."the only heat generated will be negligible, trust me I raced 657 years ago blah blah".

6 hours non-stop on a Spree will make some heat.
Your fantasies are overriding reality again. A clutch that does not lock up, very soon burns itself up. Basic physics not your strong point I see.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

Ginj,.......please define bucket racer.......Best on you this race .....I see you have no difficulty with ambition......would like very much any link you could post to the event, curious...... :urban:

How many km/mile in the circuit you will be running :?: .....track or street :?: .....elevation changes :?:

Consider a build thread.......pix are always enjoyed...................... :urban: ....rock-on
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ginj
Noob
Noob

Post by Ginj »

Thanks to all that replied,

I've PM Taz and I'm waiting for a reply regarding a pulley set, as for a loose definition of a bucket racer: Bucket Racing is a form of motorsport that started up in New Zealand and Australia around the 1980's. It was intended to be the cheapest form of motorsport on offer by using ex-commuter bikes with a maximum size of 150cc stripped of all road-going componentry. This further developed and nowadays 50cc "buckets" are quite common(The name comes from the term 'bucket of sh*t').

As for the track, it hasn't been designed yet; however it is on a airport taxiway so it's pretty flat. I've also been told they only include a couple hairpins, otherwise the geared buckets would destroy us scoots. However it's normally quite tight in that it causes the buckets to slow down whereas the scooters and pit bikes can shoot through at WOT. I'll try and see what I can dig up regarding event promotional material.

Here's an example of a 'bucket':
Attachments
Bucket.jpg
Bucket.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
motormike

Post by motormike »

AH, well......the image is now engraved on my brain......much irony that your choice of bucket-bike pic happens to have the label "Kentucky"........the statesiders understand.......a good laugh..... :bowrofl: .......most "mopeds" fit in the same category.......but nowhere does it say that pretty=fast.......... :twisted: .........With airport tarmac to run, and only a couple of hairpins, the struggle will be difficult to keep pace with geared buckets......Is there any purse, or are you racing strictly for bragging rights ?.......thanx for your efforts to satisfy my curiosity......hope this forum will help you along the way......................................... :coolcruise:
RideRed
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for sharing this interesting racing on a shoestring budget concept.

Racing for 6 hours on a Spree, I'd start by addressing its 2-quart fuel capacity. Pit stops is Slow.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Post by Ricerider »

If you bore out the intake, and raise the exaust port timing with a dremel, you will get 33-34 on a flat with a 160pd rider. Have done this on stock airbox, jet and drilled exaust
01 SA50 72cc Malossi/Ct Intake/28mm OKO Carb #130 main
PG Long/9:1gears/RuimaVar8G/1.5K springs
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Now my question are you going to try to run it 6 hours straight?? And what will the heat be like?? Are there any hills or mountains in this race? d*** I feel sorry for that spree. lol.

taz
motormike

Post by motormike »

Ginj wrote: As for the track, it hasn't been designed yet; however it is on a airport taxiway so it's pretty flat
shout out to the "Taz"
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

tazland001 wrote:Now my question are you going to try to run it 6 hours straight??
Now my question,....do they run Le Mans 24 hours straight??........endurance would indicate a continuous action......I'm thinkin' pit stop mandatory unless bike is set-up with 2+ gallons fuel........What an awesome claim.....Headline:...."TAZ GEARZ wins New Zealand Enduro"......hey Ginj, I smell a sponsor................ :urban:.......too bad the 50cc restriction and all.......no taz bbk........ :cry:
RideRed