28mm oko issue

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

28mm oko issue

Post by evilone »

Just noticed today that my 28mm oko is leaking at the "drain" tube at very bottom of fuel bowl. It points out when carb is installed. It's dripping on my front trans cover and it's not running very smooth. Sound like float adjustment? I did notice about a week ago when changing jets that one float was crooked/bent. I bent it to match other float and now i noticed the leak. :roll:. Is there a source for oko carb parts? Or does anyone know what to adjust float to?

2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

OKO Drain Issue?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Unless fuel is overflowing from above and just dripping from the lowest point, that tube is the bowl drain. There should be a screw adjacent. If it's worked loose, the drainpipe will leak.

Most floats are adjusted to the horizontal, but I'm not sure the float is the problem. Investigate the drain screw first.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 28mm oko issue

Post by burnt_toast »

actually crazy thing is thats NOT a drain tube :shock:

it IS actually the overflow, note the tube protruding from the bowl leading up to fuel level, when fuel goes over that it flows into the inner tube and out at the side spigot

not sure of actual float level but i've found tab length to be optimum between 2.01 and 2.13mm

just had to deal with float issue as it was causing fuel cut, info further in thread
http://www.forumshawaii.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=516978

plz post in performance.. anything past stock is considered performance and easier to distinguish thx
projects galore :nerd:
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Did you take it off and bend it? I don't know the name of it, but that tiny metal cone that the float sits on is pretty delicate. If your float level is fine and it still leaks I'd check/replace that (it may just be dirty, mine was a few days ago).

Scooter_wolfpack has rebuild kits on ebay but I've heard a few complaints about them
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

808- That's the float needle, if i'm not mistaken!
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Aha! Thanks, I don't have a parts diagram to look at like stock parts.

They're all just keihin copies right? Swap the idle screw so it's easier for us and copyright issues? :P
It'd be #8
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

#8 stuck fuel float valve.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I really don't see what the problem is. If you bent the one side of the float, you obviously got it out of adjustment. So bend it back. Now that you've got it out of adjustment, you may have to play with it to get it back right.

If the oko is anything like a stock carb, there will be two tubes, one the intended drain tube, and also an overflow tube. So Wheelman and Toast are both right.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

For those careless (or simply unfamiliar) with removing the fuel bowl of an OKO or Keihin PWK carb, they might tweak the float by torquing it, bending it out of shape. This occurs often when someone tries to remove the fuel bowl while the carb is right side up. This has the effect of either placing the float either too high (which floods the carb and induces fuel cut symptoms) to fuel starvation symptoms (where the bowl is more or less empty of fuel) because the float is now sitting too low.

The 28mm OKO does not have a drain tube, they only have a drain nut (17mm) at the bottom which provides easy access to the main jet. The tube is an overflow tube.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Float height should be 19mm from bottom of the float to the gasket surface.

I like to set mine first with a ruler, then check by GENTLY blowing down the fuel line and moving the float. The point at which resistance is first felt is when the valve just closes. You can re-measure at that point to make sure, and it also checks that the valve is sealing correctly.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

[quote=arnadanoob]For those careless (or simply unfamiliar) with removing the fuel bowl of an OKO or Keihin PWK carb, they might tweak the float by torquing it, bending it out of shape.[/quote]

I think that's what happened :oops:. The unfamiliar not careless :). Thanks for the "19mm" answer clivester.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Seems ok now. I had to adjust 1 of the floats and needle looks good.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I am having oko carb issuses too.

It just pours gas out when it feels like it.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
sprite2011
Spree
Spree

Post by sprite2011 »

I posted the same issue last week. Only drips when running meaning on throttle is open. I ran a tube to the rear. Too busy with my metro to even figure out what's happening with it.
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

I am having the same issue, just dumps gas out when the throttle is opened... Did every one else find that it was a float bowl adjustment issue?
Plus my carb came sans diagram explaining whats what, just a parts diagram. Is the straight out port on the back side a vacuum port/oil injection port/ or a line that vents to the atmosphere?
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame