New to forum, mods for a dio

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Re: New to forum, mods for a dio

Post by JJ Joseph »

hughjass63 wrote:Here is the problem in short: This dio will go fine flat out, but does not accelerate well but rather splutters it way to power
Out of all the discussion above, I didn't get if you changed the bystarter. :imo: Bystarter Hondas won't run with a duff bystarter. It's not a choke, it's a fuel enricher, and when it's duff, extra fuel pours into the intake. So it will start OK when cold, but bogs down in acceleration. It will likely run OK at WOT, but otherwise it's useless. It draws the extra fuel from a little pocket in the corner of the float chamber, which in turn is fed from a tiny jet-like pin-hole within the float chamber. Check that the bystarter valve seals its valve properly when it's fully extended. The valve seat could be rough or full of rubbish, thereby not sealing and flooding your engine. Spend some time figuring out how the thing works and you'll be hugely rewarded :thumbsup:
hughjass63
BMX
BMX

Post by hughjass63 »

Thanks for the post noizeguy. Some time back I checked the movement of the bystarter and noted that it was moving. However, I am not convinced that it moved that much. I just cleaned the whole carb thoroughly, put in a carb reconditioning kit, and then put it back together. No improvement.

There is an identical new keihin carb (including bystarter) available on ebay which I would be prepared to buy. But it would only be worth it if it was really the problem. It is about AU$80 delivered. Therein is my lament. I will only know if I buy it if it is the problem or not.

When I get back to the dio, I will look at the bystarter again, and measure it properly this time.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards - jon
'93 Dio AF18E 80cc big bore variator kit (chronic sickness), Honda Today NVS50, 05 Superblackbird akorapovic 4in1 (smashed)
hughjass63
BMX
BMX

Post by hughjass63 »

Well I may as well just come out and say it - 'I have bought a 4 stroke scooter'.

If anyone is still there, the situation unfolded as follows:

I could not, for the life of me, get the dio going properly. I then thought, my final effort will be to buy a brand new identical Keihin carb on ebay, and that would have to fix my problem. I had previously researched the carb and believed it to be the same one, but when it came time for the purchase (some time later) it seems the carb for sale was now something different. When it eventually arrived I discovered it was a keihin scooter carb, but not mine. No dimension looked the same so could not even be fitted.

I did note, however, that the bystarter looked similar, so removed it and put it on my original carb. Unfortunately no change to problems that I have had with running the engine. Still started okay but then would only run flat out or just bog down.

The situation had now been going for several years, so I bought a smashed 4 stroke Honda Today NVS50. Straightened the forks, replaced the front wheel with the dio wheel (identical) and I now have the Today going. It is gutless, but it does go. have used a lot of my learned knowledge from the dio to getting it up and going. Have already modded the pipe.

I have not given up on the dio completely believing that if I get a upgrade premix carb, get rid of the autolube, and it will probably go very well. After all, I have spend much time and some money on it, new BB and variator, so want to have it going.

Thanks again to everyone who has patiently helped me with the dio project, but at this time it has just got the better of me.

Jon
'93 Dio AF18E 80cc big bore variator kit (chronic sickness), Honda Today NVS50, 05 Superblackbird akorapovic 4in1 (smashed)
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Sorry to hear that, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move forward.
hughjass63
BMX
BMX

Post by hughjass63 »

thanks sanjuro. it is what I eventually thought. I might also add that several months ago I wrote off my 160hp honda superblackbird and nearly killed myself. I think the event got me thinking on a more pragmatic line, so I moved forward, this time with a 3.9hp honda today nvs50. It is terribly gutless. have cut off original muffler (extremely restrictive and heavy) and fashioned a new one out of an aluminium water bottle and the remains of my Blackbird Akropovic muffler. Seems very loud but seems to accelerate alright.

Anyway sometimes life is what it is, despite one's dreams.

Jon