Uneven Acceleration

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

fatcharlie
Goped
Goped

Re: Uneven Acceleration

Post by fatcharlie »

Checked the Variator against my stock one and saw no more play in the DDX.

Pulled apart the drive pulley and measured the spring, the service manual calls for an 88.8mm service limit on the spring and it measured out at over 90 ony calipers.

Cleaned out and re greased the shaft that the movable sheave runs on and took a test ride. The jury is still out on whether or not its fixed. I'll ride for a few more days and post results.

One question. My buddy has the Daytona white contra spring from his ruckus that he is not using, I'm debating on testing it with that as well, any ideas what that translates to (1k etc) when applied to the aero?

Thanks!
1986 NB50
stucinthe80z
Spree
Spree

Post by stucinthe80z »

fatcharlie wrote:Checked the Variator against my stock one and saw no more play in the DDX.

Pulled apart the drive pulley and measured the spring, the service manual calls for an 88.8mm service limit on the spring and it measured out at over 90 ony calipers.

Cleaned out and re greased the shaft that the movable sheave runs on and took a test ride. The jury is still out on whether or not its fixed. I'll ride for a few more days and post results.

One question. My buddy has the Daytona white contra spring from his ruckus that he is not using, I'm debating on testing it with that as well, any ideas what that translates to (1k etc) when applied to the aero?

Thanks!
fatcharlie
Goped
Goped

Post by fatcharlie »

Looks like the bushing was the culprit.

I was checking bushing vs drive boss play when i said there wasnt an issue. Not bushing to Variator slop.

About a week ago I found that one of the bearings in my motor was toast. Swapped them out and started riding again. Still had the weird inconsistent acceleration issue.

About halfway through my ride, the bike started shuddering on take off, I pulled the drive face covers off to make sure everything was oil free and found that the brass bushing inside the Variator was slipping.

I pulled it all the way out, and turned it around, re-orienting it removed the slop (for now). It's a tight fit once again as I had to press it in with a clamp.

If it starts up again, I may try a bit of RTV between the bushing and the variator.
1986 NB50
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

fatcharlie wrote:Looks like the bushing was the culprit.

I was checking bushing vs drive boss play when i said there wasnt an issue. Not bushing to Variator slop.

About a week ago I found that one of the bearings in my motor was toast. Swapped them out and started riding again. Still had the weird inconsistent acceleration issue.

About halfway through my ride, the bike started shuddering on take off, I pulled the drive face covers off to make sure everything was oil free and found that the brass bushing inside the Variator was slipping.

I pulled it all the way out, and turned it around, re-orienting it removed the slop (for now). It's a tight fit once again as I had to press it in with a clamp.

If it starts up again, I may try a bit of RTV between the bushing and the variator.
Suggestion.... Replace all worn parts. You are running the risk of damaging the crank, RTV won't help, in my opinion. Thanks and good luck.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861