MLM is now making Honda Spree performance pipes!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MLM is now making Honda Spree performance pipes!

Post by noiseguy »

GSX1400 wrote:Hi, i find it strange to put the silencer in the middle of the exhaust??? Never seen this before. Always seen the silencers at the end of the cone? Is there a reason for this design? The pipe IS empty inside?
Just out of curiosity (I ride an Aero50...in France!)
It's not the first time it's been done. Couldn't tell you the reason that it's an advantage from an operational standpoint, but the overall package is smaller / shorter. Goped exhausts are often built this way... here's an example:
Attachments
goped.jpg
goped.jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 8141 times
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
7m-iata
Goped
Goped

Post by 7m-iata »

It seems like the exhaust exit bing in the middle of the exhaust would allow for more of the chamber to be used?? I.E. exhaust must first bounce off of the rear of the chamber before making it back to the center of the chamber to be able to exit, seems like it would give the effect of a longer chamber moving the powerband? I could be wrong and maybe its just for looks or to make it a bit smaller, but from my goped pipes I can say that a center exit pipe compared to an end exit pipe , the center exit seems to make power in a different rpm range and hit a little harder. (those that have rode gopeds will know exactly what I mean by "hit")
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

I cant remember which company made them but there are some rare aftermarket expansion chambers almost exactly like this that were made for the Spree with the silencer in the middle. Taz bought it from a guy on this site that got it on a Spree he had bought.
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I think KeithW's pipes were made this way... had forgotten about that.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Motion Left Mopeds
BMX
BMX

Post by Motion Left Mopeds »

I have chosen someone to test the pipe, thanks for all the emails and great comments! When the silencer comes off the dwell section it's call a side bleed. I use this design for many reasons, the main one being performance. A 2t pipe works largely on sound waves and the reverberation of them. On a standard exit pipe up to 30% of the useful waves exit the pipe as noise. On a side bleed almost 100% of the waves are contained! This helps to "stuff" the cylinder and give a much more pronounced power band than traditional chambers. Side bleed pipes are also significantly quieter and almost never need the packing replaced.

I plan on making Elite pipes once I get my hands on one.

I am looking forward to making a pipe for the 48mm bore kit for the Spree. I need some info before I make a prototype. Does anyone have a port map, pictures of the head and common modifications made to it? Does the stock Spree pipe bolt right up to it? And what is the desired power band low, mid, or high?

I did some test runs with the new pipe today and WOW this thing is awesome! I literally just bolted the pipe on, no other modifications at all, stock air box and all. Top speed prior to the pipe was 28MPH and now 35MPH! The pipe hits at around 15MPH and rockets the bike up to 35MPH. I know that with a high flow air filter and larger main jet I will easily see 40+MPH!
Attachments
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 8113 times
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg (11.92 KiB) Viewed 8113 times
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Could you do a video to give an idea of the noise level?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The 48mm big bore kit has the same exhaust flange position as the stock cylinder. The stock spree pipe does fit it.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Motion Left Mopeds
BMX
BMX

Great, thanks!
TexasHills
Goped
Goped

Post by TexasHills »

Goodstuff. Ive have an 86 NQ50 and would love to buy one when you start selling. Looks good!
86 Honda Spree with Taz Big Bore Kit
:newb:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Motion Left Mopeds wrote: I am looking forward to making a pipe for the 48mm bore kit for the Spree. I need some info before I make a prototype. Does anyone have a port map, pictures of the head and common modifications made to it? Does the stock Spree pipe bolt right up to it? And what is the desired power band low, mid, or high?

I did some test runs with the new pipe today and WOW this thing is awesome! I literally just bolted the pipe on, no other modifications at all, stock air box and all. Top speed prior to the pipe was 28MPH and now 35MPH! The pipe hits at around 15MPH and rockets the bike up to 35MPH. I know that with a high flow air filter and larger main jet I will easily see 40+MPH!
Above describes about what the pipe I built does. Engine is blah up to 15 MPH then it takes off. Spree has 1 gear... I think that the sweet spot is making power in midrange. With a side exit you can make the pipe longer which will bring down the band. The 25mm downpipe will help alot, esp with the larger piston/jug available aftermarket. Stock is 19mm, which is really too small.

Port timing is listed in the service manual... from memory the exhaust port is 225mm^2. Too small for a 50cc bike, and timing is overly conservative. Lifting the exhaust port timing by a mm or 2 is reported to help.

There are 2 versions of the head and dished and domed pistons. There are pictures on this site of the different head designs. Most common mod to head is to mill .020" off the head to increase compression and create squish. Ditching the dished piston for domed is popular as well.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

one other grope of scooter you may want to do is the se50 motor ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I get the same gains from the my sample that looks like the first muffler pic you posted. It gains about 6mph on stock and about 5-6mph on the 48mm BBK, carb, and gears. It is a nice add. How much you gonna sell those pipes for? I will sell mine for about 125$ and they will be available this spring. I would love to test that second model you have or are they the same pipe? It looks kewl. Looks like the one I got already.

The muffler I have have is set up for mid to high which I like. Also the noise level is not to bad.

Taz
Motion Left Mopeds
BMX
BMX

The port map of the big bore kits will decide what chamber I use, but I will likely be using my Cali chamber with a side bleed on it. It's great for single speed motors! The picture is a Cali pipe I make for Puch Magnum mopeds.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.2 KiB) Viewed 8036 times
wilit
Goped
Goped

Post by wilit »

If the price is reasonable, I'd be interested in a pipe. :)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I ordered the NC50 express MLM pipe, I just put it on tonight, and it feels like Im going to light speed when I grab the throttle and blast past cars. The pipe hits pretty early and dont stop giving and has even more pull when I get past 35mph like a good swift kick in the *. It comes on so hard its scary and I love it. I almost fell off the bike on the first test run hen the pipe hit. I havent stopped giggling all night lol
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock