New to the forum, bought 86 aero50, any simple mph mods?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

ilikeaero50
Noob
Noob

New to the forum, bought 86 aero50, any simple mph mods?

Post by ilikeaero50 »

Just bought a 86 aero 50 that has lots of power off the line but top speed is 34 mph. I am not a heavy guy so weight is not the issue. Are there any restrictions I can remove or other simple improvements/mods I can do to increase top end speed? even 3-5 mph more would be a huge improvement as far as keeping up with traffic (not bad as is really but a little more speed would help a lot). Seems to run great but it's a bit cold blooded I think.

Also what routine maintenance would you guys recommend? I'm going to switch to redline 2 cycle motorcycle oil and probably spray out the carb but let me know if there are other things I should do. ormally when I buy a car I change all the fluids and get all the maintenance up to speed and then keep it maintained and that has served me well. may not be a big deal on the scooter though but I'm sure there must be some weak spots with the aero50 that proactive maintenance can help with?

Thanks for any help!
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: New to the forum, bought 86 aero50, any simple mph mods?

Post by abreen89 »

34 mph is about average for the aero. Some places to check is the exhaust and the variator. They put a flange in the exhaust to restrict it. on the variator they made a flat ramp plate to restrict it. Sounds to me like yours is not restricted though. Some upgrade you can do is simply putting an upgraded variator on it. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLINI-VARIATOR ... 74&vxp=mtr

You can also buy a ct intake and carb (if its a 4 bolt intake its a direct connect.) Depending on how in depth you want to go you can get a bbk red eft sells everything you would need for that viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19538
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you keep everything else stock, you are wise to replace the maintenance items like the air filter element - well-oiled as the FSM suggests - and spark plug. The muffler can become restrictive with carbon deposits depending on mileage.

Once the stock engine is putting out all it can, the single cheapest/best upgrade is the variator as abreen89 suggested. New rollers -I suggest 9 grams - and belt too. Witht he belt-drive optimized, a fatter 90/90 x 10 tire will give POTENTIAL speed increase, assuming the engine has the juice to drive the slightly taller overall engine speed to groundspeed ratio.

If it's acting "cold-blooded", a carb clean is a good idea along with a swap to an 85 Main from the 82 you probably have. All that should get you to 38 at least.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

abreen89 wrote:34 mph is about average for the aero. Some places to check is the exhaust and the variator. They put a flange in the exhaust to restrict it. on the variator they made a flat ramp plate to restrict it. Sounds to me like yours is not restricted though. Some upgrade you can do is simply putting an upgraded variator on it. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLINI-VARIATOR ... 74&vxp=mtr

You can also buy a ct intake and carb (if its a 4 bolt intake its a direct connect.) Depending on how in depth you want to go you can get a bbk red eft sells everything you would need for that viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19538
DO NOT PUT AN AFTERMARKET CARB OR MANIFOLD ON. BAD ADVISE RIGHT HERE ITS NOT GOING TO HELP WITH SPEED OR POWER. OVERCARBURATION IS A NOOB MOVE. ONCE AGAIN I WILL SAY DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL NEVER GET MORE POWER JUST MORE ISSUES. The stock carb is more than big enough for your 50cc
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

kingkamehameha wrote:
abreen89 wrote:34 mph is about average for the aero. Some places to check is the exhaust and the variator. They put a flange in the exhaust to restrict it. on the variator they made a flat ramp plate to restrict it. Sounds to me like yours is not restricted though. Some upgrade you can do is simply putting an upgraded variator on it. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLINI-VARIATOR ... 74&vxp=mtr

DO NOT PUT AN AFTERMARKET CARB OR MANIFOLD ON. BAD ADVISE RIGHT HERE ITS NOT GOING TO HELP WITH SPEED OR POWER. OVERCARBURATION IS A NOOB MOVE. ONCE AGAIN I WILL SAY DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL NEVER GET MORE POWER JUST MORE ISSUES. The stock carb is more than big enough for your 50cc

Exactly, larger jet is all that you need. The Aero DOES not have a washer in the head pipe. Flow is restricted by a smaller head pipe. I have never seen one on an AFO5E Aero. Just on the SE50P Elite that shares the same engine. Clean the carb, install an 85 jet and burn the pipe. Taller tire as wheelman suggested. You should see 40 for another 5 mph install an aftermarket variator.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

kingkamehameha wrote:

bigger carb and intake would obviously be in coordination with a bbk which is why they were explained togeth........ :|
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

to top that off the ct intake does not bolt right on you need to make a spacer up or cut out the orignal reed cage to make a adapter.Beleive it or not the se50 has a slightly larger hole in to the block than the sa50
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

paulpauly7 wrote:to top that off the ct intake does not bolt right on you need to make a spacer up or cut out the orignal reed cage to make a adapter.Beleive it or not the se50 has a slightly larger hole in to the block than the sa50
never heard of a needed spacer. my cousin has an aero and just recently installed a BIG BLACK CT didnt hear of any spacer.
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Hes not looking for a bbk
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
ilikeaero50
Noob
Noob

Post by ilikeaero50 »

WOw, some awesome info. here and just what I'm looking for thanks! When you say "burn the pipe" does that mean clean the carbon out of the exhaust pipe/muffler? 40mph would be awesome. Where do i buy that 85 jet? Is there a DIY description of how to replace it in the library? I found two 90/90 10 Shinko tires locally but I see only they have the same size Michelin for $10 less so I may order those. It needs tires really badly anyway so new tires are a no-brainer.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

kingkamehameha wrote:Hes not looking for a bbk
just shooting him the spectrum of options i suppose i will refrain from trying to be of help.... :?
TexasHills
Goped
Goped

Post by TexasHills »

abreen89 wrote:
kingkamehameha wrote:Hes not looking for a bbk
just shooting him the spectrum of options i suppose i will refrain from trying to be of help.... :?
I'll calm down, Edited
:bump:
Last edited by TexasHills on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
86 Honda Spree with Taz Big Bore Kit
:newb:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda dealers stock the jets PN 99101-187-0850. Swapping is as hard as changing a light bulb.
Personal attacks will get you suspended even if you're from Texas.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
ilikeaero50
Noob
Noob

Post by ilikeaero50 »

Sweet! I'm going to call HOnda dealer today. Also, I noticed in a search that one member found stock Honda tires for like $15 so maybe I'll see what tires cost from the dealer. I'm so used to being anti-dealer with my VW car that I need to switch gears in my brain and start talking to dealers for parts... : )
ilikeaero50
Noob
Noob

Post by ilikeaero50 »

Just to update, I ordered the 85 jet and 90/90 pirelli sl 26 tires. I'll update with any speed changes after installation. Thx for all the help!