AERO CDI makes my Spree super fast

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

AERO CDI makes my Spree super fast

Post by Johnniespeed »

My three Spree's pull pretty good to 27, then slowly creep to thirty. Except my fourth Spree , it pulls strong to 33 then creeps to over 35. The difference ? The fourth Spree has a CDI box from a 1984 Aero 50 on it. When I put a stock Spree CDI box on it, it runs the same as all the other Spree's, I plug the Aero box back in and the power/speed return.
So apparently the timing curve/timing advance must be better on the Aero box.
Has anyone else discovered this ? Where can I buy more1984 Aero 50 CDI boxes ? Does the aftermarket CDI pull as strong as the Aero unit ?
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Re: AERO CDI makes my Spree super fast

Post by mmeadows »

from what i have read on this forum all cdi's are about the same, and they almost never go bad, and there is no point in buying the derestricted cdi's

that being said, that is all 2nd hand knowledge and you very well may have proved them wrong. any pictures to verifi this discovery?

now im wondering where i can find a box of assorted cdi's lol
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sprees have slight differences between the 84/85 and the 86/87 model years. The 84s are more like 28mph top speed and 87 is supposed to be more like 30-32 I think it is. That may have more to do with it than the cdi change I'm betting. But who knows maybe there is something to it im thinking no. What years are the the scoots in question. Things like air filter condition and air box lid gaskets could be factors as well. Make sure you verify the speeds with a gps the speedos could be off too, my spree is only kinda accurate, depending on when you read it. My aero 80 is off by a whole needle width. If I'm going 70km/hour it reads 73 at least there is 1.6 km in a mile that's almost 2mph faster on the speedo than the true speed on the GPS.
Here is the reed blocks from an 87 and an 84 the smaller one is the 84.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Lets not get confused here, this is not about other bikes, ports, reeds, belts, variators, Pipes, tire size, wind direction or rider weight.
The same Spree with a Spree CDI is normal speed, the exact same Spree with an 84 Aero 50 CDI is significantly faster, no mods, no other changes. Normal speed with Spree CDI , much faster with 84 Aero 50 CDI. No matter how many times you switch it back and forth the Aero CDI is much faster. The bike runs perfect with both. The speeds were measured with a Garmin GPS.
I simply was asking if anyone else had discovered this, I already know it's true, I have already proved it, that part is not up for debate.
I have read on this forum, that the " Performance " CDI sold on ebay is not different and fails soon, I am now doubting that claim, unless someone has proof.
Has anyone actually compared the Stock Spree CDI against the "Performance" CDI ? Is the "Performance CDI" an Aero CDI ?

mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

kind of sassy jonnie and i like it. im really wondering if my 84 cdi is would be giving me performance gains or losses in my 87 aero engine. ( i did a swap) i should try the cdi from a 85 i have lying around. ( when i get her running again :( )
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

but whatever, haters going to hate. if someone buys a racing cdi i cant wait. :)
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

This isn't about my Spree being special or about an 87 spree going 32.
Obviously there is a different timing advance map inside the 84 Aero CDI.
Does anyone here know how to log the data of the ignition advance curve ?

swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

Johnniespeed
ill wood like you to try the cdi on one of your other spree to see if you gain more speed out of then ... im running a se50 with a spree cdi and not getting the rpm (= speed) out of it and it wood be nice if you gave some photo and id number of the 84 Aero cdi box... so other may try it ...
thank you ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

ill bet you a lot of us have been using the wrong cdi as a result of bike swaps and this guy just discovered it.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

im not saying he is right or wrong .. i have fue cdi box laying around here and wood like to see if some one can get the same out of a 84 Aero CDI as he did ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

swimmingfree wrote:im not saying he is right or wrong .. i have fue cdi box laying around here and wood like to see if some one can get the same out of a 84 Aero CDI as he did ...
swimmingfree
i 2nd that, i want pictures!!!
have you tried that cdi on your other sprees?

i really want some of the more advance two strokes to chime in here...
how does a cdi know the positioning of the piston? does a different cdi just act like a good port job?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Spree findings are interesting, and worth looking into for more info on whats going on here.

Let's record the variables for others. What Spree model year is being used? What p/n CDI are you swapping in/out as the Spree reference and what p/n is on your Aero 50 CDI? See below - there were 2 different CDI's in Sprees.

----
Honda has used several CDI's during the 80's in various models. Aero 83/84 CDI is relatively uncommon, it was only used in that model. Most of us do not have an 83-84 CDI.

-- Spree CDI History --
Spree had one version for 1984-85 (30410-GK8-784) and another for 86-87 (30410-GK8-784). For either Spree, the same CDI was used for restricted and non-restricted models.

30410-GK8-784 (86-87 Spree CDI) also used in all other US two stroke Hondas 1987 to 2001.
1987 Aero 50 NB50
88-2001 Elite SA50 (AF05 and AF16) Restricted and Non-Restricted
1988-89 Elite SB50

--
IMHO - I'd hold back buying CDIs to try out on AF16's and variated AF06's on current info. CDI is not holding RPM's back on modded engines.

---
Does anyone here know how to log the data of the ignition advance curve ?
Yes - I can capture via oscilloscope.
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

i do have a parts 85 aero i guess i could swap the cdi into my 84 little blue. but she isnt even running yet so i feel weird having her donate parts. but its for the sake of the forum!

this issue reminds me of a post i started last year posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=24949
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I have a CDI from an 83 Aero. But, no Spree to test it on.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Johnniespeed wrote:Lets not get confused here, this is not about other bikes, ports, reeds, belts, variators, Pipes, tire size, wind direction or rider weight.
The same Spree with a Spree CDI is normal speed, the exact same Spree with an 84 Aero 50 CDI is significantly faster, no mods, no other changes. Normal speed with Spree CDI , much faster with 84 Aero 50 CDI. No matter how many times you switch it back and forth the Aero CDI is much faster. The bike runs perfect with both. The speeds were measured with a Garmin GPS.
I simply was asking if anyone else had discovered this, I already know it's true, I have already proved it, that part is not up for debate.
I have read on this forum, that the " Performance " CDI sold on ebay is not different and fails soon, I am now doubting that claim, unless someone has proof.
Has anyone actually compared the Stock Spree CDI against the "Performance" CDI ? Is the "Performance CDI" an Aero CDI ?
Hey dude, with that kind of proof there has to be something to the cdi for sure. I'm willing to order one of those performance cdis and try it on my spree to see if it has any gains, they are relatively inexpensive. I'm super curious now to see what happens. If one can gain a couple mph with just a cdi box change, to me that's a huge breakthrough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock