AERO CDI makes my Spree super fast

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

Re: AERO CDI makes my Spree super fast

Post by patthesoundguy »

Abreen89 sells a performance cdi that fits most of the 2 stroke Hondas for only $5.95 I'm gonna get one and play with it. I have a digital tach and an analog tach and a cyl head temp gauge on my spree, along with the mount for the phone for GPS. I'll know right away if it allows higher rpms or not. Worth a try. Now I want to try the aero cdi as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

i offered mouse an opportunity to "borrow" my cdi hopefully he bites, but if you give a mouse a cookie....lol
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

AERO CDI makes my Spree super fast

Post by ringLord4 »

I just bought the performance CDI kit to test it out
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

is the 5.95 performance cdi and 19.99 cdi the same?

my 87 aero engine melted a piston with a 84 cdi. could be unrelated however.

hats off to the original poster!!!
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I have never ever noticed any difference using different cdi boxes.

I do have the "performance" CDI it does not seem to make any difference.

I do not own an aero.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

Johnniespeed were are you ????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

we still haven't had this claim verified.....

maybe now is a good time to show my :newb: color and asked to be schooled on exactly how a Capacitive discharge ignition works on an old two stroke like this?

i'm guessing something on the flywheel involving a magnet sends a "signal" to the cdi and then to the coil?

As it is a two stoke, the only variable it could control is when the spark is released right? so these cdis are maybe different by a few milliseconds? perhaps one ignites at top dead center and one a millisecond after?

it seems to me like there would be a flat out "best" time to have your spark ignite. ( am i on the right track or just looking silly?)

to date it seems the following exist. ( plz add to the list if im missing something)

>$5 performance CDI
>$20 performance CDI
>83-84 aero50 CDI
>Malossi CDI
>two spree CDI's
>85-86 Aero CDI
>87-2001 Honda two stroke CDI

if Honda didn't change anything from 87-01.... il bet a penny that is the cdi who is most environmentally friendly
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

i could be wrong but im pretty sure 2 strokes actually retard the timing as the rpm goes up maybe some of the OG's may chime in and let us know there thoughts
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

Yes typically on a two stroke all the timing advance happens early in the lower rpm range. Then as revs increase the timing is retarded quite a bit tell max rpm. Opposite of a 4 stroke. The exception being a turbo motor where one might pull timing under boost to avoid detonation.
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

The stator has a two sections that produce voltage, one section provides the primary voltage that powers up the coil primary winding, the pulse coil produces a pulse that provides the crankshaft position information to the CDI box. The CDI box takes the crankshaft location information and the rpm information and by way of an internal logic map will collapse the voltage to the primary winding within the coil, at a specific time. When the primary winding is energized a magnetic field is produced, when the CDI opens the circuit the collapsed magnetic field will produce a secondary voltage and that is what we call spark.
What I would like to find out is how to log the data of the timing curve within the CDI box.
The timing map within the CDI is programmed to have a certain timing at idle, 2k rpm, 3k rpm, 4k rpm and so forth. If we have the information to log the data, then each CDI box could be compared to the 84 Aero 50 CDI box.
The 84 Aero 50 CDI box has the numbers " CF 411 C 9.7 279. I have no idea if those numbers are important.
This was never intended to brag that my scooter was faster than anyone else's scooter, I just wanted information and possibly pass information to others.
Having the worlds fastest Spree is like receiving a Gold ribbon at the Special Olympics, both are something to be proud of. But you have to look at the big picture.
Ten Spree engines equal 25 horsepower, my KX 500 has well over 55 horsepower yet they both have about 500 cc.
A Turbo Hayabusa would pass the KX 500 before third gear, a F-22 fighter jet probably cant go as slow as a Hayabusa at top speed.
All I was doing is comparing a Spree CDI to a Aero CDI.
I hope this thread has stimulated some thought.
I live near Grand Rapids Michigan.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

What I would like to find out is how to log the data of the timing curve within the CDI box.
The timing map within the CDI is programmed to have a certain timing at idle, 2k rpm, 3k rpm, 4k rpm and so forth. If we have the information to log the data, then each CDI box could be compared to the 84 Aero 50 CDI box.
One way is with an oscilloscope. The measurement is basic electronics - here's a tutorial link http://www.wisc-online.com/Objects/View ... ID=ACE3803. I I use a Tektronix digital storage scope which computes degrees. A simple degree measurement is shown below.
Scope_Simplest_Degree_Measure.jpg
Scope_Simplest_Degree_Measure.jpg (96.28 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
This was never intended to brag that my scooter was faster than anyone else's scooter, I just wanted information and possibly pass information to others.
Having the worlds fastest Spree is like receiving a Gold ribbon at the Special Olympics, both are something to be proud of. But you have to look at the big picture.
Ten Spree engines equal 25 horsepower, my KX 500 has well over 55 horsepower yet they both have about 500 cc.
A Turbo Hayabusa would pass the KX 500 before third gear, a F-22 fighter jet probably cant go as slow as a Hayabusa at top speed..
Ok, no bragging. Yet - there have been several requests for the model year of your Spree. Response for Spree info is evasive. Latest response - 'My KX 500 has 55 hp' that's more than 10 Sprees :eyeroll:
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

An oscilloscope simply measures voltage and time, in order for it to record the timing map the actual crankshaft position and degrees would need a base line setting. I would imagine a crankshaft position sensor would need to be added to gather data. But then again, I am hoping someone will already know how this needs to be done.
Evasive ? Sorry I don't monitor this site hourly, the Spree CDI is an 86, the Spree is an 86. The KX500 is a 2004. I don't own a turbo Hayabusa yet, the F-22 is not available to the public.
The Spree has been sold with the Aero CDI on it, new owner is very happy.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

in order for it to record the timing map the actual crankshaft position and degrees would need a base line setting. I would imagine a crankshaft position sensor would need to be added to gather data
A) Sure - yet right now we don't need an absolute map.
B) Even if we have a full map, finding a CDI to match other than the Aero may not pan out.

-- Working plan --
1) Foster reproduction of results. This must be reproduced on a members Spree. As seen in this site or thread, many have tried CDI's with adjustable or 'racing' maps with zero to minor gains.

2) I will measure deltas between 83/84 Aero vs Spree CDI (1986-87 to match your model). No crank sensor required.

3) Two thumbs up? I will add a crank sensor for TDC and capture absolute data.

===
Edit: Add
Why not use the method on old cars?

Put a mark at TDC on the flywheel, make a +/- degree scale to mount on the crankcase and use a timing light and tach.
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

any updates?
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

Sorry for a double bump but this is relevant to me once again.

Did i melt a hole in my 87 af0fe piston for using a 84 nb50 cdi?