84 spree bbk - goin' GROOVY

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

wite_rabit
BMX
BMX

Re: 84 spree bbk - goin' GROOVY

Post by wite_rabit »

I think my kit came without those instructions, or I misplaced them (definite possibility!) I was loathe to drill my air box top, and have opted to dremel a 2 little soda bottle into a hackable intake mod. My carb tube is attached to what I've jokingly referred to as a "velocity stack".

I figure I could add holes while monitoring head temp over a couple breakin rides. For that my fool self got a VDO CHT (vapor would have been easier all around) and spent last night cutting apart a marvel mystery oil bottle... This thread needs pictures!

Pat, as far as my soft seizes went I thankfully only lost about 10 psi. I will be monitoring head temps and swapped in the 8 plug too. You are dead on about richness! Regarding the head the groove modification is said to improve burn characteristics, including running cooler when lean (I am wrapping my head around that one, unsure how that would occur). It is said to produce more low rpm power (also even if lean).

If nothing else it might scrap my dremeled head requiring me to get another and have it professionally milled! When I get to this stage I will do a solder squish test to verify clearance over my piston - if there is room, I might shave it down beforehand. First things first, tuning my stock intake/exhaust (possibly with a 2 little) before swapping gears. Then I'll port match the larger reed block to my intake pipe (reduced top end for low end acceleration, eh?) if all goes well grooves will follow the full setup! Then saving pennies for an mlm pipe if they don't sell out... If grooves work I won't need an adjustable pilot!

Are you opposed to groove testing/application?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I think I have seen a head with the groove already done. It was for a Yamaha motor. I'll find the link. As long as the holes line up it would be worth a try. I've been thinking about getting one to try on the other 84 that I'm picking up. Its bone stock and unmolested ;-) modding the squish, I think is where a lot of hidden power lies especially in a near stock 50cc cylinder. I like the pop bottle tunable intake idea. Once you get the temp gauge on the go run the carb open and see how it goes, it might be real happy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400460238509
Check that one out :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock