Thoughts on Aero 80...?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Thoughts on Aero 80...?

Post by spreeinkc »

I've ran across several of these in the last few weeks and was wondering if they're worth getting. Heard they're not much faster than the 50s. Was also curious about aftermarket parts or parts that swap from other models. Can that eng be swapped to a spree? Can the handle bars be swapped with a 50? (I'm not big on the looks of the cluster, lights or any of that. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Pros and cons etc... Thanks
NZHonda
Spree
Spree

Re: Thoughts on Aero 80...?

Post by NZHonda »

Hi. I cant really answer all of your questions but will answer a few.bI just bought a NH80 here in NZ (JDM model).

I cant compare with a 50 as I have no experience with them. Mine does a solid 75kph on the flat with a 110kg man on it. It climbed to the top of a very steep pass 971 m (3,186 ft) no troubles. It was slow but it flicked into 'low' gear on the variator if you like and just pulled me up the mountain. I bought this unseen and rode it 250km home with out any problems.

On the Pros, cheap to run, faster than 50, keeps up with traffic, comfortable, can ride 2 up.

Cons: Not the prettiest scoot with the 80's styling. Limited aftermarket parts. I have recently bought new plug, air filter and front and rear shoes from the local Honda dealer here for not a lot of money.

If you google NH80 Honda lead vision it comes up with a heap of websites. The best thing you can do is change the jets and add a set of Boyeson PR#740 power reeds. I have not done any of this but I have the reeds on order and have the jets ready to go. I am keen to see if I can get some more top end out of it. Also I need to open up the variator for a look see.
Honda AF28 Dio ZX - Malossi 72cc
Honda DJ1R project
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I looooooove my 85 aero 80. The 90 main jet is a must do on north american models. And the boyesen #740 reeds are a real plus. Those two mods wake up an aero like crazy. I did it to a friends aero before I got my aero and it was insane the difference in throttle response off of idle. When you call boyesen you can get the #740 reeds there are two sets of reeds in the package, but there is a single set in a pack with a different number if you ask them I think its as simple as # 730 or something. I got the 740 to have a spare set of reeds. My aero has gone a few thousand km on the reeds and my friends aero has gone 5000 km or more on the boyesen reeds and still going strong. You can bolt on the ct intake that every one uses on dio motors and swap the carb to a 21mm or 24mm which is really suposed to wake the thing up. I like stock relabilty right now so I'm staying stock for the most part. I have played with the dr pulley sliders in the variator. My centre spring in the driven pulley is worn out so I diddnt really get any gains there yet. I am however going to try to see if a dio variator fits because I have a dio motor here. And I have tried to fit a 125cc gy6 vari, but it doesn't fit. So I may try the 50cc version. Belts for the 85 aero are very rare as they are unique to that scooter and not many exist new. I'm going to match a new belt once the weather get decent enough and I'll will share my findings :-) my areo does 70 to 74km/hour on the flats and 85km\hr or so down hill.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wiscompton
Goped
Goped

Post by Wiscompton »

Personally I really like the "Jonny 5 is alive" styling on the Aero 80, but thats the best that can be said of it.

I have owned a few and the performance is lackluster. An 80cc 2 stroke should be able to do 60mph no problem. General an Aero 80 does 40mph and it doesn't even seem to get into its power band since it revs real low even at WOT.

If I ever stumble across another one (I don't think I have ever paid more than $150 dollars for one) I am going to give it a go and see if it can be made fast. Cylinder porting, hacking/welding up a dirt bike expansion chamber, swapping out for Aero 125 carb/intake (takes a little work), and some lighter variator rollers would go a long way I think.

From what I can tell, the Aero 80 and the Riva/Beluga 80 were both made to rev really low in an attempt to make them last longer and give them a more "mellow" ride. They do seem to hold up pretty well. I have had the top end apart on 2 Aero 80s and both of them showed almost no wear, but a lot of 2 stroke oil residue.

So pretty much what you end up with is a very mellow pretty slow riding scooter that will last forever mechanically speaking.