New gears are binding....

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

New gears are binding....

Post by spreeinkc »

I got a set of 9:1 gears for my '98 SA50 but for some reason they are binding? I know the one I pressed on is straight but I'm having trouble getting that shaft to sit straight in the carrier bearing in the cover. I'm assuming that's what the problem is b/c it will spin fine about .5-.75 of a turn then locks up. You can kind of jiggle it while turning it and it will work it's way through. Is there a trick or a good way to get it true? I don't remember it being that hard to take out, I had to beat the crap out of it to get it back in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Re: New gears are binding....

Post by spreeinkc »

I tried beating the shaft out (with a piece of wood over the top of it) but it wouldn't budge. Went up to my old shop and used their press. Worked like butter! Wish I would have just done that in the first place. As far as I can tell it appears to be on the shaft properly. As far as direction I'm not sure because my dumba$$ forgot to look before taking it off.

I seems like there are two issues. First is when I put the shaft into the bearing on the cover plate I cant seem to get it straight. If you spin it you can watch the end that goes through the wheel move back and forth. Plus it was very difficult getting it into that bearing. Second thing which I just noticed is that the two gears are barely touching and can spin w/o spinning the smaller one. (you can hear it rubbing it but doesn't actually move it) And that's not assembled that's just holding it in my hand and spinning them.

Edit: The raised side of the pressed on gear is facing the outside toward the cover plate...
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

sounds like you bent the shaft by beating the living crap out of it .

Never use a hammer
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

+2 never use a hammer unless its a dead blow. Hard to bend the shaft tho, more likely you goofed up your bearings and they're sloppy. Hard to say but sounds like something might be backwards on the install. The cover usually goes together real smoothly ish, sometimes you have to "pop" it on with the back of a screw driver.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Also check the washers are in the right places.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Check to make sure the bearing in the case is pressed all the way in. I had the same issue and couldn't figure it out and it ended up being the bearing. Just put a socket over the bearing and get it a tap to seat it. I really doubt you bent the shaft unless you were doing something crazy. And you have it on the right way. Check the bearing
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Ok so I'm an idiot. I somehow grabbed the stock smaller gear and put it in with the aftermarket gear... :oops: I should have just checked but I thought for sure I grabbed the right one. But speaking of washers there is still a small issue. The small shaft in the middle that does not have bearings on either end but has a metal washer on one side and a nylon washer on the other, for some reason when I tighten the cover down it wont hardly move...? I took the nylon one out just to see if it made a difference and it was fine then. So I put the nylon one back on and yep too tight and wheel wont hardly spin? I just swapped the nylon one with a slightly thinner metal one and it worked fine. I guess I might of had them on the wrong sides (metal one was on the cover side) but trying the slightly thinner one worked so I didn't try swapping them.

Other than that I gotta say "* Yeah!!" :rock: Don't know why I waited so long to buy gears for it. (ok I was broke and it was winter) I've never passed cars uphill on it before. Was a pretty sweet feeling to be able to easily keep up with traffic on main roads. Not sure what it tops out at yet because I'm still braking in the bbk but almost ready to find out.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Congrats on figuring out the nylon washer issue. The Aftermarket countershafts are a smidgen longer than stock on the outboard side, and the two metal washer solution is recommended. You discovered it without assistance, nicely done.

Taller gears will take your scooter from roadside obstacle to fully traffic flow capable. Even a stock engine is capable of 50 mph with 9:1s.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
TinyElvis
Spree
Spree

Post by TinyElvis »

Wheelman, could you explain the "Two Metal Washer" solution? I'm curious as I might run into this issue in the very near future (tomorrow).
Honda DIO 3 ZX Live, Malossi, WindJammah!
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

I don't think the 2 metal washers is necessary. I just added 8.44 gears to my 2000 elite and it worked fine with the washers that came stock.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

ive had no issues
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

I should note I bought the cheapest set of 9:1 gears I could find ($45) so it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't exactly the same size. It definitely would not work with the stock washers though. Even finger tight would cause resistance...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

OK, so SOME of the Aftermarket countershafts are longer or proportioned differently, so that if you attempt to install with the metal (thin) and Nylon (Double-thick) washers, they bind when you screw the cover down. The solution is ordering an extra metal thrust washer - if you don't have spares in your junk bin. Not all gears I've purchased had this issue, but most did. I've had multiple sets over the past six years from 6.8 to 9:1s, and most sizes in-between.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
TinyElvis
Spree
Spree

Post by TinyElvis »

okay. I understand. The thrust washer is smaller then the nylon washer. And it's cool to use the thrust washer on that side? I thought Honda-San wanted it a certain way and I usually do not question the man. :)
Honda DIO 3 ZX Live, Malossi, WindJammah!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So far the transmission on all my blocks have proven remarkably resilient. Metal washer just keeps the gear from chewing on the Al-You-Minnie-Yum too much. Oil up 3 Oz. and go.
Wheelman-111