Plunger front suspension, disk brake? Cheap solution?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Plunger front suspension, disk brake? Cheap solution?

Post by alexfleury »

I have seen some elites with a "standard" motorcycle front suspension and a front disk brake. I think it might have been a Canadian model. But I have also read that the frames were different on those models. Does anyone know if those parts interchange with my 2001 Elite S ? Where would I begin to look for the parts if they do?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Re: Plunger front suspension, disk brake? Cheap solution?

Post by Dio89Elite »

This would be called the 'disc brake' upgrade that a lot of people want. Here in Hawaii, most of the disc brake upgrades are down with a swap from the disc brakes of a Sym DD50 front end. Unsure of what exact amount of fabrication that needs to be done to make this swap work.

It is usually the triple tree (the part that holds the legs and the handlebar) that is usually incompatible and I've heard that people have cut and rewelded this part to make the conversion work.

FYI There are 'dio' models that are marketed internationally that did have disc brake front ends. If one could find these triple trees then a bolt on experience would be near perfect (or so I've been told).

As far as cheap... disc brake front coversions I have seen selling for $500+ (some even up to $700+). Cheap would be if you have the necessary skills to do most of the fabrication work yourself (or have friends that live internationally that could help source out the needed parts for you).
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

Here's another thread made by another person that is looking for the same goal ;) You might want to take a peek and follow it. :mrgreen:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =4&t=29163
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Thanks DIO that would be the way to go. A lot of bucks when I only paid $550 for the scooter lol

One of the things I have noticed about the front suspension is that it has little rebound damping. I am going to investigate the possibility of finding maybe something from a small 4 wheeler to replace the front "shock" part of the suspension. I know there are better rear shocks easily available.

The one thing that I need to see if other folks have investigated: Is there a way to improve the front brakes. I haven't tried aftermarket brake shoes yet. I know EBC and Malossi make some. Do they make a difference?

Has anyone experimented with a way to cool the front brakes any better?

Anyway I am going to keep researching and experimenting.

alex
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

Graphite I think are too many guys like me on here who want a better running scooter. But I have bought both of my Elites for $500. And one was a really clean stocker and the other already had a running BBK installed. With that kind of price for the whole scoot it is hard to justify spending $300 on just a front suspension with brakes.

(before people jump on me for being cheap I have placed multiple orders with Graphite)

That being said, I'm still gonna follow this and see what you come up with as a final solution. Just because I can't rationally justify it doesn't mean I don't want it. :naughty:

No chance of getting the parts from the Canadian model (I think ) Elites and doing a bolt on mod? I guess you would already have done that if it was feasible.

Alex
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

One more question (sort of) on this topic. Is there a good bolt on conversion from a bike that uses a larger and stronger DRUM brake?
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance