Sa50 derestrict questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Sa50 derestrict questions

Post by Kevinstonge »

I've been searching around but can't really find exactly what I'm looking for. Some advise from members who have done this successfully would be great!!
I'm currently going through a friends 01 sa50p and offered to derestrict it for him. He's not very mechanically inclined so I'd like to keep it as user friendly as possible.
My plans:
Pop tab in airbox
Drill out exhaust restricting washer
Remove variator restrictor plate
Upgrade to split throttle cable and SR oil injector
Up jet MJ to 78-85

Now my questions.
What would you guys recommend for the jetting? I'm at sea level. I've read people running MJ's between 78-85 but I'm not sure what to go with.

Should I change the variator weight? Stock rollers need replacing so I'm debating going with oem rollers or maybe a tad lighter aftermarket rollers. Also I wasn't sure if the rollers are the same weight between the S and SR models, but I'm assuming they are.

Thanks to all!
-Kevin
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Re: Sa50 derestrict questions

Post by Kevinstonge »

Thanks graphite. That's my exact plan for my friends SR that I'll be getting into soon. The owner of the S I have now is older and just cruises through a small town here in Maine. He has gotten by fine at 20-25mph, but said he wouldn't mind doing 35 if he could. There will be no cht gauge present, and there's no way he's doing plug chops so I'm just trying to keep it as reliable as possible so I figured I'd derestrict it.

So do you think the stock S oil pump will do fine with the derestrictions? I did read that is supplies significantly less oil than the SR's.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

had G9 do my variator and gears and got around 10 more MPH on my 01sr. was fairly cheap and been running the * out of it and runs awesome so far seems like it will be very reliable. after you do the normal derestriction if your not looking to do much else thats what id run. dont know much about the oil pump personally but I did read about every post on this forum before I pulled the trigger on my changes as they seemed the most reliable for what speeds I was looking for. have seen some people do a ziptie short cut on the s oil pump to keep it always open but dont know if thats a good idea or not.had a cop coming towards me flash his lights and tell me to slow down today which I found humorous. granted I as doing about 45 through a 25mph zone.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Haha. I'm sure the cop was surprised to see a scooter that size going 45.
I agree that gears and a variator will really open it up, but for this specific S I doubt he wants to go over 40. I'm also trying to stay away from shortcuts like the zip tie method. If it was mine I wouldn't hesitate because I could always tweak or change things as I ride. This gentleman however will be doing nothing of the sort, and I don't have the time to take care of it for him. Basically looking to do a legit S to SR derestrict.

As far as rollers I'll prob just get some polini ~8g's and stick with the cleaned out oem variator.

The MJ I'm still unsure if I want to run a 78 or one step higher. I'm sure either would be fine but I'm looking for ideal jet if possible.

Rip city, are you running the nakaru variator?
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

yes with polini 6.9 gramn rollers. good power all the way through. Im happy with that combo. I was looking for a solid 40+ on flats and good uphill pull. prior to new gears and variator my SR only was hitting low 30s.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Thanks again guys. Great info come time to mod my other buddies SR. So I guess to be more clear on what I'm looking to do on the S is to just get it to well running SR status. I would love to get it going 40+ for him, but I just don't think he even wants to go that quick.

So I should just:
Drill pipe washer
Remove plate
Up jet to 78

Graphite it seems you think the extra air box tab and the SR oil pump might not be necessary for these derestrictions. If it will run reliable and well without these two mods then I won't waste my time.

Thanks again guys!!

Also I may be interested in that SEF ramp
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Sounds like a plan. Thanks again graphite. If anyone can chime in on the pump I'd definitely appreciate it.
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

Kevinstonge wrote:Sounds like a plan. Thanks again graphite. If anyone can chime in on the pump I'd definitely appreciate it.
Hello from Maine.

I would just wire it open and forget about it.

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

I just wanted to finish up by posting my results.
Installed 78 MJ
Drilled restricting washer to 7/8" then smoothed it out with a dremel.

Oil injector wire tied open

Variator cleaned and restrictor plate removed. Oem weight kept.

Plug color ok. It looked a bit rich to me. Mix screw 1.25 turns out.

Top speed was a consistent 35-36 on level ground.
Only issue I ran into was harder shifting into "2nd". I believe it's from the ridge left on the drive face from the lack of belt movement with the restrictor plate installed. I'm going to sand and smooth it and call it a day. Also thinking about doing a couple test runs with the mix screw a touch leaner. Any questions/comments are very welcome. Thanks for the help guys.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

I agree on the color. I was going more by the porcelain than the electrode. I did notice after my ride the airbox had come a little loose from the carb. I'm going to re test today.
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

The porcelain color is mostly dictated by heat range of plug.

For carb tuning you need to look at the soot ring that is down inside where the porcelain meets the metal.

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

i was just gonna add that Red .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

At the base of the porcelain? I tried looking down inside the plug, but it wasn't very easy with the lighting in my garage at the time.

I took it for another short cruise yesterday. Plug chopped and it looked a little darker on the electrode, but still not close to the ideal color. Aparently a little old lady will be using this elite for the most part, so I may just plug the 2nd airbox window I opened up and send it on its way..
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Do you guys think it looks lean enough to move the needle clip or even possibly upjet to an 82?

Thanks!!!
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Well no luck on finding the 82 jet. I moved the needle clip down a notch just for fun. The result of course was a quite rich condition, not even accepting throttle off idle. I ended up plugging the extra airbox tab back up hoping it would help the potentially lean condition. I grabbed another plug for a chop but they only had br8's so that's what I settled for.
My plug chop results:

Still pretty white on the upper electrode

Base of the metal where it meets the insulator is a nice brown, as well as 2-3mm on the bottom of the insulator.

I did notice that there was some oily sludge on the upper rim of the plug, and at the base of the electrode. I'm thinking it's just from the grime from the compression area. This scooter I believe had a decent amount of oil in the crankcase when I got it. It smoked ridiculously at first and I couldn't even get it accept throttle. After feathering it up to higher rpms I took it out and it left a cloud behind me for 1-2 miles. After that it ran great. Also it still has last years gas in it. I wouldve changed it out first thing, but my waste gas can is full and his tank was topped right off.