Minarelli spree rev limiter issue

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Minarelli spree rev limiter issue

Post by hothatch85 »

so ive had this spree running super great before, then i had this rev limiter issue and swapped cdis 4-5 times...for awhile it seemed it helped but now with the colder temps here in South Dakota it doesnt want to cooperate. cruises around 6.5k rpm then right when you rip it to get into the powerband it starts running choppy and hitting the limiter. it cuts out at any high rpm from like 7500-10000. it doesnt lock in a certain rpm and rev out. im using the spree harness and cdi. stock ignition. 4g weights in the vari and ill have to double check my jetting tonight. i cant pinpoint the issue, i ordered a "unlimited rev performance" off ebay since i havent tried those yet but im not certain it will help. can too light of a weight be causing it to rev out like it is? or is my jetting perhaps off? it used to run awesome with the warmer air.
Wheelman-111

Re: Minarelli spree rev limiter issue

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

First, major Props for riding in South Dakota in January.
Second, YES the colder air is suddenly making your jetting too LEAN. Colder air is denser. Denser air contains more Oxygen, and so the fuel that matched the warm intake of balmy 80-degree Rapid City in August is now too scarce for what? Minus 40?? If you have a temperature gauge, what is it reading?
Another possibility is that cold rubber isn't sealing like it does when warm and pliable, but the jetting alone can account for your issues.
Your performance issues may have an electronic explanation, but the parts aren't all that temperature-sensitive. Especially if your modules are cloned in some Asian country and sold for peanuts, they fail from getting too hot, mostly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

today and tomorrow are unusually warm around 65ish. so i mean the temps arent wayyyyy off. i tried riding it yesterday it 45 degree weather and i get the same results :/
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Well, I wish I could say I pulled the plug and saw a lean condition but I didn't, I pulled it and it was soaked in fuel and black AND that was with an 85 main. Put my smallest main in-80 and no change with the same plug condition. was able to somewhat ride around 9k but it was revving out/misfiring...what's the proper term here?! Maybe a fouled plug?.. I don't know..
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Change the coil.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

^^boom
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

coil wires on the wrong way ?
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

yeah and a new cdi and warm temps seemed to fix it. now with the cold here it doesnt seem to want to run right. i havent changed the coil yet. im using a 4t style coil im going to switch to a 2t one and get a fresh plug.
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

im really hoping i fouled the plug and my coils bad. wish i wasnt stuck at work so i could find out now!!!
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

Swapped the 2t coil on and the bike isn't acting like it's hitting a wall anymore, I can actually get into the power it just cuts out under acceleration. The spree does produce a weak spark. Maybe I'll have to try the coil on plug
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

graphite9 wrote:I've got some generic coils. I also have a ncy coil on plug if you need. They are hotter.
Off subject, but what do you have to actually cut in order to make that cop fit on the SA50?
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~