Problems with corsa round 2

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

bfowler
Elite
Elite

Problems with corsa round 2

Post by bfowler »

Alright so my corsa build has been running pretty good lately. It would have trouble starting and would only start with the choke on. But once it got to about 100 degrees I could turn the choke off and it would be good to go. Sometimes sluggish at part throttle but ran pretty good. Had to keep the revs up or it would die if idling for too long.

But now I am back to major issues. Last week I was warming her up and she just died on me. Figured it was just a fluke so I tried to start her up again and she wouldn't start. After 20 minutes of kicking she didn't start so I decided id try to drain the carb and try again. So I emptied the carb, kicked a few times and rode home. Happened again the next day. Died while warming up, didn't start for a while, emptied the carb and she started up again. Since then, I've had trouble starting my scooter everytime and it's basically a hit or miss. And then today when I went to start her she revved up really really really high. Pulled the rear brake and she still wanted to rev through the roof. Thought maybe it was just another fluke but nope. Just went out to start it and it revved through the roof again. What's going on???? Thinking about ordering a new carb because I feel like this one has been bad since day 1.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Problems with corsa round 2

Post by paulpauly7 »

have you got a inline fuel filter ? Maybe some grit is getting thru and half blocking jets ? Most carbs can run like new solong as theres no body damage with a really good cleaning of every part and hole and passage .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

Hard starting and hi revving make me think an air leak on the intake. Do you have a crack in a vacuum line or vacuum petcock. Of course "revving through the roof" might mean a throttle cable not seated
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I can lend you my pressure tester but you will have to fashion a block off plate for your exhaust port. I lent it to my neighbor but the block off plates didn't make it back. I'd use 12 gauge steel with rubber mat as the seal. The boat plugs are a good option as well.
The tester fits with the use of a rubber coupler that should be on the tester still. I can send it out next week around Wednesday or Thursday if you still need it.
I'm going to sleep now pm me if you want to borrow it. I tried to resource the parts to build it but Home Depot is no longer selling the t coupler needed.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm definitely going to take you up on that offer LMH! Thank you so much. Currently in the process of moving and apartment searching which sucks here in San Francisco so once I get settled ill PM you about that tester. Thank you.

As far as your questions go, I do have an inline fuel filter and I checked the vacuum line which is on there properly. Also checked the oil pump and it's still screwed in there snugly with the washers. I'm the only person I know in San Francisco with a scooter like this so I can't go borrow someone's carb (I wish), if I was back home in Hawaii that would be another story haha.

I think I got the revving through the roof settled. Went in there to check the slide height and it seems as though the throttle cable moved and had the slide up as if it were at 1/4 throttle. Adjusted the cable and it no longer revs through the roof. But now I can't kick start her anymore. For some reason, only electric start works. Wonder why that could be?

Last night I had some insanely high temperatures. Got up to 370 and wasn't riding nearly as hard as I usually do. Also It was pretty cold last night so I'm thinking I might need to up the jets. I'm hoping it was just because it was a little cold last night.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Three-seven-oh isn't all that insane for a Corsa, but yes, contrary to common sense, engines run hotter when the ambient air is colder. The leaner mixture results from the increased O2 per unit volume contained in colder air, which more than offsets the added cooling from the fan.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well I feel like an idiot haha. This morning when I walked up to my scooter I saw there was a napkin stuck in where the fan opening is. Seems like a coworker or friend of mine was trying to mess with me. Luckily I have a temp gauge and knew to lay off the throttle last night or that would've been an expensive prank lol. Took the napkin out, temps seem to be back to normal so far.
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Thats messed up. He owes you lunch!
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

go loook at the spark plug got black n wet,, cause hard to start condition..
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

bfowler wrote:Well I feel like an idiot haha. This morning when I walked up to my scooter I saw there was a napkin stuck in where the fan opening is. Seems like a coworker or friend of mine was trying to mess with me. Luckily I have a temp gauge and knew to lay off the throttle last night or that would've been an expensive prank lol. Took the napkin out, temps seem to be back to normal so far.
Thats not a joke. Dont mess with any ones baby!! No matter how you feel about it. I would say you owe him lunch, a knuckle sandwich.. Then drain his coolant to his cage in the parking lot and then tell him "oh its a joke. HAHA"
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Hey guys! Finally ended up getting my motorcycle (2014 ninja 300 non-abs) and I've been riding it ever since. Riding a motorcycle has been really fun and I think I'm looking to upgrade soon! Woooo! Been really busy with work and school so I haven't had time much to work on my scooter. Was running fine for a while but I think I had a soft seize (couldn't tell if it was wet spark plug or soft seize). I always have the temp gauge on and it has never been above 370 and I also run 32:1 premix so not sure how it could've soft seized. Spring break is coming up in 2 weeks and I want to spend some time on my scooter and get it running again.

I've tried to clean the carb multiple times and adjust the carb but it still wont start. I know it's getting gas because I can drain the carb and kick it a couple times and the bowl will fill with gas. I'm assuming the spark is good as the battery is still working well. And compression is around 130. Not too sure why I'm not able to start her up. I want to take off the top end and check the piston for scrapes. After I take the top end off, will I need to put on a new head gasket? Do I need to rehone the piston? What tools will I need to reinstall besides the basics that I have from the actual build. Spring break is from march 15-23 and I want to get all my tools and supplies ready before then so I can knock this out and get it running again before school starts! Thanks guys, any information would be appreciated.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Ill second what G9 said about the CT manifold leaking. I was having some surging with my corsa recently and couldnt find the leak till I took off the manifold to inspect it and found gas on each level of the manifold so I cleaned it up and used some honda bond to get better seals and my airleak was solved. worth looking at.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Currently running a 24mm OKO with the ct manifold. When I installed the ct i sanded it down but I will check that for an air leak
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

My tuners could not jet the 24mm oko so I went with the 28mm and my scoot runs fine!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Going to purchase a 24mm polini and see if that fixes the problem. My scooter was running well but I feel the 24 OKO was making run a little odd at times.