Anything that will cause high wot temps beside mj or air lea

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Anything that will cause high wot temps beside mj or air

Post by 1man8scoots »

Ha every single compression test I do I use the motion pro comp tester. Car, truck, lawn mower, weed eater, harley davidson to a malaguti. The length of the tube does not effect your reading. There's a shader valve to keep this from happening. The deviation is so minimal if you can notice the 1/8 # difference your working on a true race engine and are trying to figure out your cr in relation to the atmospheric pressure to perfect your jetting at what ever altitude you go to.
I don't get too in depth with why things are happening as it only confuses people.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Downsouthdio wrote:Put the carb back,watch a vid on youtube on checking compression on a motorcycle..you kick 4-5 times throttle closed,then throttle open until you dont see the guage gaining anymore,,
Exactly.... it can be 30 kicks, you don't stop until the needle does. Most Italian minas take 15-20 before they give the final verdict
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Anyone know what kind of flow rate would be required of a fuel filter to keep up?
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

G9, I hear what you are saying and I don't doubt it. But, other than compression, or a malfunctioning carb, I don't know where else to go. I literally had this motor stripped down to anything thing that could leak, and had it pressurized for over two hours with our it leaking down or finding any air leak. So I just don't think it is a common issue of an air leak. I have no idea what else could be happening. I have some 100octane fuel I can put into it tomorrow to see what happens.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
whitey
Spree
Spree

Post by whitey »

Here's what's I did today. I still can't ride my bike without pulling over to let it cool down below 400.
01 Honda Elite S 120cc Taida H20
78 Honda Hobbit Athena
78 Honda Express/Hobbit Stage6/Athena LC 70
00 Gilera Runner PM Tuning 172
09 Aprillia SR50 Malossi Team MHR
81 Puch ZA50 Polini
71 CT70 Blue
79 Z50 Red
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

That's what I do to all of my kits I care about Whitey.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

codename47 wrote:uhhhhh wouldnt that be less surface area to cool the motor down with? and it be a bad idea?

it's less places for the heat to transfer to. if anyone wants to test this on a known setup and show results, thats good. but i wont do it until i see it or do a test with a stock motor or something myself.
Dude I just said I've done this to engines, also graphite has one of my ported corsas with this EXACT modified head. But you don't want to hear this. Some times I want to just lose hope in people.
You're trying to mean well I imagine but dude cmon I seriously just said I've used this style of head cooling. I mean cmon.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

That's not graphite there who's having the heat issues. Graphite has a great running cylinder with that head mod I personally did. That's whitey having issues with over heating BEFORE he did the mod and still is having issues which are not related to doing the mod. My engines do not have issues like this nor will they ever in the future. 9 times out of 10 it's an airleak, 1 out of 10 it's carb related. 0 out of 10 is timing.
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

graphite9 wrote:start with compression. You need to do a pressure test. There is no way to know whats going on without compression, and pressure test. I should just make a pressure test tool kit.

I'm going to try to get another compression test kit this week. As far as pressure test, are you talking about what I just did to it?
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Holy hole drilling! Is it running that hot just at wot? When mine get hot, I can back down to say 3/4 throttle and the temps start moving back down.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

1man8scoots wrote:That's not graphite there who's having the heat issues. Graphite has a great running cylinder with that head mod I personally did. That's whitey having issues with over heating BEFORE he did the mod and still is having issues which are not related to doing the mod. My engines do not have issues like this nor will they ever in the future. 9 times out of 10 it's an airleak, 1 out of 10 it's carb related. 0 out of 10 is timing.
Man.... I was thinking that it had to be an air leak also, but two things throw me off. First the wot part. I would think that if there was an air leak like that, and I can cruise nearly wot and it doesn't get up that high. Also, I literally had the engine pressurized for over 2 hours without any leak down.

I wish I could just find an air leak and fix the problem but I don't believe it is there.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The wot problem is carb or air leak. Do you have another carb to try or have you cleaned and blew out the one you have?
As long as your plug is showing lean you're lean and must upjet. Can you post a picture of your plug?
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

After the rebuild with the Malossi crank, and reseal, the scooter runs great. It pulls great, is fast, driveability is great. It runs great all the way up to 3/4 throttle
When I go wot over any distance, that is when it the temps start climbing. For instance, if I'm running wot say at like 9000+ rpm, the temps start climbing. I have never let them go higher than 390. Once they start to hot about 380, I can back off the throttle slightly , prob to about 3/4 and the temps will start to drop down again. This is still turning say 8-9k. I want to say I can run that fast at about 330-340┬░. If I go back to wot it starts to climb again.

-The shrouds and fan are brand new from Honda.
-Temp gauge is a trail tech , with ring from you G9. I pressurized it both with a plug and its crush washer, as well as with a plug, no washer, and the temp ring. I didn't find either way to be leaking at all.
The temp gauge seems to be reading ambient temp correctly.
-PG short seems to work well. The other pipe I have is the technigas.
-don't have another carb.
-Vac diaphragm line? Do you mean the van line from manifold to fuel petcock? That seems fine. I held Vac with my tongue to drain the tank.

The bike kinda ran like crap before I just did this work because I had air leaks at the base cylinder, int and exh side where the case halves meet. We cleaned that up, and I've verified it isn't leaking. After this re-re-built, it really runs well. Like I said, it does everything really well except that it gets hot wot. Other than that issue, I don't have any other problems to report.

I'm not sure if there could possibly be something wrong with the carb. Let me see how it does back together with some 100octane, and I am going to try to get another compression tester. If you want to let me try a different carb, that would be awesome, but let me see what happens here first.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

the more I read here the more I come back to carb. I'm trying to wrap my brain around you needing to run something bigger than a 130 MJ. That's a lot of fuel to be pushing through your carb. I know you've gotten advice from my self and G9 about down jetting way down just to see what would happen. Have you tried this yet? I know you said you don't think that's the problem. But I personally have said that about my bike several times and been wrong on many of those occasions. Until try something you can't rule it out. I'd love to see what the plug looks like and see what happens when you down jet like G9 suggested. I'm trying to figure out why you need so much more fuel than my corsa eats up. Your pipe and your crank are different on our motors and that's about it. Is the short that much different than the long? Does the crank make that much of a difference? I don't know but I'm currently running a 108 MJ and no issues and your running a 128 with issues. To me that seems like big difference. I don't know just my thoughts.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Im not against trying anything. I just haven't had a chance to put it back together again from having it apart to pressure check and what not . I'll put it back tonight, take some pics of the slide and needle, try a small jet, etc and see what changes. I'll also try to do a plug chop on it. It's just a pita to try to rip it wot, kill it, and take the plug out on this side of road lol
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~