SA50 looking for 45 mph and decent takeoff

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

mwilliamshs
BMX
BMX

SA50 looking for 45 mph and decent takeoff

Post by mwilliamshs »

Greetings! I've already researched this quite a bit and done lots of math so if you have input as to engine building or any gears other than the 15/42 secondary set that yield a 9.8:1 final, please post that over here.

I have a 98 Elite SR that's completely stock and running well. I enjoy it and ride daily to work, school, running errands, etc. I live in a hilly area and ride on streets with speed limits up to 45 mph.

I'd like to be able to ride closer to 45 mph. I do NOT want to make any modifications that aren't necessary to achieve this goal. No big bore kit, no attention grabbing exhaust, and I want to keep using the stock oil injection system.

My plan is to install the 15/42 gears. I know this will hurt my hill climbing ability and cause slower takeoffs. I'll compensate for those negatives by modifying the variator to stay in a "lower gear" longer (lighter rollers) and the clutch (via contra spring) to stay in a lower gear longer and "downshift" sooner so I don't slow down excessively on hills. I'll either swap ramp plates or variators too. Probably plates at first and variators later if I still want more oomph.

Anybody got a suggestion on roller weights and contra spring to suit the 9.8 gears in a stock scoot with ~210 lbs on board? Any comparison of aftermarket ramp plates on stock variators?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Last edited by mwilliamshs on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
mwilliamshs
BMX
BMX

Re: SA50 looking for 45 mph and decent takeoff

Post by mwilliamshs »

THANKS for the info, codename47!
codename47 wrote:...id do 1000rpm springs in the clutch, but im lighter too, like 140. so. dont kow for sure but i think itd work...id go with both 1000 rpm grabbers, and 1000 rpm contra. maybe if you, want get 1000 grabbers and 1500 contra...
Would a heavier rider such as myself benefit from say 500 or 1,500 rpm springs, versus the 1,000 you suspect to match your 140 lbs? (heavier weight = higher or lower rpm?)
codename47 wrote:...youd just need to work on the roller weights...id try to get a cheap set for practicing until you found what you needed for sure then maybe buy quailty on your roller weights. thats what i pretty much did. youll need 6,7,8 gram weights. they amke this practice set, but its really cheap and will tear up if you forget about them and take yoru variaotr out with them. once they melt and flip sideways in your variator. erm. so, i always just bought the cheapest weights in what i thought id need, some cheap brand, koso, in the weight area id think id be in then tune from there. remember you can swap half and half's. but dont mix up what weights they are if there not color coded, or labeled, by brand or something. might need scales...
What's a good brand of rollers? I've read "Daytona is the best" but can't find them for sale anywhere. This might be a good thread of its own, "Which are good brands and which are cheap junk?" because when they're all foreign and all sold by multiple vendors it's tough for a newcomer to sift wheat from chaff.

For rollers specifically would it go: Daytona > Dr Pulley > OKO > Koso? Are there other major players I've left out?
codename47 wrote:...an aftermarket variator would be better than a just ramp plate, cause youll want to lighten your transmission, drive side as much as you can. for higher rpms, better acceleration which lets you gear higher, easier.
I really just want to eliminate the high-end limits of the stock variator/plate and I've read and believe they're in the plate's outer edges so replacing that should raise my mph ceiling. That shouldn't even be necessary to achieve my goals as the calculations show I should be capable of over 43 mph just with the gear swap and nothing else. I'm really not overly concerned with acceleration; I expect it to be slightly worse than stock I just want it to be safe and not need a mile to get up to 25 mph. I know that'll require lighter rollers than stock to keep the CVT from getting out of low gear too soon. I know I won't be racing right up to 45 mph. I just want to have a higher potential speed than stock. Higher rpms and gearing higher (numberically lower, i.e. 9.8 vs 12.12) don't work together. I get that a higher "launch rpm" would put you nearer the peak power rpm at takeoff but that'll just wear the clutch more and I'd rather leave the clutch alone if possible, except the contra spring which isn't impacting clutch engagement, just pulley geometry.

Thanks again!
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

I've got a 2000 SR, completely stock, put a variator in it, top speed was about 38ish acceleration was amazing, wheelies all the time. I wanted more speed like you, so I installed new 9.8:1 gears yesterday, my top speed increased to around 43-45 according to my gps and depending what way the wind was blowing. Acceleration wasn't terrible, still got up to speed pretty good.
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
mwilliamshs
BMX
BMX

Post by mwilliamshs »

Cmoped9 wrote:...2000 SR, completely stock, put a variator in it...
Which variator? What weights?
Cmoped9 wrote:...top speed was about 38ish acceleration was amazing, wheelies all the time...
Gosh that must've added quite a lot of low-end. I want a scoot anyone can get on and ride without wheelies.
Cmoped9 wrote:...I wanted more speed like you, so I installed new 9.8:1 gears yesterday, my top speed increased to around 43-45 according to my gps and depending what way the wind was blowing. Acceleration wasn't terrible, still got up to speed pretty good.
Sounds perfect!!! Did you make any clutch/driven face changes?

What variator, what weights?

Thanks for posting! Exactly what I want, 43-45 mph and decent acceleration.
Last edited by mwilliamshs on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwilliamshs
BMX
BMX

Post by mwilliamshs »

graphite9 wrote:variators...The stock ones are aluminum/steel, so are aftermarket ones. A malossi, or polini will suit you just fine...
Cool.
graphite9 wrote:...Gears and a variator will put you at 47-51 top speed, cruising nicely at 40-45. A vari kit by itself, should put you around 42-45 top speed...
Right.
graphite9 wrote:...at that weight you will be in the 6.5-7.5 g range...
My weight (210) or the variator weight or uhm...something else?
graphite9 wrote:...Polini vari's come with two sets of rollers, malossi is just one set...
What weight are the included rollers?
mwilliamshs
BMX
BMX

Post by mwilliamshs »

thanks for the info!
xxgamerxx
Noob
Noob

Post by xxgamerxx »

or if you can find a 14x34 gear it wont hurt ur acceleration i can still pop a wheelie with a decent tops of 80kph primary gear is on 12x42 658 dio 3 belt overrange torque drive stock clutch 1krpm clutch 1.5krpm center. here is the image of the 14x34 gear.
Attachments
031.JPG
031.JPG (109.41 KiB) Viewed 6933 times
032.JPG
032.JPG (65.55 KiB) Viewed 6933 times
029.JPG
029.JPG (104.85 KiB) Viewed 6933 times
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

You can get the large japan dio rear pulley, shave the case bolts, use the stock belt for better take off or use the dio belt for more speed.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Do not ever ever ever shave your case bolts. Why would you? Freaking idiot.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Did you just call me an idiot, I want you banned for 30 days, lets go admin kidz start doing :naughty: your job
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!