Finding an Oil Pump Delete Plug for NQ50.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Finding an Oil Pump Delete Plug for NQ50.

Post by Meatball »

OK, guys. I have my 2nd bbk installed after I botched the first one. I ran a compression test when I started having problems on the first one and as you can see on the previous page it was at about 112psi....as of today I did the new install, heat cycled about 3-4 times then carefully ran it about 10 miles doing short trips at no more than half throttle. I deleted the oil pump and am running 30:1 in the tank for break-in. Decided to test compression just to be sure everything is OK...results below..thoughts?
Attachments
new compression test.JPG
new compression test.JPG (101.71 KiB) Viewed 8468 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

That's close to high compression... I like to stay at 130/140 area.. I would use premium fuel...to be safe or run it a jet richer..
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

So compression is at about 145psi. Is that good, bad, normal? I also seem to have a carb leak that just started. Seepage is possibly coming from the bowl seal, hard to tell. Gasket kit ordered. I cant get it to idle at all when cold. Have to keep the throttle on until it warms up then its fine. Is there a good replacement bystarter out there? I keep hearing bad reviews about the cheap $8 ones on Ebay.

Does anyone know if these gaskets fit a Spree? -----> http://www.scooterswapshop.com/products ... ust-gasket
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I would upgrade to an aftermarket carb w manual choke if I were you. Bbks are easier to tune w aftermarket carbs imo.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

145psi is good
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

I got a friend selling a new polini cp 23mm would be great for your build he wants $100 there's no miles on carb just couple heat cycles..
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Cant drop another hundo in the scoot at the moment. Maybe in a month or two. I actually HAVE been thinking about a carb upgrade tho... :wink:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'm not so sure a low-revving Spree cylinder - even at 68ccs - needs as much as a 23mm carb. Corsas rev to the moon with 21s and 24s. I'd go with 17.5 or 19 for much easier tuning.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Did you drill 3 1inch holes in air box lid?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Do you guys think a Spree having the only mods being a 48mm Taz bbk and a set of Taz gears would be fine with the stock carb? It might be awhile before I spring for a carb and am planning to run it all Summer like this. Is there anything I should be concerned about like over-revving, over-heating, etc? What sort of MPH should I expect with both these items installed? Im in the break-in stage of the bbk install and the gears will likely arrive next week sometime. Keep in mind that my hog is an 85' so its a bit slower than later years. When it was bone stock I clocked 26-27 top speed on flat when my buddy has a stock 86' and he gets 30-31.------no, Jake. When I bought my Spree it had six 1/2inch holes drilled in it already. Apparently for no reason other than a previous owner trying to be cool. :smile:
Last edited by Meatball on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

By a temp an rpm gauge makes life easier an life save for your scoot if done already have them
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Meatball wrote:Do you guys think a Spree having the only mods being a 48mm Taz bbk and a set of Taz gears would be fine with the stock carb? It might be awhile before I spring for a carb and am planning to run it all Summer like this. Are there anything I should be concerned about like over-revving, over-heating, etc? What sort of MPH should I expect with both these items installed? Im in the break-in stage of the bbk install and the gears will likely arrive next week sometime. Keep in mind that my hog is an 85' so its a bit slower than later years. When it was bone stock I clocked 26-27 top speed on flat when my buddy has a stock 86' and he gets 30-31.------no, Jake. When I bought my Spree it had six 1/2inch holes drilled in it already. Apparently for no reason other than a previous owner trying to be cool. :smile:
Stock sprees shouldn't have any holes or mods done to.the airbox.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yeah, I bought it totally stock with holes in the airbox lid and the mixture was set crazy rich. Carb was filthy, air filter was toast and it barely ran. I think the previous owner was trying anything to keep it going except for proper maintenance and repair. Ill post a buncha pics when I finally put the plastics back on. Wait till you see the sexy retro carpet! lol...I'll start a chit-chat thread in General Discussion later.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I'm not sure about the gears but the bbk should be ok w an upjet on the factory carb, for now. But you'll probably spend as much on jets and needles as a new/used carb. You can get a 19mm oko for like $65 brand new, and you can get jets cheap (I think a 35/90 combo would be a good start) or just search eBay for used dio carbs. I think there bigger factory too. Just be careful of the Chinese repo stuff it's everywhere. You want your stuff shipped from Taiwan or u.s. for the best chance at not getting ripped off haha. I bought a repro Chinese carb off ebay that literally started dissolving w gas in the bowl. Like the aluminum was melting off and pitting and leaving sparkles of metal in the fuel.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The Taz bbk comes with an 87 jet. Its what Im using and it seems fine so far but I haven't gone WOT yet since I want to be sure its properly broke-in first. Since the bbk install Ive noticed I have a small carb leak. I cant tell if its the 30yr old bowl gasket or if its coming out of the bowl overflow in the back. After a short ride, the whole bowl is wet, tough to pinpoint the spot. Nothing above the bowl gets wet. Just the lower half and it wont do it while idling or even revving on the stand so I can watch. Only after a ride. I have a gasket kit on the way but do you think it could possibly be the float pin not sealing and the bowl is overflowing? The rubber tip looked fine when I cleaned the carb but it so small, hard to tell.