Trail Setup for Stock ‘01 Elite

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Trail Setup for Stock ‘01 Elite

Post by sdugasjr »

Alright, Ive got a few questions regarding setups that would work nicely for like a “dual sport” scooter. ‘01 SA50 SR, bone stock and I’d for the most part like to keep it that way and just do some “bolt ons” and trans tuning if possible. I know lots of people have gotten 60 out of the stock bore on these bikes which would be more than enough for it.

I’ve already got a set of 9.1 gears I’d like to swap in there. But I have a general idea of what I’m doing for the street “portion” of the setup, so I’m not too concerned there.

It’s the trail/light off-roading part. I have a set of knobbys 2.5-10 front and 3-10 rear, and I’d like to kind of form the setup around the gears. Sorry for the rambling, but my questions to you guys are

What pipe is best for low end but will still give me at least 50 on the street? I’m thinking I’d run the NCY V8 style pipe, unless someone can get me the hookup on a PG.

Stock clutches ok to use or should I upgrade at least springs and contra? The pads are in pretty decent condition

I know lots of people recommend Polini vari for stock bore setups, would that also apply here?

I know rollers are a test-as-you-go topic especially depending on what pipe/gears you run, but I’m curious what to start off with as a baseline. (possibly running NCY pipe and 9.1 gears) I’m also only 5’8 and weigh 120 pounds on a good day if that plays into any mathematical factoring of the rollers.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys (and gals?)!
‘87 Elite SE50 - 72cc AF16
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Re: Trail Setup for Stock ‘01 Elite

Post by bonesv »

I can remember my first stock bore SA50 with yms pipe, 9:1 gears, upgraded clutch springs, Polini vari w/7gm. rollers and new oem belt. That setup got me to just about 54 mph and once I installed metro tubeless wheels and 90/90/10's I think it was 58 mph? Maybe that was with the wind? It's been about 8 yrs. or so? I remember that I was about 140-145 lbs.
The other thing is I have heard of guys(or gals)describing damage done to the frame of a scooter after going off road riding and I took that to heart and strayed from any ventures myself. That's what I have to offer you.
Let us know how you modify your frame to handle those whoop-te-doo's and jumps encountered on the trails! Remember that the swingarm is actually the aluminum engine case with about a quarter inch or so of rubber bushing to absorb the shock in rear and the springy front shocks with way-too-much travel in front. Knobby tires may give a little more grip but the small10 inch wheels are not gonna afford you much stability in the corners. Bones
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

:crazy:
bonesv wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:11 am I can remember my first stock bore SA50 with yms pipe, 9:1 gears, upgraded clutch springs, Polini vari w/7gm. rollers and new oem belt. That setup got me to just about 54 mph and once I installed metro tubeless wheels and 90/90/10's I think it was 58 mph? Maybe that was with the wind? It's been about 8 yrs. or so? I remember that I was about 140-145 lbs.
The other thing is I have heard of guys(or gals)describing damage done to the frame of a scooter after going off road riding and I took that to heart and strayed from any ventures myself. That's what I have to offer you.
Let us know how you modify your frame to handle those whoop-te-doo's and jumps encountered on the trails! Remember that the swingarm is actually the aluminum engine case with about a quarter inch or so of rubber bushing to absorb the shock in rear and the springy front shocks with way-too-much travel in front. Knobby tires may give a little more grip but the small10 inch wheels are not gonna afford you much stability in the corners. Bones
Yeah I could understand the concern for bending a frame or other components, I more so want to set it up to do like light trails, no huge jumps or whoops or anything like that. Mainly just putting down like wooded bike paths or something of that nature with stumps to go over at most lol. I will however look into chassis reinforcement any, in case I ever do decide to “rage” it.
‘01 Elite SR
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

You would just need a cross bar from the front somewhere like the neck, to the middle of the frame in front of the motor somewhere. I've seen it done for drag racing and it was in good taste and not overly invasive. That just keeps it from folding in half if you bump into a tree :crazy:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
sdugasjr
BMX
BMX

Post by sdugasjr »

bonesv wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:37 pm You would just need a cross bar from the front somewhere like the neck, to the middle of the frame in front of the motor somewhere. I've seen it done for drag racing and it was in good taste and not overly invasive. That just keeps it from folding in half if you bump into a tree :crazy:
Yeah I’ve seen some sprees set up that way (AF16 swapped of course) but it seems to take up the entire footwell, also seems like if you somehow slide forward off the seat you’ll rack your cojones lol. I’ll have to strip down and take a look at the frame and see how I can make it most structurally sound without making it too much of a burden
‘01 Elite SR