1985 aero 50 big bore kit not cranking

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Aero50owner
Noob
Noob

1985 aero 50 big bore kit not cranking

Post by Aero50owner »

Hi everyone,
A few weeks ago i decided to upgrade my aero a little bit by installing a malossi big bore kit, exhaust, and gears and now i cant get it to start. It seems like the starter doesnt have enough power to turn the motor over. If i take the spark plug out, it turns over just fine, so i dont think anything is siezed. Since its a bigger piston, is the starter just not strong enough? Or is something else wrong? I put a new solenoid and battery in too but that didnt seem to help. If anyone has any answers, please let me know thanks
bonesv

Re: 1985 aero 50 big bore kit not cranking

Post by bonesv »

Your starter is designed for 50 cc's and it's prob the orig? so.....Maybe try kick starting it? Make sure you let it idle up to temp a few times before you go out riding it. Check compression to be sure it's not over 135 psi or you would need hi-octane fuel or another head gasket. Is it stock carb? :? Jetting can be tricky on stock carb setup. Air box or pod filter?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No kickstarter on a stock 1985. You can install the '86-'87 cover and the outer sheave with the castle nubs if the parts can be found. Tough nowadays.

If you have a multi-tester, see that the battery has at least 12.8 volts or more. Charge it if you can, but these batteries won't take a charge after 3-4 years in my experience. Yes the bigger cylinder does require a little more Oomph to turn over, but usually a fully-charged battery is enough. You could always try to get that extra Oomph by jumping from a car battery just to see if it starts OK.

See above for other good advice. Bones is ... um, Are wise.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Aero50owner
Noob
Noob

Post by Aero50owner »

bonesv wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:21 pm Your starter is designed for 50 cc's and it's prob the orig? so.....Maybe try kick starting it? Make sure you let it idle up to temp a few times before you go out riding it. Check compression to be sure it's not over 135 psi or you would need hi-octane fuel or another head gasket. Is it stock carb? :? Jetting can be tricky on stock carb setup. Air box or pod filter?
Ok, i dont have a kick starter on my aero since its an 85, and it is another starter i had bought to replace the old one that was on it. Ill try to comp test it when i get a tester. Im running the stock carb with a re jet. I have a 95 in it right now, but i can go down as i have a whole kit of jets. Im running the stock airbox too.
Aero50owner
Noob
Noob

Post by Aero50owner »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:07 pm Greetings:

No kickstarter on a stock 1985. You can install the '86-'87 cover and the outer sheave with the castle nubs if the parts can be found. Tough nowadays.

If you have a multi-tester, see that the battery has at least 12.8 volts or more. Charge it if you can, but these batteries won't take a charge after 3-4 years in my experience. Yes the bigger cylinder does require a little more Oomph to turn over, but usually a fully-charged battery is enough. You could always try to get that extra Oomph by jumping from a car battery just to see if it starts OK.

See above for other good advice. Bones is ... um, Are wise.
So the cover just bolts up? Thats pretty awesome!
I tested the battery and it reads about 13v so i dont think the battery is too weak. Maybe ill use a car battery to jump it and see. Would the electric starter be able tp start it even if it is a frest start? Like never been started after the install?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes, Honda started all their new 1985s right after assembly.
How hard is it to spin at the front pulley? No binding or catching?
Any reason to suspect too much oil on top of the piston - enthusiastic over-use of assembly lube?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH