tuning advice

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

All 13 grams? so 6 x 13 grams? your bike must run like crap.
I ve seen strokers not even be able to run those weights and wheelie I highly doubt your 72 can.
You need to be somewhere in the 9 gram or less, try 3 x 7 and 3 x 8 ,
or 3 x 7 and 3 x 6 , if the biek wakes up the lower you go run the heaviest weights you can before the bike bogs down
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

opps, i got 3 13s and 3 12s sorry. it dont run like crap and its 50cc not 72 HAHAHAHA , it can wheelie, it does accel pretty good and its awesome. ask darat.
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

hey myspree, post your set up. im interested in seeing what youre running. what compression spring, and clutch springs mainly.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

MySpree wrote:opps, i got 3 13s and 3 12s sorry. it dont run like crap and its 50cc not 72 HAHAHAHA , it can wheelie, it does accel pretty good and its awesome. ask darat.
Big deal, I bet for sure a ped from hawaii 72cc is faster then yours,your weights being that heavy only cause your belt to ride up faster unless your running a 20% center spring but even then all you doing is wasting power to drag.
Dont bother asking him he has no clue.
Run 7 and 8 grams and see how she responds, tuning takes time, I would also go with a lower center spring say 10% or lower if you can get 8% then great.
In tuning it's all about keeping the bike in the power band , you want the smoothest transition from the trans ,belt small in front to belt large in front, it take time and effort,also weights can and will make your bike feel like the jetting is off.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

Duh hawaii bikes can beat me. alot of bikes can beat mine, mines nothing special. my elite is running 8:1 or 9:1 i dont remember totally which one, it has a kelly variator with #2 backplate, Kevlar skinny belt, trs adjustable clutch with stock center springs and whatever springs come on the clutch in the second hole, ss coil, shaved head, ported 50cc and thats all. i had a corsa kit but it has over 2000 miles on it and it was loseing power and the 50cc was stronger by then. the cylinder and piston are still fine so im gonna get rings for the corsa but until then i have a cheap taiwon bore in the mail. i also have a pg long coming.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

nate_lohs wrote:ok i put the weights at 39 grams. it accelerated ok but top speed was really low. like 35mph. i had a 6 pack of 9.5 gram weights so i threw those in and it seemed to accelerate good and top speed was better. it almost went past the mph mark on the speedo. im guessing close to 50 maybe. now im not sure if i should lower the weight or raise it or leave it or what.

something else i noticed is that im using a ton of gas. im on empty after a little over 30 miles. so im probably running really rich.

any thoughts?
I got the 36-42 mark from using that system on about half a dozen peds that i built the motor. That's why I don't know the shoe spring rpm range. Only the color. If it did go faster on the higher grams then i would keep going higher till it starts to lag in the initial rev. Then finely tune the weights by trying to move the weights in the most minute increments that you can either up or down.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

W/C wrote:
MySpree wrote:opps, i got 3 13s and 3 12s sorry. it dont run like crap and its 50cc not 72 HAHAHAHA , it can wheelie, it does accel pretty good and its awesome. ask darat.
Big deal, I bet for sure a ped from hawaii 72cc is faster then yours,your weights being that heavy only cause your belt to ride up faster unless your running a 20% center spring but even then all you doing is wasting power to drag.
Run 7 and 8 grams and see how she responds, tuning takes time, I would also go with a lower center spring say 10% or lower if you can get 8% then great.
In tuning it's all about keeping the bike in the power band , you want the smoothest transition from the trans ,belt small in front to belt large in front, it take time and effort,also weights can and will make your bike feel like the jetting is off.
have you been talking to trevor. Sure sounds like it
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:
W/C wrote:
Nope never did, who is he??
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

W/C wrote:
hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:
W/C wrote: Big deal, I bet for sure a ped from hawaii 72cc is faster then yours,your weights being that heavy only cause your belt to ride up faster unless your running a 20% center spring but even then all you doing is wasting power to drag.
sounds something like what unkle dave would of said. Not that much people would know the drag and stuff unless they talked to unkle dave about it. Infact that post was leterally from unkle dave himself.
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:
W/C wrote:
hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:have you been talking to trevor. Sure sounds like it
sounds something like what unkle dave would of said. Not that much people would know the drag and stuff unless they talked to unkle dave about it. Infact that post was leterally from unkle dave himself.

could you explain what youre refering to? like the drag
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

I think he is referring to David Toba , of tobatech racing.He holds the record for a moped down the 1/8th mile in hawaii of course
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

nate_lohs wrote:

could you explain what youre refering to? like the drag
I dunno my self cause I never talked to uncle dave about what he meant about it. I wish i knew myself. his site is 808mopedriders.com.
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

i couldnt get the adress to work.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

nate_lohs wrote:i couldnt get the adress to work.
http://www.hawaiimopedriders.com