dio into a spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

windycity85
Goped
Goped

dio into a spree

Post by windycity85 »

I tried searching but to no avail. Is there a write-up anywhere about how to drop a dio engine into a spree? is it pretty basic?

thanks
1986 Spree - Sold!!!!
2005 BKM Jazz
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

you need to use a dio mountm and cut is narrower to fit in the spree frame and make a mount o relocate the shock on the frame also,not sure about the brake cable though
windycity85
Goped
Goped

Post by windycity85 »

so a dio main mount and a relocated shock mount? thats pretty much it?
1986 Spree - Sold!!!!
2005 BKM Jazz
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

Believe so, that's all that I've seen done.
But if your doing a dio into a spree I would also put the S front brakes also which requires welding a tab on to the fork leg so that you can mount the front brake hub
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

the best fit is actually an 87 motor mount that you can cut the sides to fit in the spree frame. The motor mount is usually moved back to under the oil bottle i believe. it's been a whlie since i did mines i'll see if i have pics of the conversion parts. Even the front wheel part.The rear brake needs to be changed to an 89 brake cable. You can probably get away with an 87 or elite s (94-01) brake cable but there will be slack under the body.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

mines with an 87 motor mount. I also had a specially welded one that had the motor sit closer. Talk about wheelie city.

a good friends one where you can see the S hub.

another friends one where you can see the side profile of what one might look like

windycity85
Goped
Goped

Post by windycity85 »

wow, thanks for all the pictures. I dont know where I would get the mount. I guess I'd have to try to source one. If you have any pictures of the actual mounts and the differences between my 86 spree one and the one I need I would appreciate it greatly.

I have a welder and quite a bit of metal so if I have to move stuff around its no problem. I am interested in how you moved your motor forward!! sounds rad!
1986 Spree - Sold!!!!
2005 BKM Jazz
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

I think the 87 mount is shorter then the dio -elite S mount, I know for sure that the bolt size for the motor to mount is different, the bushings in the case are a smaller inner dia on the 87 mount and bushings so if your gonna use a 87 mount on a dio either drill the mount bigger-makes it kinda thin or put the 87/aero bushings in the motor
windycity85
Goped
Goped

Post by windycity85 »

alright i can try to figure it out. that bottom black spree is amazing looking. thanks for everything!
1986 Spree - Sold!!!!
2005 BKM Jazz
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

FH would have alot more pictures of some like HMP's watercooled spree
windycity85
Goped
Goped

Post by windycity85 »

will a 92 elite mount work or only an 87? having trouble finding one.
1986 Spree - Sold!!!!
2005 BKM Jazz
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

windycity85 wrote:will a 92 elite mount work or only an 87? having trouble finding one.
th e94-01 tongue would have to be cat and rewelded becuse the tongue sits higher than the 87 one. On FH there is one guy selling an 87 motor mount for $20. " JUNJUNN 22"
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

windycity85 wrote:will a 92 elite mount work or only an 87? having trouble finding one.
Should be pretty decent, I think the only difference is the size of the bolt to the block ,but not a 100% sure
But I am I believe an elite lx-92 or S 94 etc is still longer then the 87/aero mount
windycity85
Goped
Goped

Post by windycity85 »

hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:
th e94-01 tongue would have to be cat and rewelded becuse the tongue sits higher than the 87 one. On FH there is one guy selling an 87 motor mount for $20. " JUNJUNN 22"
I would rather cut and weld one than wait for one to come from hawaii. Im guessing once I get the Dio in front of me I will figure otu exactly what to do.

thanks to everyone
1986 Spree - Sold!!!!
2005 BKM Jazz
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

windycity85 wrote:
hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:
I would rather cut and weld one than wait for one to come from hawaii. Im guessing once I get the Dio in front of me I will figure otu exactly what to do.

thanks to everyone
that is fine as long as you feel you can weld to the strenbth of the original mount. When you see the mount you will understand because the tongue is like a C with extras and not just a full square piece. Plus when you cut and weld you need to try to make it straight.