Is there ANY way to advance timing on a spree?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

badspree
Noob
Noob

Is there ANY way to advance timing on a spree?

Post by badspree »

Hey guys, I really think that I need to advance the timing on my spree. The mods I got so far are, a custom expansion chamber exhaust I welded up, K&N chevy breather air filter, rejetted to 78, pully mod, shaved .02-.025 off head. I just installed the head, and now it sounds like the engine is pinging, which with a car you would adjust by advancing the timing a couple of degrees. I remember seeing somewhere on here that you could oval out the pickup and move it back, is this correct? Oh I always run 93 octane, so I don't think that would be the problem. This is all on a 85 spree. Thanks in advance.
85 spree - polished intake, Iridium Plug, custom exhaust, .025 off head, pully mod, Chevy breather air filter mod, 78 jet,
Pilot needle 4th clip, Advanced timing, 41-43 mph flat ground no wind (depends on temperature)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

ive seen aftermarket cdis for elites that let you play with the timming maybe you could use one of thoose im not sure if the pinout or connector is the same though
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

no you can use elite ones, they are to big, you would need a elite flywheel also which is alot bigger then a sprees, and then the crankshaft for an elite is alot bigger also so you would need a elite flywheel which would NEVER ever fit. so nope :D
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

ive had this problem in the past. well for starters, hopefully u didnt shave too much off the head. that would be the piston hittin the head. as for the timing, ive did this on my spree. on the pick up coil, u have two bolts that hold it on. remove the pick up coil and ONLY oval out the LEFT sides of the holes. u dont have to really advance it much. too much advance, the spark will come to early before the full compression stroke. :wink:
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

The cdi On the spree should be the same as the elite S. Therefore you can buy an FSN cdi that can adjust the timing. Daytona and kitaco might make one too.
badspree
Noob
Noob

Post by badspree »

Where is the pickup coil located? After adjusting the needle circlip to a richer location, the noise went away, but I would still like to oval out the holes for the pickup, to give it a tad more timing. I looked everywhere, can't seem to see where this is mounted.
85 spree - polished intake, Iridium Plug, custom exhaust, .025 off head, pully mod, Chevy breather air filter mod, 78 jet,
Pilot needle 4th clip, Advanced timing, 41-43 mph flat ground no wind (depends on temperature)
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

its on the right side of the engine. remove the fan cover and the fan. look on the bottom of the engine. its directly under the harmonic balancer. depending on your year of spree, its either a 2-wire, or 1-wire plug. blue/yellow stripe, and a green wire. :wink:
badspree
Noob
Noob

Post by badspree »

Thanks alot, that worked great. Now I've been playing with the right position, about how many millimeters have you moved yours over? Mine is set at about 3-4 mm from the original position, runs much better w/ faster, smoother acceleration!
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

you could take out the pin on shaft for the flywheel and then spin the flywheel to make however much adjustment you wanted
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

How's your launch with the expansion chamber?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
badspree
Noob
Noob

Post by badspree »

Launch is better with the timing advanced for sure, but still nothing to brag about, but at least it will go on it's own power without a push like before right after I did the pully mod. Right now the bike runs great after about a 5 min warm up period, and 10 mph - 38mph is super fun, plenty of pickup. I just wish I could figure out a way to put a cable release clutch on this thing so you could control the rpm engagement of the clutch. Kind of like a clutch on a motorcycle. Any ideas?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

:shock: hmm...............now that im thinking about it, u wanna grind out the RIGHT side of the holes on the pick up coil. this way u can move the pick up coil back twards the rear of the spree. the engine spins counter clockwise. moving the pick up coil the other way is retarding it. im thinking of when i advanced the timing on my elite se50 engine, witch rotates clockwise. doing this Does work. although, u dont wanna advance too much. u have to play with it to get the engine dialed in. :wink:
badspree
Noob
Noob

Post by badspree »

You know what the funny thing is, You told me to oval out the holes on the left, by my dislexic butt did the exact opposite and ovaled out the right side and moved the pickup to the left. Guess I did it right afterall :lol:
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

just curious.....did u notice a difference at all when u did the timing? :?
badspree
Noob
Noob

Post by badspree »

Definately! It smoothed out the power curve, better takeoff and just plain runs better. It did not effect the top speed though. I would recommend it for any modded spree. I do run 93 octane all the time now though, to avoid any pinging.