RAM AIR

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

alexhasaspree
Noob
Noob

ram air

Post by alexhasaspree »

im thinking about riging up a heater duct for a ram air system
bad * kids ride bad * sprees lol if their is such a thing
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

My spree is pretty much stock as far as I know. I was palnning on drilling out the baffles and adding one of these things as well... will these two mods require other mods to keep the ride running properly? And will the ram air boost speed or just help keep it from overheating?
Cold grinding grizzly bear jaws, hot on your heels...
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

2fast4u wrote:My spree is pretty much stock as far as I know. I was palnning on drilling out the baffles and adding one of these things as well... will these two mods require other mods to keep the ride running properly? And will the ram air boost speed or just help keep it from overheating?
this will not help or hurt top speed. its just a quick add on that helps fight over heating.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

Any possible adverse effects?
Cold grinding grizzly bear jaws, hot on your heels...
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

2fast4u wrote:My spree is pretty much stock as far as I know. I was palnning on drilling out the baffles and adding one of these things as well... will these two mods require other mods to keep the ride running properly?
i just did both those mods yesterday on my 89 elite and the difference (drilling the baffles made) is great. i have a three slot carb needle which i put on the richest setting just to be on the safe side. so far with three 2-3 mile rides all systems are go and i get better take off and about 2mph more top speed.
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

fact of the matter is nothing bad can happen, nor is it proven that anything good will happen. all this does is help cool your motor.

(now when saying that i mean you fasten it good, it could rip off if put on sloppy at high speeds)
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

im going to make a video tut. soon of this soon to help the noobs
1991--------Tomos Targa-
RockyMtnRoadRash
Noob
Noob

Post by RockyMtnRoadRash »

2fast4u wrote:Any possible adverse effects?
A very very slim chance of crud/muck/airborne glop being more likely to enter the engine compartment. OTOH it's a d*** two-stroke engine so it generally seems to generate adequate crud/muck/glop without any help, and still runs fine.

In short, nah, at worst it's harmless, at best it helps cool the engine.
If my girlfriend ever learns how much I've spent on the scooter, please remember me fondly and take care for my scooter.
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

CHT Gauge

Post by jeremydde »

I have a CHT gauge installed and have since I initially installed my bore kit. I know my average temps from winter on through summer. I will try your ram air mod, then post my results as such. Currently when the weather is around 20 degrees celsius outside the engine sits around 95 degrees celcius under wot, and when it's a little cooler out, like 15-20 degrees the cht says around 85-90 degrees celsius. The scooter is noticeably more powerful when the cht is around 85 to 90, although it could be the cold air the engine is ingesting rather than the cooler head that's making the power, I am not too sure yet.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
28mm Oko Carb 45 Pilot & 132 Main
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i made my tutorials today. it would take forever to upload with dial up so im putting them on a disk. taking them to a friend with comcast and uploading them tomorrow
1991--------Tomos Targa-
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Re: CHT Gauge

Post by dukemartini »

jeremydde wrote:I have a CHT gauge installed and have since I initially installed my bore kit. I know my average temps from winter on through summer. I will try your ram air mod, then post my results as such.
Having installed this on my own scoot i would be really interested in seeing what if any temp difference it made, please post your results.

oh, and i just used a pair of scissors to cut up the cover off a blank cd spindle for mine. too easy
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Thats cool Jeremy, change your gear ratio to 8-1 and dump the technigas pipe for a leovince. The michigan boys still don't how to do a gear change! what a ghetto :lol:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

stillspeeding wrote:Thats cool Jeremy, change your gear ratio to 8-1 and dump the technigas pipe for a leovince. The michigan boys still don't how to do a gear change! what a ghetto :lol:
do you ever know what your talking about? 8-1 causes you to loose some take off. do you have a picture of your moped i can see? or a pic of the speed-o burred? you talk allot of crap with no proof to back it up

Back on topic- were should i post my videos?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

Dac wrote:
stillspeeding wrote:Thats cool Jeremy, change your gear ratio to 8-1 and dump the technigas pipe for a leovince. The michigan boys still don't how to do a gear change! what a ghetto :lol:
do you ever know what your talking about? 8-1 causes you to loose some take off. do you have a picture of your moped i can see? or a pic of the speed-o burred? you talk allot of crap with no proof to back it up

Back on topic- were should i post my videos?
might as well post 'em here..it'll reduce confusion as everything will be all together and not in a separate topic
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i was wanting to post them in the advance documents but i cant post new topics in there
heres the 3 videos. sorry its 3 but if it was all in one it would be 9 minutes long
Video One== How To Make a Ram Air System for a Moped
Video Two== instaling ram air system (without drilling)
Video Three= instaling ram air system (for people who ride hard)

Also how do you post youtube right on the site?
1991--------Tomos Targa-