Shredding Belts

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Shredding Belts

Post by jeremydde »

Today I shredded my Kitaco kevlar belt quite visciously. I would have taken a picture but I didn't think to bring the camera to the side of the road :P .

I called down to VT cycles and asked Keoni why my belt ate itself after only 2000km and he said that it just happens and to run factory belts instead.

I was just curious if anybody else has ever had problems with kevlar belts as the local dealer wants $44 for a stock one when I bought my kevlar one for only $55.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
28mm Oko Carb 45 Pilot & 132 Main
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

go to autozone with old belt
buy new one
profit
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Autozone

Post by jeremydde »

There is no autozone in Canada. I purchased a factory one from the dealer today. Will see how long this one lasts for.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

any auto parts store should be able to match your origanal to a new one
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Change your center spring to 1,000 rpm for your setup and never buy a belt from an auto store due to a liability clause & rpms.
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

One more thing, after you take off the center spring open the pulley by hand and check for binding- 3 pins in the S-groove should be lubed once a yr. if the pulley binds replace it, vt cycles has the 3 pin dio replacement which i use in the u.s. engines i just grind off the high spots on the case ooops!!!! don't let the rookies know :lol:
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Center Spring

Post by jeremydde »

I checked for binding when I had it apart last month and everything was fine. My scoot has been it's fastest with the 1500rpm spring in. I have stock, 1000rpm, 1500rpm and 2000rpm, and the 1500rpm spring keeps the engine in it's powerband and downshifts appropriately as well. I had a dead spot with the 1000rpm spring. I have tried lighter weights as well, but nothing has been as effective as the upgraded spring.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

my step dads moped eats belts like crazy. belts are 38$ from the mopeds hot line
so my step dad got one. took it to napa and they matched it up with one of theres.
they sold him the same belt(looked better quality)for 12$ as an extra
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

I only run a 1,500 rpm center spring on my 107cc full stroker engine "Now" you tell me who is right & who is wrong= you have a big nothing standard bore kit & you over killed it :cry:
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Overkill

Post by jeremydde »

Actually I started with a 1000rpm and it wasn't strong enough so then I upgraded to the 1500. What does bore size have to do with keeping the engine in its powerband? My casing had shaved kevlar in it until I upgraded to a 1500 which means that it was slipping. Oh by the way there are other guys up in vancouver running 1500 center springs with stock bores with upgraded pipes only. It depends on your powerband. Oh ya, spending $15 to try something out is "overkill". I have killed one belt in 2 years. I am so ashamed...
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Crotchrocket
BMX
BMX

Post by Crotchrocket »

I know Keoni...he advised me to use stock belts, and I always have.
I have over 3k miles on my latest belt and its still tight!

Ask Keoni about his 90MPH Honda Elite!!
"CrotchRocket"

1994 Honda Elite SR-Polini 72CC Corsa kit-Polini Carbon Reeds-#100 Carb Jet-Keli Variator-1000RPM Center Clutch Spring-Ram Air Cooling-60MPH!
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Keoni

Post by jeremydde »

Yes I speak with Keoni often too. He advised me not to run kevlar belts as well. They just suddenly shred.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
wedgepilot
Noob
Noob

Post by wedgepilot »

I've had 3 kevlar belts so far with mixed results. The first one lasted for ages, but exploded spectacularly when my engine seized at speed (entirely my fault). :oops:

The replacement I got snapped within 2 days for no obvious reason, and the replacement for that one has been going great so far. :)

Numbers 1 and 3 were slightly longer than stock, whereas number 2 was supposedly stock (and very tight to get on.) I don't know if that's the reason it snapped though.
1990 Honda Dio AF27
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Sounds like your clutch is slipping, try a factory honda clutch which is the best, i tried every other one and they suck exept for the koso, also what carb & gear ratio do you have?
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

best belt is the factory honda belt, hands down!
also you have to remember that a new belt has some slippage because of the release agent they use when manufacturing it. Also the older the belt gets the stronger it will be, if it survives the initial break in hehe. It has to go thru a few heat cycles before it gets better.

As for belt breaking, check your tourqe drive, sometimes the do get out of shape. look at your case too, sometimes a little dremel here and there can do wonders.

aloha
D