molossi build

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

happyman
Spree
Spree

molossi build

Post by happyman »

Got my first mosossi build done yesteday and seems to run real good.run over a 100 miles and took it out for a short blast wide open. the needle went to the bottome of the housing and was at about 8000 rpm.The GPS showed 56 mph. i have all the parts from VT. useing a stock carb jetted to a 94. the plug looks real good.The temp i get is crazy high even crusing at 45 mph. i have to wonder how accurate it is. i am getting readings of 500 degrees just cruseing along. i am a 190lb person so not a huge load. was told it would run 65 mph, but i see no way it will ever do it. supposedly i have 9 gr rollers 1000 rpm center spring and the polini natural clutch springs. the R1 pipe. it don't miss a beat and is very very smooth. i canot believe how it pulls off the line. it will stand it up very easy on the hole shot. also the 8.44 gear.. maybe that is all it will do cause its sure running great.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Good to hear. 500F is definitely way too hot though, 350-400F is optimal operating temp, usually cools to 280-300F at idle.

56mph and stock carb not bad!
projects galore :nerd:
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

dam 500? im surprised it didnt seize...
anything over 400 is not good at all. Thats defiantly time to slack and start playing with the throttle to kool it down.
stock carb, thats a big problem, Its not the main jets, its the pilots. Most of your cooling comes from the pilot jets.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

tru72 wrote:dam 500? im surprised it didnt seize...
anything over 400 is not good at all. Thats defiantly time to slack and start playing with the throttle to kool it down.
stock carb, thats a big problem, Its not the main jets, its the pilots. Most of your cooling comes from the pilot jets.
this is not good news. i wil have to get new pipes and carbs plus the intake .. i have two of these but the second one is not done. was gonna start on it mon. looks like i am going to wait tilli get all the parts now to make it run cool. i have a brand new R1 pipe still in wrapper/ and one with very low miles.. so it seems i will not be able to cool it with stock carb and this pipe? i don't do much town driving. i hit the side doads and enjoy the countryside at hopefgully 50 mph or so cruseing along/ it does cool off a lot if you run it at 35 or so. bout 250 is all. at idle its just at 200 is all. it is much faster than a stocker on take off. its actually fun in town at the lights. i just don't care to ride anymore than i have to in city driving. its too many people that are asleep at the wheel/
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

pipe would be ok.. cooling comes mostly from the pilot.. thats why its best to run the biggest possible when tuning. thats why if you notice when you ride, it seem to cook when your off the throttle or even at idle. Make sure yo upre mix too, never trust those oil injectors. 40.1 or about 3.5 oz to a gallon. Use good oil too, Not wall mart weed eater LOL. Make sure also that it is a premix, not injector, If possible. With 8.5 gears in my 72cc polinin i get a top speed of 72mph, and that is checked with a gps and police radar gun LOL But i have tones of internal motor & cylinder porting.
good luck! your getting there! 56 isnt that bad for a unported motor
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

tru72 wrote:pipe would be ok.. cooling comes mostly from the pilot.. thats why its best to run the biggest possible when tuning. thats why if you notice when you ride, it seem to cook when your off the throttle or even at idle. Make sure yo upre mix too, never trust those oil injectors. 40.1 or about 3.5 oz to a gallon. Use good oil too, Not wall mart weed eater LOL. Make sure also that it is a premix, not injector, If possible. With 8.5 gears in my 72cc polinin i get a top speed of 72mph, and that is checked with a gps and police radar gun LOL But i have tones of internal motor & cylinder porting.
i am not too familar with these 2t mlotors. i know if oi ride this thing in town it stays below 300 but the speed is 35 or a blaast to 45. out on secondary roads i like to maintain at least 45mph. that runs the motor up to 500 . let of it instantly drops to a very safe leval at idle its barely 200.
one thing let a person who is pretty decent at these things do some porting. not sure of all he did. some on the exhaust and may have raised the port around a ring thickness. did some port transfer work too. and i think something else too.. i went out last nite and gaveit a run and blew it too 57.5 but i had to tuck to get it there. would have prolly went more but it was once agian hot.i don't kn ow how much this person knows but he did my kymco also and its a nice runner. i
just remembered i think the person who did the porting may ahvedone the little bar across the block. think he said he thinned it out a bit how much, i am not sure. thin its quite a differance. i will say it will bury the speedo very quickly. but its to dang hot. it never has felt like it was gonna seize. must be the amsoil Domanator .. injector oil.
so are you saying to run the mix on the stock setup also or just with the big carb and pipe setups?? anyway thanks for the info i need all i can get
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

tru72 wrote:pipe would be ok.. cooling comes mostly from the pilot.. thats why its best to run the biggest possible when tuning. thats why if you notice when you ride, it seem to cook when your off the throttle or even at idle. Make sure yo upre mix too, never trust those oil injectors. 40.1 or about 3.5 oz to a gallon. Use good oil too, Not wall mart weed eater LOL. Make sure also that it is a premix, not injector, If possible. With 8.5 gears in my 72cc polinin i get a top speed of 72mph, and that is checked with a gps and police radar gun LOL But i have tones of internal motor & cylinder porting.

one thing on the R1 pipe with a molossi big bore and the 28mm. carb and intake.
Keoni of VT said it would choke it down, and i need to get a new pipe.. can a person drill these pipes somehere to get more flow, or is as you stated before its jusk great the way it is. not agraid to spend the cash to get it to run the best it can. figure if i have to get big carb and intake i may as well get everything to make what i can be and if iall it takes is the R1 i am happy with that too Thanks
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Drilling out 2 baffles helps a little, it will also be louder so people can hear ya form long distances and not run you over.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Drilling out 2 baffles helps a little, it will also be louder so people can hear ya form long distances and not run you over.
is there a method for this drilling or where to locate them for drilling..
i like the idea of people just maybe able to hear. i don't mind some noise.. my Kymco has a RS pipe and a nice airbox that is louder than the pipe and at 9-11000 rpm the thing is real loud.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Should of got a different pipe. Dont butcher the R1, sell it and buy proper matching pipe.
projects galore :nerd:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

happyman wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:Drilling out 2 baffles helps a little, it will also be louder so people can hear ya form long distances and not run you over.
is there a method for this drilling or where to locate them for drilling..
i like the idea of people just maybe able to hear. i don't mind some noise.. my Kymco has a RS pipe and a nice airbox that is louder than the pipe and at 9-11000 rpm the thing is real loud.
You simply shove a big drill bit inside the muffler though the tip where the exhaust comes out and drill out two of the restricters.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

burnt_toast wrote:Should of got a different pipe. Dont butcher the R1, sell it and buy proper matching pipe.
i would take this advice. :wink:
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:
burnt_toast wrote:Should of got a different pipe. Dont butcher the R1, sell it and buy proper matching pipe.
i think you are correct
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:
are you saying the R! is not the right peipe for the currant build? or just if i go to the big intake and carb setup??
Thanks
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

im saying you should not drill the baffles, or anything like that.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.