what would be the best gear ratio for my 1994 honda elite??

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

what would be the best gear ratio for my 1994 honda elite??

Post by justinnielsen01 »

i want it to go faster i was told to go 9:1 but my take off would not be so good. what should i get for more top speed and the same or better take off. i am adding an aftermarket pipe if that helps take off.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

You can't buy gears that will improve top speed and take off at the same time, it defies physics. You can do other stuff that will help take off or top speed individually, but as far as gears that do both, not ganna happen.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

/\ /\ /\
that is true.

Gearing it lower will improve the top speed. But slow your take off.
Gearing it higher would make your take off insane. But kill your top speed.

Thats why people always do bore kits and gears. Bore kits add allot of take off. So when you do a bore kit you add lower gears. That way, your take off will still be a hair better then stock, and your top speed will be allot better.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

sorry about all the question but i took the washer out of the exhaust and removed the variator restrictor and it went from 28 to 40 thanks for the help
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

you are correct on that 9 to1 gear ratio for a stock derestricted elite-s with bore kits the trans is dialed in to the way you like to ride, so many tricks & combo's i should write a book on this stuff lol!