Accelerate faster? [Carb tuning]

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nparks
Spree
Spree

Accelerate faster? [Carb tuning]

Post by nparks »

Okay so I've been riding my Elite almost over 400 miles now. The head is broke in for sure. I tried going WOT yesterday, but it makes a bogging sound like it's not mixing the air and fuel right when you'd think that opening the throttle would make it accelerate faster. Is this due to lack of fuel? If that's the case is it just a matter of adjusting the carb, or will I need to rejet the carb?
nparks
Spree
Spree

Post by nparks »

And all of you with bore kits, should the engine be able to lift the front wheel off the ground from take off? My kit feels like it should be more powerful than it is. I only weight 150 and it doesn't really have power until 15mph or so.
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

id check the roller weights if it only has power when you get to 15. buy a couple diffrent grams like a 5 7 and 9 and try them all. see what works best
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Plug chop.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
DorkoElite303
Spree
Spree

Post by DorkoElite303 »

What kind of center spring are you using??? If your rocking the blue (2000rpm) one it usually doesn't pull that hard on take off. But does pull hard though. If you are using something like the red (1500rpm) it usually has a harder catch when flipping the throttle.

But like the other guy said.....Plug chop. Also...what have you done to your trannny? I noticeed when i did my bore kit....that the lighten flywheel and the clutch springs and the center spring gave me the take off I liked.
fastgtp99
Goped
Goped

Post by fastgtp99 »

I have 9 and 11 weights in mine now and it pulls hard all the way real good. I was tryin to pull catwalks with it last night and all i had to do was pull alittle bit. I did notice that it seems faster but my speedo shows slower and i dont know why. I had 8 and 9s in it before.
94 Elite s50, 72cc, 9:1 gears, 50mph so far
billsykills
Noob
Noob

Possibly Running Rich

Post by billsykills »

First of all, I am not expert at scooters, but it sounds like you are having a similar problem that I had and I am learning more about scooters by working on my own.

I just put in a 72cc big bore kit into my 96 elite and I was having the same problem with bogging out after about half throttle. The head was running fairly cold and my plug chop looked good, so I figured that I was running way rich. I moved my carb needle clip to the highest setting and I derestricted the factory airbox (opened up the second chute that takes in the air) and it has made a huge difference. Make sure you are keeping track of the temp on your head while you make any changes to air intake or jetting.
96 Elite S
DorkoElite303
Spree
Spree

Re: Possibly Running Rich

Post by DorkoElite303 »

billsykills wrote:First of all, I am not expert at scooters, but it sounds like you are having a similar problem that I had and I am learning more about scooters by working on my own.

I just put in a 72cc big bore kit into my 96 elite and I was having the same problem with bogging out after about half throttle. The head was running fairly cold and my plug chop looked good, so I figured that I was running way rich. I moved my carb needle clip to the highest setting and I derestricted the factory airbox (opened up the second chute that takes in the air) and it has made a huge difference. Make sure you are keeping track of the temp on your head while you make any changes to air intake or jetting.
You still running stock intake and carb? How about you exhaust? You know, when you upgrade to a big bore kit, you should also upgrade the carb, intake, and exhaust. You will see a huge amount if difference.
nparks
Spree
Spree

Re: Possibly Running Rich

Post by nparks »

billsykills wrote:First of all, I am not expert at scooters, but it sounds like you are having a similar problem that I had and I am learning more about scooters by working on my own.

That's what I'm scared about. I don't want to run too lean and break anything.