What is meant by a "press" here?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

What is meant by a "press" here?

Post by Elite-ist »

Quoting Doc here

Highspeed pulley+9:1 gears $105 shipped from VT
takes about an hour to put it all together, but you do need a *** press ****to press the old gear off and the new gear on.
Top speed will jump to 50mph. No break in is needed, just put them on and go. Keeps your bike quiet, this is good for allot of people because of the area they live. Since your using the stock cylinder you can hold it at full throttle for long times without seizing. Take off will drop some, but not as bad as you would think.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

like a 1ton press.

you can take the gears to a trans shop and they should be able to do it.
The first time i had a friend do mine, the second time i took it to a local
metal shop, an they did it for free because it didnt take long.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Image[/list]
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
nparks
Spree
Spree

Post by nparks »

It took 10 tons of pressure to press my gears... I heard that it's not normally that hard to get off, but d*** 20,000lbs on a little scooter gear haha...
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

nparks wrote:It took 10 tons of pressure to press my gears... I heard that it's not normally that hard to get off, but d*** 20,000lbs on a little scooter gear haha...
40,000 pounds, the press my dad has is rated for a 30 ton jack but we have a 20 in it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

is there a walkthrough for doing this anywhere? Replacing stock with 9:1s?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Elite-ist wrote:is there a walkthrough for doing this anywhere? Replacing stock with 9:1s?
It's not hard man.. Just pull off the clutch with an impact, then remove the 8mm bolts from trans case. knock it with a rubber mallet till its loose.

keep track of the spacing washers, and you'll be able to visibly tell which gears you'll be replacing. For secondary gears you'll also have to remove the wheel.
projects galore :nerd:
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

burnt_toast wrote:
Elite-ist wrote:is there a walkthrough for doing this anywhere? Replacing stock with 9:1s?
It's not hard man.. Just pull off the clutch with an impact, then remove the 8mm bolts from trans case. knock it with a rubber mallet till its loose.

keep track of the spacing washers, and you'll be able to visibly tell which gears you'll be replacing. For secondary gears you'll also have to remove the wheel.
so when does the press come onto play?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4489
This is how to install them.

the press is needed for the second gear. Its pressed on the rear shaft. you have to have a press to get it off, and the new one on.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

Dac wrote:http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4489
This is how to install them.

the press is needed for the second gear. Its pressed on the rear shaft. you have to have a press to get it off, and the new one on.
that looks complicated - if i took my scooter to a machine shop and said can you press this off and then press this on would they know what to do?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Elite-ist wrote:
that looks complicated - if i took my scooter to a machine shop and said can you press this off and then press this on would they know what to do?
Yea.
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Elite-ist wrote:
Yea.
Cool thanks - do you have to lift the entire scooter up and sideways to sit on the press properly? Thats what it looks like in the Adv Tech Docs thread or am I crazy?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Your completely insane, the gears and shafts come out of the bike, you press the old gears off the shafts and press on the new ones.
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Your completely insane, the gears and shafts come out of the bike, you press the old gears off the shafts and press on the new ones.
Oh now I get it! I am so jealous of your vast knowledge - sorry too keep asking dumb questions but I am trying to learn engine/trans mechanics from about a zero starting point :)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Thanks, your willing to learn and thats all that really matters.